China supplies Zimbabwe with ammunition.

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Maybe its time to impose a no fly zone over Zimbabwe.

New York - UN experts have "credible information" that Zimbabwe may have received Chinese arms this year via Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to a recently published report.

The UN Security Council report cites four Boeing aircraft flights that took place between Kinshasa, Harare and Lubumbashi and "transported a total of 53 tons of ammunition destined to the Zimbabwean army" between August 20 and 22 this year.

"While this is not a violation of the arms embargo, it is an indication that the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) could become a transit point for weapons destined for other countries."

In March, the Security Council extended an arms embargo until December 31 targeting the many armed militias operating in eastern DRC, but not the government's armed forces, the FARDC.

According to the measure, Resolution 1807, the FARDC can receive military equipment as long as the exporting country informs the council's sanctions committee ahead of time.

Weapons originated in China

But the group of experts on the DRC said they "obtained information regarding military supplies flown to FARDC from Khartoum without notification to the sanctions committee".

The group also "received credible information that the weapons transported originated in China" and has written to the Chinese government.

"As the Democratic Republic of the Congo does not produce weapons or ammunition, this stock would have been imported to the DRC without notification and then possibly exported in violation of the original end-user agreement with the original exporter," said the report, published on December 12.

Beijing has been investing heavily in the DRC in recent years.
It lent the central African country an estimated $9bn in May to restore its infrastructure and revive the mining industry, following a $35m investment into the Congolese postal service last January.

Fighting since August 28 between Congolese rebels and the Kinshasa government has displaced more than 250 000 people in DRC's eastern Nord-Kivu province.

I heard the machetes used during the Rwandan massacre were also imported directly from China for such an operation. The Rwandans ordered an insane number of machetes and the Chinese asked no questions.
You think Mugabe is trying to fight a war with someone to turn the attention away from the failed economy?

I think it more likely Mugabe will use lead injections to cure his epidemic as well a few opposition members, it is all about self preservation so it is unlikely he will attack anyone outside his borders given the shape of his countrys economy and defence forces.

I heard the machetes used during the Rwandan massacre were also imported directly from China for such an operation. The Rwandans ordered an insane number of machetes and the Chinese asked no questions.
You think Mugabe is trying to fight a war with someone to turn the attention away from the failed economy?

I think Mugabe is convinced that either UK or the US or perhaps both are going to invade. Mugabe's troops are beginning to mutiny as reported on the news here recently, without a doubt Mugabe is losing his grip and support.

Ah right, he's just playing the whole "common enemy" game to unite his people. But at this point, an invasion from outside may just be what his people are praying for!

Ah right, he's just playing the whole "common enemy" game to unite his people. But at this point, an invasion from outside may just be what his people are praying for!

You hit the nail on the head. However, if UK and the US invades I can hear the screams from the roof tops, in particular South Africa, '"IMPERIALISTIC COLONIALISM."

Mugabe lost his grip a while ago, but unfortunately he has not lost his support, and I don't mean the support of his people. He has the support of the security apparatus in Zimbabwe, and no one outside the country cares enough about this basket case to commit troops to overthrow him. The most his people can hope for is that he will die soon. Unfortunately, his cronies will probably be almost as bad (such as we are seeing now in Turkmenistan).

Mugabe lost his grip a while ago, but unfortunately he has not lost his support, and I don't mean the support of his people. He has the support of the security apparatus in Zimbabwe, and no one outside the country cares enough about this basket case to commit troops to overthrow him. The most his people can hope for is that he will die soon. Unfortunately, his cronies will probably be almost as bad (such as we are seeing now in Turkmenistan).

South Africa has always been a firm supporter of Mugabe, they have repeatedly blocked attempts at the UN to try and sort this mess out. Botswana has been one of the African states that has been an outspoken critic of Mugabe, but as you rightly stated, none of the African states will send in troops.

Mugabe's hasn't the complete support of his security services, troops are beginning to mutiny and perhaps it won't be too long before the police begin to follow the troops.

Something has got to give, sooner rather then later.

Last edited:
Then what?
Another unstable self serving corrupt strong man will take his place and the cycle continues.

Back