Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 6

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Yes, I understand your point.

But sometimes in life there is simply not too much choices more.

Once you have made a decision, then you cannot turn back and redo it again.

As for Taiwan, it has become a Live or Die situation, PRC has no more choice, it does not want another choice either.

Remember I said many times before? It is pity, but Bigger Fist decides. Sorry to say this again, but it is life.

I believe you may also know very well:
After KMT fled to Taiwan, they were always talking about RECONQUERE the lost Mainland, but later they realized their first is too small to do that, so the just gave up and NEVER talk about retake Mainland anymore
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
I believe you may also know very well:
After KMT fled to Taiwan, they were always talking about RECONQUERE the lost Mainland, but later they realized their first is too small to do that, so the just gave up and NEVER talk about retake Mainland anymore
Poor Chaing and his silly delusions. Reinvading and retaking mainland China was about as likely as Cuba successfully conquering the USA today -- not bloody likely. I think he must have believed that the people on the mainland would rise up in his favor or something like that.
November 30th, 2004  
MadeInChina

its funny how some of the simpliest military procedures were frogotten by Chiang
1) he airlifted his crack units to manchuria without first taking over northern china
2) his armies did not form fronts, so there were pockets of PLA and pockets of KMT
3) Chiang's armies are insufficient in morale and arent as mobile as the chinese feld troops.
4) The PLA hit and run tactic is has a rather low casultiy level in its strategy potential
5) and finally, the frickin KMT has no support in the countryside save the landlords
--
Boots
November 30th, 2004  
Dele

I think it probably would be a bit better if they were off as an independent nation because even if they merge again with China it will be a bitter relationship because of the communist now semi-communist government.

The United States would probably have good relations with Taiwan since they would be a democracy.
November 30th, 2004  
Young Winston

Probably. China should chill out more. Things will work out in a decade or two.
November 30th, 2004  
MadeInChina

ya, china is chilling out and taking its own anger and storing it: taiwan is allowed to export while china cant, this is pretty outragous in my mind, ince it is benefiting the taiwanese but not as much as china.

anyways, its chen shui bien's fault for urging independency, hes pouring oil on fire inthis situation, its not china's fault to threaten taiwan, because china wants to ballance the hostility in order not to have hostilities

i dont want taiwan invaded now as much as the next guy, but when its time to do envasive action, then ppl have to accept the fact that china cannot allow another seperate province under the name china.. its insulting
November 30th, 2004  
Zyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC88mm
ya, china is chilling out and taking its own anger and storing it: taiwan is allowed to export while china cant, this is pretty outragous in my mind, ince it is benefiting the taiwanese but not as much as china.

anyways, its chen shui bien's fault for urging independency, hes pouring oil on fire inthis situation, its not china's fault to threaten taiwan, because china wants to ballance the hostility in order not to have hostilities

i dont want taiwan invaded now as much as the next guy, but when its time to do envasive action, then ppl have to accept the fact that china cannot allow another seperate province under the name china.. its insulting
I think this is just a vicious cycle. The Chinese view towards Taiwan is that Taiwan is legitimately theirs, while the Taiwanese have other ideas. China will not act friendly towards Taiwan unless ah-bian first declares that Taiwan is part of China, but ah-bian cannot, will not, and I hope not, betray the people who gave him the votes to speak on their behalf. All we need to do is this: agree that unification is a possibility, but it shouldn't be a prerequisite before the relationship moves forward between China and Taiwan. First let the people see what Taiwan and China are like, then let the people figure out what should happen, not the government. See it with your own eyes, don't trust the policies and books and newspapers. Media is nothing but a tool.

I think the Taiwanese actually brought a lot of businesses to the mainland. The companies and factories opened in China by the Taiwanese brought the locals jobs and money, this is mutually beneficial in my opinion. The Taiwanese government in fact is worried that more and more Taiwanese companies are moving to China and the assets will all be leaving Taiwan. I don't see how Chinese can complain that Taiwanese are getting the better end of the deal? (My dad actually went to Guangzhou and opened a small home appliances factory)

The legitimacy to PRC's "Taiwan is part of us" is very questionable. After all, PRC never had control over Taiwan. IMHO not even KMT can claim that Taiwan is legitimately theirs. When Japan surrendered Taiwan to the KMT, it's just like when Taiwan was passed from Dutch to Ming, from Ming to Manchu, from Manchu to Japan. All the same, you never heard what the Taiwanese wanted and honestly, no one ever cared. You are taught to believe that Taiwan is part of China, this is but a simple form of "paper invasion". Educate your people that Taiwan is yours, and after a while the meme sets in and everyone believes that Taiwan is part of China. I was taught to believe that China belonged to us, not PRC, and people there used to eat tree roots and cook leather belts for food. I was taught to reconquer the motherland and liberate our beloved brothers and sisters from the evil PRC. I was taught every railroad stations in every province, every produce in every area, so when I join the army to take back China, I'll know exactly where to go and what to look for. You'll find it amazing how much the government can do to make anything sound legitimate.
November 30th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, there's no question that Taiwan is better off without China right at the moment. How many times have people said something like, "I wish I could bash [insert name of a Taiwanese leader here]'s brains in!!" Its pure nonsense to say that the PLA would play fair or nice in any invasion scenario. It'd be a lot like Tibet though -- the Chinese media would wipe out all trace of any parts they didn't like. In all reality, you have enough propaganda-fed rage in mainland China to turn Taiwan into a giant-sized concentration camp and systematically exterminate the PRC's "brothers and sisters" in Taiwan for their "treachery". The people of China would see it as deserved punishment. I very much doubt it goes that far, but there is plenty of rage in the minds and hearts of the Chinese on the mainland. You can expect some very bad things to happen in the case of an invasion.

But my whole point was that, perhaps China is better off letting Taiwan go and do whatever they choose to. It would probably take a long time to undo the propagandist conditioning that has been done so far, but its an interesting idea.
December 1st, 2004  
MadeInChina

there brings me the issue of old nationlistic vetereans and their offsprings*( sry, i was studing bio)

Many people in taiwan wanted to unite with china, its true but is overshadowed by the mass of young taiwanese who wanted independence and have it their own way... say 49% wanted independence and 51% wanted independence, then it is really unfair to those who wanted to reunite. My point is not everybody in taiwan wated to seperate and that democratic votes arent as fair as it seem
December 1st, 2004  
EuroSpike

Why is Taiwan so important to you? Where do you need it? We got our own "Taiwan" on Baltic sea, Ahvenanmaa (or Åland in swedish), an autonomical island between Finland and Sweden. They got their own flag, own currency, own culture, own economy, own goverment etc. If Ahvenanmaa would like to declare independent, i wouldn't care less. It is not a matter of somekind of nationalism or pride or something. They got their freedom to choose and decide themselves. It's called democracy. 8)