China Increases Military Spending by 14.7%

a country (usa) has a military budget equal to that the rest of world combined is blaming a country (chn) with budget that was less than 1/7 of her size. what was their intention then.

Last edited:
a country (usa) has a military budget equal to that the rest of world combined is blaming a country (chn) with budget that was less than 1/7 of her size. what was their intention then.

We need that budget to keep order, to be daddy of the world. Like in Iraq in 91 and panama and grenada, kosovo and korea. After 60 years of protecting the free world I think even the states harshest critics recognize that its forces keep the peace.

ya..I agree

but seriously...Chinese government just wants to pay its troops better...(maybe closer to the standard of U.S soldiers)...

also, I think the increase in the military budget is in coherence with China's economic growth...

by the way, China is also cutting its army too.

(*if you want to response to this post, dont forget to read my previous posts )

en...cost of food and clothes of course are covered by government (although that is also the piority of putting money into...as the quality of foods in PLA were far behind that of other armies in the world)

however, there is also salary for troops...
increasing salaries can attract more bright people to the army, and to the officer corps

k, according to this article (from an anti-china site)

the pay of a second lieutenant is currently 2000 Yuan, about 250USD..
a private's pay is currently 200 Yuan, (wa....), about 30 USD..

and also according to this article,
starting from this year, the pay will rise dramatically to catch up to the standard of civilian jobs..

so the lieutenant may get 3000 Yuan this year..about 400USD..
a private will get 100 Yuan more a month..

all monthly payment..

still pretty low even after the increase..

http://www.kanzhongguo.com/news/articles/4/12/28/78846.html

Bear in mind the average Chinese citizen only makes 400 yuan a month $50 USD. Compare the percentage increase the Chinese soldier is better paid already in comparison to society at large than their American counterparts are when compared to the salary of the average American.

According to the US Department of Labor the average American in 2002, the most recent statistics I could find, earns $3177.00 USD a month. A soldier in the US Army at the rank of E-4 makes $1662.00 USD a month. Roughly half of what their civilian counterpart earns. Even if you add in housing and food you would not draw level with civilian pay levels. Whereas the Chinese soldier makes five times the salary of the average civilian Chinese.

As 03 is fond of saying, something has my bull:cen: meter pegged.

the average earning included peasants in China..
I am talking about jobs in cities.
A bright young man can find a job paying 3000-5000 Yuan a month in China easily..
so why bother to go to the army earning like 300 bucks or just 2000 bucks..

and plus you have to endure the tough trainings and obey orders and have limited freedom of use of time...

that is my point

You are being very disingenuous. In China a bright young man from the countryside has no opportunity to seek employment in the cities because the government controls migration through the Hukou system. You cannot be legally employed unless the government approves it. So you must take into account that only 10% of the population has access to those higher salaries of the city employment. The other 90% are relegated to working in the low paying rural jobs or illegal labour which are rarely paid.

Even IF they do get access then the salary of the Chinese soldier draws even with the higher salaries of the city. Whereas the American soldier is still earning only a fraction of the AVERAGE American civilian.

Health and welfare increases for the soldiers my arse.

lol...about 200 million people from country sides are currently working in cities ( a quite big pressure, since the relaxation of Hukou sytem many years ago, my dad was from countryside actually, and went to univesrity in a city and got a job , and that was in 1980s..village of Donghuang, district of Hejing)

and i am talking about a universtiy graduate (6-7 millions each year) and they find a job pay them 2000-5000 (that is like basic in many cities)

and here comes a soldier who has to fight and die for his country, gets only 300 Yuan a month...

also, you forgot to include that U.S army can pay for your educatin aftere years of service..(that is lots of money for many people)

do they have that in China???
how about food standard? (far behind civilians in my opinion)

and by the way
your usage of dirty words (arse, plus last time the f-word) are really pissing people off you realize that?

I am here trying to reason with you and you play some cheap shots at people

that is not GOOD!

oh, 300 is for a private
3000 is for an officer

by the way,
I thought i asked for proves that you have interviewed wounded protesters and stuff

and , I am waiting on msn to discuss your increasing use of swear words against me in other posts

Back