China Increases Military Spending by 14.7%

sandy

http://www.sinodefence.com/news/2006/news06-03-04.asp

Jiang En-Zhu, the spokesman for the ongoing 4th session of the 10th Chinese National People’s Congress, disclosed that China is to raise its military budget by 14.7% in 2006 to 283.8bn RMB (US$35.1bn).
Jiang confirmed the increase in a press conference on 4 March. He explained that much of this rise will be used to cover four aspects: to cover the increase of servicemen’s pay; to offset the increasing fuel price; to invest more on the education; and to cover the purchase of new equipment.
Jiang insisted that China’s military spending is lower than that of ‘some countries’ in terms of both total figure and proportion of the country’s GDP. He said that China is a peace-loving nation, and is committed to a path of peaceful development with "no intention of vigorously developing armaments".
Underestimated Figures
Jiang compared China’s military spending with other major Western nations. In 2005, China’s military spending was US$30.2bn, which is lower than that of the United States (US$401.7bn), United Kingdom (US$48.8bn), Japan (US$45.3bn), and France (US$36.5).
In 2005, the military spending of China is 1.36% of its GDP, which is also lower that that of the United States (3.6%), United Kingdom (2.59%), and France (1.98%).
In 2005, China allocated 7.43% of its overall budget to defence, comparing to the United States (17.8%), France (11.4%), and Germany (9.25%).
However, the United States has several times accused China of understating its military budget.
A previous report by the US think tank Rand in May 2005 estimated that China’s military spending is between 2.3~2.8% of the nation’s GDP, which is 40~70% higher than official Chinese government figures. Other sources estimated that the actual figure could be 2~3 times higher than the published figures.
It is believed that China has excluded certain costs from its annual defence budgets, including the military technology R&D. Some weapon purchases from Russia were also put under special government funding rather than defence budgets.
Neighbour’s Concerns
The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has seen double-digit increases in its spending since the early 1990s. The increases have caused concern among neighbours Japan and Taiwan.
As Taiwan’s independence trend grows, the Taiwan Strait has already become one of world’s hottest spot. The Chinese Communist Party and the government have repeatedly asked the armed forces to get ready for ‘military struggle’. The recent territory dispute and worsening relation with Japan is another reason that pushes China to raise its military spending.
China insists its military spending increase is in line with the development of its economy and rises in other governments.

chinese-canadian said:
and many of them seriously under-paid, compared to civilians

True.

The comapny I visited in Southern China used to pay USD 35 monthly to the production line workers.:confused:

things in China are generally 5-10 times cheaper than in North America

like beer,food, clothes, video games, computer parts, furnitures, books (especially).

ya,and for example
35USD equals to about 300 Yuan,

with 300 Yuan I can buy about 10 books in China (20-30 yuan each copy that is the price)

but in North American, books are like 30-40 some USD...so ten books are like 300-400 USD..

even the book with exactly same contents and quality of printing ( I just went back to China last year and bought tonnes of books back)

ya,and for example
35USD equals to about 300 Yuan,

with 300 Yuan I can buy about 10 books in China (20-30 yuan each copy that is the price)

but in North American, books are like 30-40 some USD...so ten books are like 300-400 USD..

even the book with exactly same contents and quality of printing ( I just went back to China last year and bought tonnes of books back)

Depends where in China...
In Shanghai and Beijing its not so cheap as it used to be, the prices there are similar to those in the west, but in other parts of china its still cheap (you can buy real DVDs for 1USD!!!).

shocktroop said:
Depends where in China...
In Shanghai and Beijing its not so cheap as it used to be, the prices there are similar to those in the west, but in other parts of china its still cheap (you can buy real DVDs for 1USD!!!).

books are fine in Beijing and SHainghai...but the price of real estate is really no different from that in Western world now......

but in my city, Taiyuan...things are still fine (although real estate is getting a bit scarier too)....

the best thing about shopping in China is buying video games...a real Half-life 2 with steam CD-key costs me only 5USD in China...

It's a Communist Government. No thanks. I don't want my hard earned dollars supporting their government.

Also, the Chi-Coms are trying to become the next super power and with the Current war that the USA is in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Chi-Coms might want to make a move on Taiwan. And the USA might not have the manpower to stop them. (Fat Chance, but still. That is what they think.)

5.56X45mm said:
It's a Communist Government. No thanks. I don't want my hard earned dollars supporting their government.

Also, the Chi-Coms are trying to become the next super power and with the Current war that the USA is in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Chi-Coms might want to make a move on Taiwan. And the USA might not have the manpower to stop them. (Fat Chance, but still. That is what they think.)

well, i dont know where u get such kind of information. really funny. u know, cold war is ended 16 years ago. be sincere, do u really understanding the other nations. or the only information source for u is cnn?

5.56X45mm said:

ya..China is still communist...lets look at the fact

1. it is very unequal
2. free market
3. rich has the power,not workers

is that communist?

and people in Taiwan are our brothers and sisters too, ask them if they want a war and just status quo and everybody does business and earn money

Chinese people have endured a lot during the past two centuries and finally they have the chance to rebuild their civilization, and here comes an ignorant Americans laughing at us....

not very good

and finally they have the chance to rebuild their civilization, and here comes an ignorant Americans laughing at us....

If rebuilding invovles invadeing free nations (Taiwan) then were going to do a lot more than laugh.

Back