China Increases Military Spending by 14.7%

bulldogg said:
Not surprisingly all Chinese dodge the irrefutable and objective piece of evidence that lays waste to the entire argument of a "peaceful China"...

en..you see Bulldog...those signs are what left from the past, from the crazy age of revolution...those are the left-overs of last-generation of communists

As you are a resident of China (apparently), you notice that not many people give a damn today about these politics, but more of money.

Ya, it is true many people in China hate japanese, yet more like Japanese pop cultures and japanese appliances (sale of japanese goods actually continue to rise despite the call to stop buying them)

It is true that many hate Americans, yet more want to go study and to visit U.S, to work with Americans, to get American investment

those signs represent nothing, their only significance is probably creating some jobs in propaganda department (which has been cut in the past decade dramatically and continue to be the target of job cuts in the government).

China wants no war with anyone, Chinese leaders know that a war will ruin not only the great economic growth ahead, but also the only legtimacy of Communist rulers left in China.

That is absolutely true, China wans no war, but if Taiwan is to declare independence, they will attack at all cost to reclaim what is rightfully theirs!

That is absolutely true, China wans no war, but if Taiwan is to declare independence, they will attack at all cost to reclaim what is rightfully theirs!
Then china wants a war.

By your logic the united states still rightfully belongs to britian and france.

not really though, both PRC and ROC know each other's bottom lines, and no one will likely to cross the line (Taiwan population still largely supports status quo--as proposed by Nationalist party, which has won both parliment elections and municipal elections recently by large margins)..

chinese-canadian said:
en..you see Bulldog...those signs are what left from the past, from the crazy age of revolution...those are the left-overs of last-generation of communists

As you are a resident of China (apparently), you notice that not many people give a damn today about these politics, but more of money.

Ya, it is true many people in China hate japanese, yet more like Japanese pop cultures and japanese appliances (sale of japanese goods actually continue to rise despite the call to stop buying them)

It is true that many hate Americans, yet more want to go study and to visit U.S, to work with Americans, to get American investment

those signs represent nothing, their only significance is probably creating some jobs in propaganda department (which has been cut in the past decade dramatically and continue to be the target of job cuts in the government).

China wants no war with anyone, Chinese leaders know that a war will ruin not only the great economic growth ahead, but also the only legtimacy of Communist rulers left in China.

The anti-japanese riots of five months ago completely contradict your out of hand dismissal of this question. The PLA troops had to be mobilised to put a stop to the riots. Hardly the work of people who "don't care". I cannot tell you how relieved I am that these signs and all this rhetoric spewing from the moutpieces of the CPC "represent nothing" and have had no influence. Your masters have trained you well.

Well, did you know that the majority of the PLA in China is used to quell rebellion! The strongest are only stationed near Taiwan, India and Vietnam!

bulldogg said:
The anti-japanese riots of five months ago completely contradict your out of hand dismissal of this question. The PLA troops had to be mobilised to put a stop to the riots. Hardly the work of people who "don't care". I cannot tell you how relieved I am that these signs and all this rhetoric spewing from the moutpieces of the CPC "represent nothing" and have had no influence. Your masters have trained you well.

Have you even read my entire post?

because I have mentioned following fact.

Despite the anti-Japanese protest and constant government anti-japanese rhteroics, people still buy Japanese goods (sale actually increased), study in Japan, love Japanese pop culture, play Japanese video games (like Romance of Three Kingdoms series, which are very popular games in China), and work with Japanese people.

The age of fanatic revolution is over. China is all about business today.

and sure, I think we should put up those signs to remind today's generation, who is in general very lazy, to work hard, so their motherland will never fall to invaders again.

The buying of Japanese products has nothing to do with them being "ok" with Japan it is about the Asian mentallity of being willing to do business with your enemy if it serves your purpose.

As for the age of fanatic revolution being over... chew on this- only 10% of China's population has seen any benefit from these years of opening up. That means 90% of 1.3 billion people don't give a damn about business because it doesn't affect them and they haven't seen anything in their own lives improve because of it. In China last year there were over 70,000 incidents of protests by the people that were met with force. This hardly sounds like the days of fanaticism are over. Business minded culture, sure, for 10% of the population. And my point is further emphasized by the message from Wen from this year's NPC. Beijing fears a mass popular uprising. In fact they have all but openly acknowledged it.

why not?
DId not the anti-japanese protestors want people to stop buying japanese goods and stop even touch anything that is japanese??
and did it happen despite the fact that everybody in China knows waht Japan did to China?
and that shows:
Chinese people want to do business reasonablely and peacefully, and want to bury the old grudge.

also
everyone of the 1.3 billion people has been benefits from the openning up, just different degrees. Near all families have TVs today for example, and back 20 years ago, TV was a luxury.
Supplies of goods are abundent. Farmers can sell their goods. There are no food shortage anymore.
about 70,000 incidents of protests in a nation of 1.3 billion, I think that is fair number, even in the democratic U.S, there are thousands of protests each year.
and your quote of "met by force", I guess you just saw one report (one out of 70,000) that has gone violent..and you tell me everyone of the 70,000 is met by violence, isn't that saying my neighbour likes apple therefore everyone's neighbour likes apple?

business minded is for everybody. Go ask people on the street. and tell me if you can find anyone saying "revolution" is ahead of making money??

Yes every one of those 70,000 protests were met by force. I have read 14 reports on this and the number of protests that were not met by force numbers over 170,000. The total number of protests last year was 240,000. I personally have seen or talked to the witnesses of over 30 protests in my province alone. I have seen their bruises, visited the family members of those who were killed and have visited four in hospital.

Stick to what you know. You aren't here and your continual dismissal of facts atests to it. All you know is Taiyuan, what your relatives tell you and what you CHOOSE to believe of what you have read. And that is fine, you have a right to choose what you want to believe but attacking me for what I know and believe to be true is hardly a measure of fair play or perhaps it is in a totalitarian state, you tell me.

One last question, if everything is so wonderful why is everyone who CAN get out fleeing this paradise and more directly if you believe it is such a wonderful place why don't you return right now? You are over 18 you can make your own decisions, what's the story? I am curious to hear it.

bulldogg said:
Yes every one of those 70,000 protests were met by force. I have read 14 reports on this and the number of protests that were not met by force numbers over 170,000. The total number of protests last year was 240,000. I personally have seen or talked to the witnesses of over 30 protests in my province alone. I have seen their bruises, visited the family members of those who were killed and have visited four in hospital.

Stick to what you know. You aren't here and your continual dismissal of facts atests to it. All you know is Taiyuan, what your relatives tell you and what you CHOOSE to believe of what you have read. And that is fine, you have a right to choose what you want to believe but attacking me for what I know and believe to be true is hardly a measure of fair play or perhaps it is in a totalitarian state, you tell me.

One last question, if everything is so wonderful why is everyone who CAN get out fleeing this paradise and more directly if you believe it is such a wonderful place why don't you return right now? You are over 18 you can make your own decisions, what's the story? I am curious to hear it.

lol...fine, 14 out of 240,000, nice odds for that one

As i have been living in China for 13 years, and most of my family members are alll there, and I speak mandarin and I have seen many protests in my city, my province and my country, I think I know what i am talking about on this issue.

and by the way, I challenge you to provide any facts that you even talked or visited anyone in any protests in China...

Chinese polices are people too, local police are from the same city, they are cousins, uncles of those who are protesting. Unless in extreme situations, violence is not used. Most of time compromises are made, like in my city. Last summer when I went back to China. About 2000 workers of Tai Gang ( a stated-owned enterprise) lost their jobs due to reforms, they went to the provincial government building (my city Taiyuan is the pronvincial capital of Shanxi).Did the police use violence? No. The government agreed to put them on pirority list in the labor "market" (a platform for umemployed workesr to find jobs). The issue was peacefully resolved.

Yes, if China is hell, I plead to you leave China now and get back from civilized world.

Personally, I acknowledge the fact that China is very far behind from developed nations. That is why I come to UBC and learn about the advanced business models of North America and afterwards go back to China to work my dad there.

70,000 of the 240,000 were met by force. Is that easier for you to understand?

Anyway, good luck on your studies, be sure to ignore all the stuff they teach regarding business ethics or you will sorely disappoint your father upon your return.

Could you bring up some sources? specific events? (except the one that a couple farmers got killed...that was a tragic event, and local police cheif got arrested for that)

and your "eyewitness" account, I "demand" (not really, just ask) for some proves.

I highly doubt China would even dare to take over nieghboring countries. Because China may just lose more than it willg ain.

agree.
why invade others if we can cooperate and benefit each other economically

right now,China, Japan and India, along with other Asian nations are working to build another free-trade area..

why fight?

Back