China Denounces U.S. Report on its Military

Duty Honor Country

By JOE McDONALD, Associated Press Writer

BEIJING -- China denounced a U.S. government report that Beijing wants to expand its regional military power, insisting Wednesday it is no threat to its neighbors and accusing Washington of looking for excuses to sell weapons to rival Taiwan.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said it filed a protest with the U.S. Embassy in Beijing over the Pentagon report.

"The report has baselessly attacked China's modernization of its national defense," Deputy Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said in a statement, accusing Washington of looking for "an excuse to sell advanced weapons to Taiwan...

READ MORE

LOL

Reb, TW is different issue, ownership still in debate.

It is funny this report only revolve Taiwan. Hello! Rebs, China's neighbor includes Viet Name, India, Mongolia, Russia, Korea, Japan, and other South East Asia. The Pentagon is just using scare tactics to control China's progression, just look at Lenovo and Unocal deal, all hyped up for the wrong reason.

Re: LOL

Boobies said:

It is funny this report only revolve Taiwan. Hello! Rebs, China's neighbor includes Viet Name, India, Mongolia, Russia, Korea, Japan, and other South East Asia. The Pentagon is just using scare tactics to control China's progression, just look at Lenovo and Unocal deal, all hyped up for the wrong reason.

Could you share me more details about you called the Lenovo and Unocal deal. I wanna learn about that.

Re: LOL

niva said:
Boobies said:

Could you share me more details about you called the Lenovo and Unocal deal. I wanna learn about that.

A Chinese Government owned and operated oil company is seeking to buy Unocal. This would give the Chinese government access to important oil assets in Amerca and Asia. However Chevron recently made a bid for Unocal, not only does the deal offer slightly more money but it also keeps the company under American ownership. I don't see how the Federal Government couldn't step in though if the Chinese government was trying to aquire access to our oil. IMO that would definetly fall under the category of National Security risk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4646577.stm (older)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2005-07-20-unocal-usat_x.htm (Yesterday's paper)

Probably true.

I'd say it's probably true.
China threatened to Nuke us [the U.S.] about a week or two ago.
I have no idea why China is not considered a Super Power.
Thoughout the last 60 or 70 years at least, I think the United States has done nothing but show fear towards China. The main reason we didn't win the Korean and Vietnam wars was because the American government was afraid of China getting involved the way I see it. I think China is much more of a threat to us [the U.S.] then is being let on by the media. Then again, since most of the media is liberal, they probably don't want to admit it and just exist and pretend nothing is wrong with it. Very much a French governemnt attitude with our media here in the States, except maybe Fox News.

It was really a fear of a war with China meant war with Russia.

We completed our objective in Korea. We lose vietnam because of home politics not anything military related.

He...

Mr. Rooster, it is America that always threaten to nuke China with advices from some hardcore right-wingers, not China, check McCarthy, and general concensus in the States.

And please provide some hardcore evidences that Chinese Congress has announced the possibilities of using nukes against the US before you post your piece.

It is the negative attitudes that make the US-China relationship in a rocky spot. We all benefit from positive Sino-US relationships. I don't understand why you don't think about improving the relationship, instead keep pushing the two nations to opposite directions. To make matter worse, Pentagon is making China to be the biggest enemy because of her potential of being wealthy, strong, and enjoying economic, social leverages. The sad thing is, you are buying into it.

Please make things better instead of make' em bitter and rotten.

well that was 50 years ago, not to mention it was widely reported that a top chinese general said they would nuke the US if we tried to stop them from attacking tawain. I wouldnt care about chinas rise, if it handt been secured threw slave labour, manipulateing its currency and social oppression.

Hmmm

Rabs, look at 2002, US announced the possibility of using nukes against countries that included China. Don't tell me the US was all angel throughout its years.

And labour slavery? Oh please, defined it. Labour slavery is mere by-product of capitalism. If you insisted to call CHina exercise labour slavery, please do study China's economic structure before its opening to the west first. Hello? a factory worker makes much better income than an engineer under US company and some union certificates? I think you need to study economics more IMO.

Manipulating currency? How so? a developing country must use under valued currency to compete and to improve its infrastructure. And foreign companies do enjoy such under-valued currencies and cheap labour to produce better and cheaper products for you to enjoy. Do you want to pay tripled prices on fewer products? I guess you owe some gratitudes to China, Vietnam, India, and any other developing and third world countries. Currency manipulation is a political scape-goat. Once again, you need to study econmoics more.

Social oppression is the only one point you are right on the spott. However, all societies went through social oppression. China should not be targetted as the only evil for you were evil once. Use this point to hate China is inconsiderate and a moot point. You can only encourage China to improve instead of hatred and alienation. I guess you need to study Tony Robins on this one.

Choco, don't tell me that the US and its citizens never wanted to and threatened to fight China, please look at 2002. You want examples? Rabs' past posts on China issues would be a good examples on such mentalities.

TW is still part of China for Chinese, so it is Chinese business to unite. It is not up the US to determine who is or isn't the family. I hope they unite on a common ground without bloodshed and without having someone meddling and cloak-and-dagger in their backs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_China#Economy

"A unskilled worker at a Chinese factory in the rural area, costs a company under $1/hour, much lower than minimum wage of $5.15/hour for the U.S."

"There is also the continued existence of price controls and supply guarantees left over from the former Soviet style command economy"

I'm not an economist nor do i make any claim to be, but i have seen many main stream news stories on China manipulating its currency. Maybe slave labour is maybe one step too far I think in-humane wages would be a little more accurate.

Sure, China is changing. Instead of being a weak communist state its becoming a powerful communist state, and that scares me.

TW is still part of China for Chinese, so it is Chinese business to unite. It is not up the US to determine who is or isn't the family. I hope they unite on a common ground without bloodshed and without having someone meddling and cloak-and-dagger in their backs.

Oh please, The Taiwanese people have tasted freedom and are not going to give it up peacefully. Don't tell me China is going to let Taiwan re-unite and have its own elections. The only way i ever see Taiwan re-uniting peacefully is a Hong Kong 50 year type deal.

Last time i checked the United States protected free and democratic societys. Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait, and all of Europe just to name a few. Theres no reason to belive that the United States should not protect Taiwan.

Re: Hmmm

Boobies said:
Choco, don't tell me that the US and its citizens never wanted to and threatened to fight China, please look at 2002. You want examples? Rabs' past posts on China issues would be a good examples on such mentalities.

I didn't say jack about the US's rhetoric towards the Taiwan issue. I was pointing out that China is being hypocritical, it threatens one day, and denounces occusations that they're a threat the next. The US isn't the only one talking smack with regards to Taiwan, China isn't a saint here.

This thing is about a lot more than race and culture, it's also about allies and governments.

Of course, I want it to end peacefully too...

This is what I think. I understand that the US wants to spread the ideas of freedom, but it needs to be careful when it is trying to interfere in other countries affairs. The US had no part in the chinese-taiwan conflict before and it should not have a part in it now.

Back