Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 5

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 27th, 2004  
Big_Z

That post makes no sense to me.
November 27th, 2004  
MadeInChina

really?

it means that ive wasted my efforts telling you all about the changing china and that it is not as underestimated as you allthink, but apparently u ignored it
November 27th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC88mm
we dont??? cmon, all that ctrl+c and ctrl+v doesnt even make a point???
Well, I'll hazard a guess that you mean stuff that has been copied from websites and pasted into posts on the Forum ... but that 100% a guess.

Quote:
i see u havent read some of the stuff in the forum very deeply
No obvious sense there.

BigZ is correct, that post didn't make any obvious sense.
--
Boots
November 27th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I'm sure they'd never listen to me if I tried. After all, I'm "just a stupid Westerner with no concept of anything about China or the Orient". Its fun saying that, its like having a liscence to be a moron.
Please don't think in that way. I know u westerners have ur own idea about the same things. So since that we have differences in this. We discuss. We never trying show any disrespect to u.

Anyway, let's talk about this. Recently I have been acknowledged by an article, which talked about "92 Agreement" signed between Taiwan and China officially, under the negotiation of USA in 1992 (Ofcoz it's 1992 hahaha). So the main contain of this agreement is remain "1 China policy", try all the effort to United Taiwan and China back peacefully. Also under this agreement the Taiwan and China both sides pick out members to negotiate in order to make a Reunion. So if today Taiwan wanted to Independence, it means that they against this agreement which they had signed it 12 years ago.

Secondly, in the Taiwan constitution, it's all about China. In theb constitution of Taiwan (Republic of China). For many times they said about the remaining China policy and try every effort to get a reunion. Cheng Shui Bien stood and promise that he would obey everything in the constitution when he was on the presidental ceremony. Many of his act had against what he promised. So, what should we say about this? Is Taiwan lawful to be an independent country?

Even if u say constitution can be change, but u shall never deny "92 agreement" this stubborn prove.
November 27th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Dunno if Taiwan is smart seeing China rising so rapidly.

The Rising Threat from China: Seeing is Believing
William R. Hawkins

http://www.americaneconomicalert.org...p?Prod_ID=1208
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The right or wrong of Taiwan's Independence Movement is one of those very difficult to determine -- there have been many cases where a land was even more strongly tied to a motherland, but broke off anyway. The concepts that go into defining what is or isn't an independent nation ... well, lets just say that if their was ever a rulebook on the issue, the World hasn't paid too much attention to it. History provides an endless list of contradictions and confusion about national independence.

I can say that Taiwan would be unwise to declare independence under current circumstances. I'm fully aware that the ROC is all about all of China BTW. Didn't know about the treaty you mentioned Ezechiel. Its interesting information and I probably should have known about it.

But all of that is not what I was talking about in this thread. What I was thinking of was this: Would handing over the decision of indepence to Taiwan 100% to Taiwan gain China more than it loses them. Seriously, how much of a contribution can Taiwan make to China? (I'm asking partly because I don't know the answer in great depth and partly because I don't see how Taiwan is worthwhile with all the controversy surrounding it.) As a calculated ploy to drastically alter China's current image, I think it's at least an extremely interesting move. IMHO, if I'm looking at everything from the PRC's point of view ... well things a just way too predictable. They need to offer up a few surprises, especially ANYTHING to make them look more like the nice guys in the neighborhood.
November 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

godofthunder9010:

We got a PROBLEM here:
Mainland wants unification; Taiwan wants seperation.

What to do?

Make Taiwan happy while make Mainland unhappy?

Give me a solution if you have one
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
godofthunder9010:

We got a PROBLEM here:
Mainland wants unification; Taiwan wants seperation.

What to do?

Make Taiwan happy while make Mainland unhappy?

Give me a solution if you have one
I follow you. Actually, Taiwan is divided 50/50 on the issue. Frankly, I think that proponents of reunification in Taiwan have a much stronger case if the PRC backs off with the threat of invasion and all that business.

The problem is, the PRC has thrown a lot of effort into its media firmly convincing its people that Taiwan has absolutely no right whatsoever to determine its own destiny. Right or wrong, there would have to be a significant shift in the PRC's media on the matter. Its unfortunate because Taiwan has been made out to be one helluva lot more important than it actually is.
November 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
The problem is, the PRC has thrown a lot of effort into its media firmly convincing its people that Taiwan has absolutely no right whatsoever to determine its own destiny.
So you mean PRC should tell her people that Taiwan does have right to decide their future including going independence?

I bet then Chinese people will start to throw down that PRC government
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Hey, the PRC has dug their own grave for that scenario. They've elected to employ their media in such a way as to make flexibility with regard to Taiwan impossible.

Remember back to my post that started the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I don't know if they CAN, but if they COULD and DID
The fact that they probably can't do it doesn't change the fact that it would be a very interesting move, does it?