China has a aircraft carrier!

wow thats an ugly ship!

shichang-pic1-s.jpg

you call it a carrier? yeah right, a super tanker can hold more choppers than that.....

It's more of a converted container ship. I've seen a few that have the structure at the front instead of the back.

it is more like a rescue ship which carries helicopters...

than an aircraft carrier...seen no anti-ship missiles or anti-air stuff on it...

it is just a target if putting it on during a war

well im sure it wasnt meant to be used for laundry,and ppl who made it scertanly thought of better reasons to spend who knows how much millions of yans :lol: (i apologise in forward since i dont know how to spell that curency)

Snauhi said:
SHERMAN said:
that is not really an aircraft carrier.

yeah its a laundry ship :p

It's classified as a aircraft carrier, China's one and only classified aircraft carrier.

Marksman said:
well im sure it wasnt meant to be used for laundry,and ppl who made it scertanly thought of better reasons to spend who knows how much millions of yans (i apologise in forward since i dont know how to spell that curency)

I thought that said yams :lol:

aircraft carrier, not airplane carrier

we often think of aircraft carriers as carrying fixed winged planes

thats a tanker man, definetly a converted helicppter pad

in this case, alot of countries has aircraft carriers, even canada does

It can launch the YAK-38 Forger and if you got your hands on it, the AV-8 Harriers. So can it launch fixed wing aircraft? Yes.

That thing is no tanker. Tankers don't look like that. It's a converted container ship. You can take a look at it and it looks just like one. I've been on a few. You could easily convert the deck to carry VTOL aircraft and attack choppers. Because it has a lot of space under the deck, you can install an elevator and have maintenance and storage below as well.

it can carry 2 of them... thats hardly a carrier. many countries have ships that can carry 1-2 helicopters, dosent make them aircraft carriers.

Well it's all relative. Most of the world's "Aircraft carriers" fall under the category of "amphibious assault ship" in the USA :lol:

That has got to be the smalles fuel tanker/ container ship I've seen in a while. I worked at a container yard in Houston for a while and let me tell you, it should be VERY easy to converte a full size container ship to an aircraft carrier capable of launching. The cargo holds on container ships are basically huge gaping holes in the deck - which really lends itself to lift installations for aircraft. Ok, it won't carry 80 aircraft, but I think it's safe to say that with one of the super tankers or container ships, you should be able to field at least 20 aircraft.

Novel idea, nonetheless...

Bushpig, my dad worked with ships for a good deal of his life and I've been aboard quite a few transport ships of many kinds. All you need to do is do a bit of modifying and your container ship will make a fine Harrier aircraft carrier.

Back