Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 9

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

December 2nd, 2004  
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Hey, its not me that's making the statement that nuking Taiwan into oblivion is a great solution to the problem. That's the Chinese military leaders. What would you compare it to? The results and intents are the same -- everybody currently living on that island dies. Sorry if my analogy seems too extreme. Care to provide a better one?
Making comparisons to history is unpredictable.You need to remember that you live in the 21st Century and politics have become more complicated and sophisticated. As a matter of fact, the fourth Generation Chinese leadership are sane enough not to use nukes. They rather stage a conventional invasion rather than nuking the entire island without any consideration for innocent lives.

Quote:
Hey, its not me that's making the statement that nuking Taiwan into oblivion is a great solution to the problem. That's the Chinese military leaders.
That's not how military leaders do things in this century. They can mention about the usage of nuclear capability but knowing the consequences it will cause, they won't use it.

Anyway, remember General McArthur's suggestions to use nuclear weapons against N. Korean and Chinese Cities? heh, same thing pal. Just watch where your "comparisons" are going to.
December 2nd, 2004  
MadeInChina

china would never use nuke unless fired upon by, whats a few hundred casulties compared with te single use of nuke...

besides, we want the 2008 olympics to be opened and not to have any conflicts before that, and whateverthehell china wants to do with thaiwan im with it 100%
December 2nd, 2004  
Zyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
china would never use nuke unless fired upon by, whats a few hundred casulties compared with te single use of nuke...

besides, we want the 2008 olympics to be opened and not to have any conflicts before that, and whateverthehell china wants to do with thaiwan im with it 100%
I agree, I don't think China would fire nukes at Taiwan for any purpose. It would be pointless, nuking Taiwan renders the island useless and it will just make China look bad in the global community, and will probably hurt China's improving image. Even when military action is required to invade Taiwan, nuke would probably be out of the question.

Are you with China 100% if it says Taiwan can declare TI? I know it's highly unlikely, but what do the people really think?
--
Boots
December 2nd, 2004  
Ezechiel

It's a dumb decision to nuke. China have many good power missles to fire on taiwan without serious polution and effect like Nuke. Don't worry.
December 2nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

One amusing thing that I've heard repeated on this forum is the myth of the "safe nuke". One that would leave all factories, roads and cities standing. It does exist and its call a Neutron Bomb. The problem they've never solved is a severe Gamma Fallout post-detonation over a radius generally larger than would be affected by a "standard" nuclear warhead. Because of this flaw, if "safe nukes" were dropped, yes the buildings and factories would still be standing, but nobody would be able to approach them for many years at the peril of their own lives.

"Safe nukes" don't exist (yet).
December 2nd, 2004  
holderoftheblade

Topic: Taiwan is technically ours.

The kuomingtang nationalists killed many of the Chinese Communist Party. During WW2, the nationalists broke a ceasefire and attacked us when they were supposed to attack the Japanese.

After the war, they pursued the CCP again, if you recall the Long March. That was brutal. After the 100,000 that we started with, only a couple thousand were left.

In 1949, when the Communists formed the People's Republic, the kuomingtang nationalists fled to Taiwan, which was and still is our land. They took their wealth with them. This cheated China from the resources that were ours to begin with.

The UN recognizes that Taiwan is still part of China, but they continued to promote their independence, which was never valid. My people will not tolerate this. We want what is ours. We demand justice.
December 2nd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

In Novemble (last month), there appeard alot of article in PLA Daily Newspaper and other Chinese newspapers discussing the usage of Tactic Nukes in possible future wars. Chinese forums members were also asking does this mean PLA is seriously preparing the people's mind (telling them to get prepared in case nukes will be used).

A PLA general once told reporters last year:
PLA would prefer a taiwan where no grass can grow (meaning nuking) other than a independent taiwan.

We can rule nothing out, to be honest. That's why all people involved directly in this TI issue, gotta be serious for the possible consequences of mad actions of TI.

In Chinese forums, ppl tend to support "nuke" only the Southern part of Taiwan (Tainan), since most ppl there support TI, while majority of Northern Taiwan are opposed to TI.
December 2nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Anybody supporting the idea of nuking any portion of Taiwan, when it can VERY EASILY be subdued by the PRC's enormous army, has no consideration for human life or has talked themselves into thinking that TI supporters are inhuman and have no right to live. Casually saying, "Nuke that." or "Nuke this." is incredibly irresponsible and pretty evil considering its completely unnecessary.
December 2nd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Anybody supporting the idea of nuking any portion of Taiwan, when it can VERY EASILY be subdued by the PRC's enormous army, has no consideration for human life or has talked themselves into thinking that TI supporters are inhuman and have no right to live. Casually saying, "Nuke that." or "Nuke this." is incredibly irresponsible and pretty evil considering its completely unnecessary.
But dear godofthunder9010, just consider this:

In case TI is really declared, PLA is left without choice, but to crack it down.
Then should PLA send 1 million or 2 million PLA soldier to fight and die in a conventional war? Why should PLA sacrifice its dear soldiers's live? Anyway being killed by a bullet or nuke is same, why not use the Simple & Easy way to achieve the same goal?

That was exactly what US Army did by dropping 2 nukes in japan, US troops didn't want to let millions of US young men die for the japanese (who was on the wrong side of human history). I believe majority of world ppl were happy to see that 2 nukes were dropped, and millions US soldiers lives were saved at that time of WW2.

Same applies to PLA's young men, this is what the Chinese forumers talking about: SAVE our own young men's lives, and talk no BS with TI'ers.
December 2nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
But dear godofthunder9010, just consider this:

In case TI is really declared, PLA is left without choice, but to crack it down.
Then should PLA send 1 million or 2 million PLA soldier to fight and die in a conventional war? Why should PLA sacrifice its dear soldiers's live? Anyway being killed by a bullet or nuke is same, why not use the Simple & Easy way to achieve the same goal?
Only so long as the following is true of what would happen for a Purely Conventional invasion: The moment the PRC takes control, they round up everybody in the South, lines them up and shoots them. Every nuke that is dropped, you would have to be willing to say, "Oh we were going to just round up those people and shoot them anyways, so no loss."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
That was exactly what US Army did by dropping 2 nukes in japan, US troops didn't want to let millions of US young men die for the japanese (who was on the wrong side of human history). I believe majority of world ppl were happy to see that 2 nukes were dropped, and millions US soldiers lives were saved at that time of WW2.

Same applies to PLA's young men, this is what the Chinese forumers talking about: SAVE our own young men's lives.
Well, we're actually talking about 2 very different things. The PLA is more than capable of taking complete controll in a matter of weeks (in a worst case scenario). The USA would have been at it for another year at least. Also, they didn't really fully comprehend what they had yet. Also, it was done like this: Drop a bomb (never on the biggest cities you will notice) and wait and see what Japan does. No surrender? Drop another and wait and see what they do. What I'm hearing from the PRC folks sounds like nuking the (at minimum) the entire South of Taiwan into nothingness. If I'm understanding wrong, please feel free to clairfy.