China Increases Military Spending by 14.7%

I guess it's good for China to raise their defense budget if they want to be a power to be taken seriously.

Remember, the USA have raised their defense budget far more in the last few years.

No country has to raise their "military" budget to be taken seriously. Look at how some people in this forum alone are reacting to the presence china has in the global market. Not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing. just an observation. Plus the fact that Wal-Mart just announced increasing it's Chinese employees (in China) to 150,000 total, now with the Iran nuclear thing, not to mention any number of other things I am not aware of.

Defense Budget may as well be called Offense Budget. It is a matter of semantics. That is why I generally interpret it to mean Military Budget.

The reason the US has raised it's military budget should be self explanatory if you have kept up with world events at all in the past few years.

Well, the only thing about the super power thing is that if US raise it's defence budget, no one will complain. On the other hand, if China raise it's Defense Budget, Everyone will talk! This is the problem with a Super power and a super power to be!

Is there such a thing as a true "superpower" anymore? I mean to hear everyone else talk about it the US is almost bankrupt, we have nothing but the enmity of the world etc. How can the US influence the world at large when the world pretty much dislikes us?

Is there such a thing as a true "superpower" anymore? I mean to hear everyone else talk about it the US is almost bankrupt, we have nothing but the enmity of the world etc. How can the US influence the world at large when the world pretty much dislikes us?

The brits, aussies, japs, kuwaitis, indians etc might have something to say about that.

Rabs said:
The brits, aussies, japs, kuwaitis, indians etc might have something to say about that.

I was a little broad with my paintbrush when I made that statement.

I should have said: "Is there such a thing as a true "superpower" anymore? I mean to hear most people talk about it the US is almost bankrupt, we have nothing but the enmity of the many in the world etc. How can the US influence the world at large when alot of the world pretty much dislikes us? "

Back