Was China considered powerful in the Qing Dynasty? - Page 2

--

September 22nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Near Xi'an, where else??
http://www.crystalinks.com/pyramidchina.html

I look forward to it being excavated someday. We know so little about it.
September 28th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
Where is the largest pyramid in the world? Egypt? Central America? Nope, its in China.
I didn't know that either, where in China?
Not surprising, it was not discovered until the 1930's by a british aerial recon flight, the thing is massive, it was always thought to be a large hill. And the government is quite frankly scared to excavate it, apparently it is the burial tomb of an ancient chinese ruler, it is cursed or something, the terra corra army that is so famous would be dwarfed by the one that is supposedly buried under this pyramid, it has a lake of Mercury meant to represent the East China Sea, a huge, 3-D map, it is incredible, I was amazed when reading about it, to bad their have been no major attempts to excavate it.

I believe their is a comparable pyramid near St. Louis, both are earthen Pyramids, but the St. Louis pyramid is smaller, I do not know how much smaller though.

We are actually learning about China in my World History class, quite interesting, I am a history nut though, someone could hint at something from history and I would make a nice post about it (like this :P). And then of course one of my teachers from Sophomore year, who is not a legal resident of earth and crash landed at Roswell in 1947, believes that the Pyramids of Mesoamerica and the Ziggaruts of Mesopotamia were left by aliens, what a nut.
September 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Many people ask the question "How could ancient people have built (Pyramids, Stone-Henge, whatever else). The answer never has been "space aliens". What you notice about these gigantic structures is that the area has a very long history of building the things. Given 1000 years and poor technology, people find lots of tricks to make the same type of structure bigger and better. "How they did it" may not be easy to figure out, but if we had 1000 years to work with, we could do the same things with the same level of technology if we felt it was important.

I cannot fathom why China would be afraid to excavate the Great White Pyramid. Worst case scenario is having more info on something else that they can brag about.
--
September 28th, 2004  
Damien435

Egyptain, Mesoamerican, and Mesopatamian Pyramids are the only real advanced ones, the rest are just building a earthen platform on top of earthen platform, each one getting smaller as they rise up.

China has always been quite powerful, deny it all you want it is true, but they were really only invaded twice in their history, once by the Mongolians and once by the Japanese, the Mongolians were swallowed up by the Chinese culture and the Japanese could not hope to defeat China, China had almost 600 Million people at the time! (Is that right, I am gonna let FF make the final decision on that one, he should be able to better judge their population during WWII than me.)
September 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Actually, they were invaded lots of times that you didn't mention. The Manchus were invaders remember. Numerous cases of catastrophic conquest from the Siberian/Mongolia steppes, but the Mongols are better known and arguably more successful than any other invader other than the Manchus.
October 4th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Before I get in to the topic. Let's discuss the defination of Chinese.

Defination of Chinese is more clear in the mandarin. English is more confusing. If u use "Chinese" in mandarin language. That are 2 diferent words and different definations :

1) The Zhong Hua Race or so called Han-Chinese in the westerners view -- Common language is mandarin. Historically leaving in the China mainland and the main activities r agriculture. The western imperialism's strike in 19th-century helps great deal of the Zhong Hua race-people(South China) immigrant to overseas. Commonly those Zhong Hua race-people r as well called Chinese. but in Mandarin, we said "Hua Ren" -- Zhong Hua race-people.

2) The China-man or the citizen of China -- Included Manchurian, Internal Mongolians, Tribes of the Xing Jiang province, and so on. In mandarin, we called Chinese (in China-man defination) as Zhong Guo-ren, as "Zhong Guo" refers to China and "ren" refers to man.

Okay,so the defination of Chinese is clear now.
October 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Sometimes, China tries to lay claim to things that are easily disputable. Take Tibet for example. The Qing controlled that area, but Tibet remained extremely distinct culturally and the Manchu occupation was relatively benign. Tibet's culture was barely touched. Yet because the Qing occupied a thing, to modern China that is like a dog pissing on something to mark its territory. We end up with China stating their claim is irrefutable (contrary to reason). Then China invades and does its very best to wipe Tibetan culture off the face of the earth in the name of Communism and China. So some claims, IMHO, are not as valid.
October 4th, 2004  
Damien435

Egypt and China are what I like to call "Super Cultures." Look what has happened to almost every group of people that invaded those two civilizations, they won the military battle but in the end they were overwhelmed by the cultures of those two civilizations that they eventually just became part of the Egyptian or Chinese culture themselves.
October 9th, 2004  
Airborne

You know, I think your right... all those Brits doing the "Walk like an Egyptian" dance back in the 80's clearly showed Egypt's cultural triump over the English speaking world!

As to China... the same as with Rome. It conquered people and claimed territory it had no right to by both it's own laws and philosophies of the day as well as those of the conquered, but over time the people called themselves Roman... or in a few cases, told the Roman's to go F themselves and threw them out. Same appears to be the case with modern day China. Will it hold onto Tibet and it's western territories? The tibet situtation looks doubtful, once the Dali Lama dies, the PRC wins, cause they'll handpick his successor... at best, India might get the upperhand in the next Indo-Sino war and give it political and religious autonomy. As too the western territories, it all depends on which route India takes in it's offense....no, no just joking.

The Independance of it's western territories depends more on the possible economic revival of central asia, which I have a gut feeling will start kicking in about 30 years or so. THey have the geographical remoteness and the cultural and ethnic diversity to do it, as well as the religious motivation in ome parts.