China influence seen as positive

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:BBC News

_40890225_china2_influences_gra416.gif

China's influence on the world is seen as positive by more people than is the case for the US or Russia, according to a new BBC World Service poll.

In total, 48% of people polled in 22 countries said China's role was mainly positive. Only 30% saw it as mainly negative.

The majority of respondents were also positive about the communist nation's growing economic power.

But far fewer people wanted to see an increase in its military might.

Even in neighbouring Asian countries, which have historically been suspicious of China's dominance, opinions were relatively benign.

An exception was Japan, where only 22% of people polled said China had a mainly positive influence.

Most Japanese respondents expressed no opinion, with only 25% saying China's role was negative.

The survey of 22,953 people was conducted for the BBC World Service by the polling organisation GlobeScan, together with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (Pipa) at the University of Maryland.

Steven Kull, director of Pipa, said: "It is quite remarkable that with its growing economic power, China is viewed as so benign, especially by its Asian neighbours."

"However, this cordial view... does appear to depend on China restraining itself from seeking to convert its burgeoning economic power into a threatening military presence."

Economic growth

In 17 of the 22 nations polled, more people thought China had a positive influence than a negative influence.

China came out favourably when the results were compared with similar surveys looking at the global influence of Russia and the US.

An average of 38% of respondents saw the US as having a positive influence, with just 36% saying the same for Russia.

Indeed China, at 48%, is almost on a par with Great Britain, which scored 50%.

China's growing economic power is also seen as positive in the majority of nations polled.

Even in Mexico - whose manufacturers are often in direct competition with those in China - 54% of people polled were positive about China's economic rise.

But China's growing military might appears to be a less welcome aspect of its increasing global standing.

Only 24% of respondents said a rise in China's military power was a positive development, while 59% said it was negative.

Among the most concerned nations were Australia, Japan and the US, as well as many European nations.

The EU is currently considering lifting its embargo on arms sales to China.

A BBC correspondent in Beijing, Tony Cheng, says China has rarely felt the need to look beyond its borders for reassurance in the past.

But China is opening up. Widespread use of the internet and expansion of the mass media have brought the rest of the world into ordinary people's homes for the first time.

According to our correspondent, there is therefore an increasing concern about how the country is perceived, with Chinese citizens aware that progress will only come if they engage with the rest of the global community.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

I'd say I don't have any problems with China becoming the next superpower if they do not support Pakistan.
IMO, some animosity left between the two nations is India's concern of China's backing for Pakistan.

China's Influence --> Mainly Positive ---> India ---> 66

^ that should tell the Chinese ppl something ;)

You can see how South Korea's completely torn almost perfectly in half on this matter.
China has the slight edge due to rampant anti-Americanism.
I'm surprised by the Filipinos who have actually felt the power play wrath of the Chinese in the form of the Spratley dispute.

"The majority of respondents were also positive about the communist nation's growing economic power.

But far fewer people wanted to see an increase in its military might. "

With one comes the other. You can't just have one. And China's pretty much declared already that it's going to use its economy to advance its military to become the de facto power in Asia.

I'm very surprised that the India is so pro-China. I would have thought they would have been much more concered about the 400 pound gorilla on their doorstep.

I'm very surprised that the India is so pro-China. I would have thought they would have been much more concered about the 400 pound gorilla on their doorstep.

The general thinking among the public on the internet is that there's a lot of animosity between India and China when in reality there's not much to it.Many Indians are China fans and many Chinese are India fans..there's a lot of cultural exchanges taking place between them too...plus theres that common thing of ancient civilizations that existed in those two nations.

I would have thought they would have been much more concered about the 400 pound gorilla on their doorstep.
The other thing IMO is that India cannot do much about it, just accept the fact that things are like that and move along with it rather than against it.

I find it odd how allot of people think that China ... won't do anything to the US if they become a more greater Superpower. I'm not bashing China at all (my adobted brother is from there) so I don't have any problems what so ever. But the fact that other country's that will remain nameles, are selling China weapons ... more than they already have. There army has increased and probably will continuly to steadly increase. Plus if China every went to war with the US, you'd think if they absouletly needed to they'd have a draft. And we all know China is over crowded, and they government probably wouldnt care to loose people scince it is over crowded. So If they ever went to war with us ... theyd out number greatly.

Well you might argue we would have say Europe with us, well not always. For example Tony Blair is all for the US ... but the british people(most of them) aren't in sopport for Bush. And Blair is up for rellection soon. And it doesn't look to good for him. And our realtions with say France(my home country) and Germany ..aren't really ..say good. Although they have gotten considerable better. So.. if (IF wich I hope and pray there isn't another war that we shouldn't and don't need) we go to war with China .. the odds would be against us.

And plus since China is communist you'd think they'd also have the power of North Korea, and if it comes down to it I think that they would be able to persuade Cuba as well. Cuba isn't near a world power but there position to the communist's is vitile.

So lets just say Tony Blair doesn't get re-ellected, our realtions get worse with Germany and France, and China decides Bush PO'ed them to the final point. Not only would Iran, North Korea and the majority of foreigns side with China (wich would probably be the case) then .... I don't even want to think that would happen. But on the other side if people sided with us .. still wouldn't it be massive casualties. And China is a communist country .. so wouldn't you think if they were loosing and about to be forced to do something like give up there nuculear capabilities .. don't you think they would result to Nuculear warfare. They already don't care about there people so what if we bombed them back what would they care?
Thats just my 2 cents.

~ Travis

china is over-all friendly and moderate, (seeing lots of chinese here in Vancouver, just too many, and i love their chinese new year celebration, and chinese food)

the only thing disturbing is china's communist totalitirian government, if looking at china's 5000 years of history, it is generally a peaceful and open-minded nation

I see this as a positive thing. Influence goes both ways, this will help everyone see more options and keep everyone more open minded. It is only when a nation that separates itself from the rest of the world and start dreaming how everything ought to go its way that problems start to occur. China is much more open than it used to be, and that's definitely a good thing.

Of course military build-up is not so cool but in China's best interest it is important to have power backing up any option, be it right or wrong.

the only thing disturbing is china's communist totalitirian government, if looking at china's 5000 years of history, it is generally a peaceful and open-minded nation

Replace communist and put capitalist in the near future. There is nothing disturbing about Totalitarism. I understand the need for stability and peace within a country. Trust me, it's extremely difficult to control a populous country such as China, especially when there are escalating tensions between the poor and the rich. So in my opinion, China will have to remain Totalitarian for the moment...for their sake.

I think it's Ok sort of that there seen as a good influence. I just hope there "good influence" doesn't over ride our sopposed "good influence".

Although I do suggest picking up the Chinese language.. theres many dialect scince every city practicly has there own version .. but just learn Mandarian fun but hard. Don't even try to attempt to learn how to read it .. I think it's practicly im-possibly for someone non-chinese to be able to read it without decades of practice.

I'm a Liberal, but I don't hate bush. But what I do hate is the effect he's given this country. I understand alot of countrys don't want to get into war with us, but hey bush isn't the most charismatic person there is. I thikn he's spread out our troops too far.. and if indeed china "positive" influence on the world turns negative to the US .. what are we going to do? I don't think we have a standing chance in hell against china.
(sorry had to get my opinion out)

well over the years i felt that the more i learnt about history and the modern times i find that china deserves more than the titiel she has now

china historically, now, and in the futre forever will be one of the most imfluential countries in the world, no matter what happens

some radicals in this forum think that the chiense influence is a negative thing and some think its not allowed to happen, heres my opinion:

historicallly china hadn't done much invasion of foreign countries, some used only to create a border or to destory rebels that invaded china. we just like to stay behind our wall of greatness.

cmon now, we used to be the most powerful country in the world, becoming a giant economic power is natural to happen.

AA said:
well over the years i felt that the more i learnt about history and the modern times i find that china deserves more than the titiel she has now

china historically, now, and in the futre forever will be one of the most imfluential countries in the world, no matter what happens

some radicals in this forum think that the chiense influence is a negative thing and some think its not allowed to happen, heres my opinion:

historicallly china hadn't done much invasion of foreign countries, some used only to create a border or to destory rebels that invaded china. we just like to stay behind our wall of greatness.
The great Ming fleet sailed off to see the world. They came to the distinct conclusion that there wasn't anything at all far outside China that was actually worth bothering with. Sadly enough, that assessment would have been dead right at the time. Still, they made their rounds and established trade throughout the South Pacific and Indian Oceans anyways. Enormous fleet BTW.

AA said:
cmon now, we used to be the most powerful country in the world, becoming a giant economic power is natural to happen.
China itself is truly the only one that can sabotage that future. I don't know whether Confucian ideals will help or hurt. Still, population doesn't always equal economic power. The economies of Japan and Germany stand as excellent modern examples of that.

this report do point out two things,
one, china's surrounding envirnment is improving politically and socially.
this will give china more stable envirnment to develop.
secondly, look at the data regarding U.S, i have to say CNN's everyday reports paid off. even the long time foe japanese is having mixed feeling about the china's rising infulence, however, when the whole world cautionly looking forward to see an great rising nation, the americans hard line cold war minded reporters like lou boub is still yealing "communisit this and that.....threat this threat that.." everyday on TV, it is kind disappointing.
=============================
China itself is truly the only one that can sabotage that future. I don't know whether Confucian ideals will help or hurt. Still, population doesn't always equal economic power. The economies of Japan and Germany stand as excellent modern examples of that.
japan has 130 million people, germany 85 million, both them can be considered large populated countries. i do agree that population doesn't always equal economic power, but still, you need to consider this, country like china and india, GDP per person, around 1000 dollars when US like 60,000. believe or not, even maxico is a lot of times higher than china and india. there is a lot improvement can be made.

k19 said:
japan has 130 million people, germany 85 million, both them can be considered large populated countries. i do agree that population doesn't always equal economic power, but still, you need to consider this, country like china and india, GDP per person, around 1000 dollars when US like 60,000. believe or not, even maxico is a lot of times higher than china and india. there is a lot improvement can be made.
Here is what I was getting at. Please notice where Japan and Germany are in the rankings for GDP compared to their ranking in population. Japan, with the 10th highest population has the 3rd highest GDP. Germany is the 14th largest population, yet they are 5th in GDP.

True that they are among the larger populations of the world, but consider how many nations there are with much much greater population that they easily outperform. The United States is perhaps a better example, but that's old news.

http://geography.about.com/cs/worldpopulation/a/mostpopulous.htm
Countries with the Largest Population
1. China - 1,294,629,555
2. India - 1,065,070,607
3. United States - 293,027,571
4. Indonesia - 238,452,952
5. Brazil - 184,101,109
6. Pakistan - 153,705,278
7. Russia - 144,112,353
8. Bangladesh - 141,340,476
9. Nigeria - 137,253,133
10. Japan - 127,333,002
11. Mexico - 104,959,594
12. Philippines - 86,241,697
13. Vietnam - 82,689,518
14. Germany - 82,424,609
15. Egypt - 76,117,421
16. Iran - 69,018,924
17. Turkey - 68,893,918
18. Ethiopia - 67,851,281
19. Thailand - 64,865,523
20. France - 60,424,213

http://www.nationmaster.com/printable-T/eco_gdp_gro_dur_199
Graph: Economy: GDP (Top 50 Countries)
1. United States $10.45 trillion (2002 est.)
2. China $5.989 trillion (2002 est.)
3. Japan $3.651 trillion (2002 est.)
4. India $2.664 trillion (2002 est.)
5. Germany $2.16 trillion (2002 est.)
6. France $1.558 trillion (2002 est.)
7. United Kingdom $1.528 trillion (2002 est.)
8. Italy $1.455 trillion (2002 est.)
9. Russia $1.409 trillion (2002 est.)
10. Brazil $1.376 trillion (2002 est.)
11. Korea, South $941.5 billion (2002 est.)
12. Canada $934.1 billion (2002 est.)
13. Mexico $924.4 billion (2002 est.)
14. Spain $850.7 billion (2002 est.)
15. Indonesia $714.2 billion (2002 est.)
16. Australia $525.5 billion (2002 est.)
17. Turkey $489.7 billion (2002 est.)
18. Iran $458.3 billion (2002 est.)
19. Thailand $445.8 billion (2002 est.)
20. Netherlands $437.8 billion (2002 est.)

i understand what you means, i do point out that i agree your statement. in fact, i am at a country that short people but strong in economic---canada, hehe.

all i want to say is that it is true in the sense that the higher populated countries may not always be the economic power, but the population do play a major consideration in this matter. and of coure their will be truck loads of other factors, so i just think we should not ignore the population role in the economic discussion, it's an economic recources too. (maybe the only resource you don't want to have too many lol..)

k19 said:
i understand what you means, i do point out that i agree your statement. in fact, i am at a country that short people but strong in economic---canada, hehe.

all i want to say is that it is true in the sense that the higher populated countries may not always be the economic power, but the population do play a major consideration in this matter. and of coure their will be truck loads of other factors, so i just think we should not ignore the population role in the economic discussion, it's an economic recources too. (maybe the only resource you don't want to have too many lol..)
My point is mostly a sidenote of course. I quite agree that population plays a tremedous role. Actually, in retrospect, Canada and Ansterdam would have been better examples to use.

It could easily be said that larger population gives you the most important ingredient for a powerful ecomony. Of course, that hasn't kept some of some of the most populous nations in the world from performing FAR below what you would expect. China has boasted that in the semi-distant future, they will surpass the USA in overall GDP. They have 4 times the population of the United States, so this should be obvious to anyone, so long as China does it right.

Mech said:
Quote:
population doesn't always equal economic power

dude, chinas not only population, that kinda offended me
Not following how this was offensive. Sorry if it was. Would you be so kind as to explain why that statement offended you. I never intend to offend.

your statement population doesn't always equal economic power kinda gave me the impression that population is the most significant thing about china, we have more than people you know

anyways, back to tpoic

i dont know why people are that upset about china developing, why is it so hard to accept for some people??

Back