China Increases Foreign Military Training

sandy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5685315,00.html

Tuesday March 14, 2006 7:31 PM

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]
By GEORGE GEDDA
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - China is training increasing numbers of Latin American military personnel, taking advantage of a three-year old U.S. law that has led to a sharp decline in U.S.-run training programs for the region, an Army general said Tuesday.
Gen. Bantz Craddock, who oversees U.S. military operations in Latin America, said military members of all ranks are receiving training in China, In addition, he said, more and more Chinese non-lethal military equipment is showing up in the region...It's a growing phenomenon.''
Craddock testified before a Senate Armed Service Committee hearing where lawmakers from both parties called for the elimination of the law that authorizes U.S. training programs only under certain conditions - requirements that some countries refuse to accept.
The measure has given the Chinese military an opening in Latin America for the first time.
Committee Chairman John Warner expressed concern over the Chinese activities as did Sen. Carl Levin, the ranking Democrat on the panel. Sen. John McCain suggested that repeal of the amendment should be included in an emergency supplemental legislation now being considered.
Said Sen. Hillary Clinton, ``I think this is one of the most serious problems we face,'' alluding to the Chinese actions. The committee has a duty to ``sound the alarm,'' she added.
At issue is a U.S. law that mandates an end to military training in countries that refuse to exempt U.S. citizens overseas from the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.
Nations that join the ICC can evade U.S. sanctions can by signing an agreement with the United States that provides Americans immunity from ICC prosecution.
Twelve Latin American countries have declined to do so and are now subject to sanctions. Craddock testified that in 2003, a year before the law took effect, the United States trained 771 military personnel from countries that are now sanctioned.
The training curriculum, he said in his prepared testimony, includes instruction on the importance of civilian supremacy in the governing process.
The reduced U.S. role, he said, ``opens the door for competing nations and outside political actors who may not share our democratic principles.''
Lawmakers approved the legislation out of concern that Americans overseas, including military personnel, diplomats and ordinary citizens, could be subject to politically motivated ICC prosecutions.
The ICC was set up four years ago under U.N. sponsorship in an attempt to ensure that perpetrators of genocide or crimes against humanity are brought to justice.
On another subject, Craddock said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was playing a ``destabilizing'' role in the region by trying to export his ``extreme populist movement'' elsewhere in the region.
Among Venezuela's target countries, Craddock said, are Peru and Nicaragua, both of which are due to hold presidential elections later this year. Venezuela's actions, Craddock said, are making its more difficult for these countries to establish democratic roots.
[/FONT]

it is nothing personel (or political), it is strictly business..

Chiina just wants to get more cash.

I bet U.S helps to arm and train Middle-east dictators' armies, that is all about oil

according to Sandy's article
"Craddock testified that in 2003, a year before the law took effect, the United States trained 771 military personnel from countries that are now sanctioned. "

wow..China has a lot to learn from the U.S

chinese-canadian said:
it is nothing personel (or political), it is strictly business..

Chiina just wants to get more cash.

I bet U.S helps to arm and train Middle-east dictators' armies, that is all about oil

Too many differences here. I dont get it why you keep comparing an evil communist government with a democratic government like the US

The US promotes decency, freedom and democracy around the world while the Chinese spread their evil idealogies in south east of Asia, latin America and parts of the middle east.

by the way, cut the crappy rhetoric and tell us where the US govt deliberately supports the dictators in the middle east?

en....how about Saudi and UAE and Pakistan..

U.S sell weapons to them and train their troops....

and these nations are some of the most totalitirian government..

and dude
dont use double standards.

Luis, I think this is a good thing. We now clearly see where these Central American governments loyalties lie and where they do not. Now, what is to be done?
:)

"communist bad"..

the third time I reply to your comment with the same answer

China is not a communist nation anymore, it is totalitirian capitalistic.

I think a quick lesson on the difference between communist and capitalism can help.

Chi-can, you will never change Luis's mind about this. As long as the government that rules China is labelled the CPC it will be Communist for many many people.

ya..i guess so..
but it is like a sheep wearing the skin of wolf...

and you certainly know that China is not a centralized economy anymore right? because you work in China...

Back