Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 3

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
Oh, you mean People's Republic of China? Where do you need a place such Taiwan?
The issue is not that we NEED a place such as taiwan, the issue is that Taiwan IS ours. We don't control it now as we should, but we are going to control it as we should.
Why to keep an useless place that doesn't want to be yours? If you really don't need Taiwan anywhere, just let them go and do what they want to. That is called as western democracy and freedom. If the state is really people's state, then people should have been able to decide what to do.
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
If the state is really people's state, then people should have been able to decide what to do.
Exactly, I bet your government also admit Taiwan is part of China.
So, let's do:
Ask ALL Chinese people to vote, both from Mainland China and Taiwan, to vote to decide if Taiwan should get their wish.

Well, all those independence wannables may leave Taiwan, just leave the PLACE Taiwan to ALL Chinese. You cannot take away a piece of Land which belong to ALL Chinese people. It is in fact very simple logic.
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Quote:
If the state is really people's state, then people should have been able to decide what to do.
Exactly, I bet your government also admit Taiwan is part of China.
So, let's do:
Ask ALL Chinese people to vote, both from Mainland China and Taiwan, to vote to decide if Taiwan should get their wish.

Well, all those independence wannables may leave Taiwan, just leave the PLACE Taiwan to ALL Chinese. You cannot take away a piece of Land which belong to ALL Chinese people. It is in fact very simple logic.
Yes, Taiwan officially belongs to China but IMO if there lives only Taiwanese people, why don't let them vote and decide where to belong? It is not taken from chinese in mainland. How many chinese have even visited Taiwan?
--
Boots
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Think about this:
A bunch of tourists move into a hotel, lived there a couple of weeks, then declares Independence
November 24th, 2004  
Marksman

Quote:
A bunch of tourists move into a hotel, lived there a couple of weeks, then declares Independence
totally true,i support u FF totally
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Think about this:
A bunch of tourists move into a hotel, lived there a couple of weeks, then declares Independence :D
That sound quite dickeless. I don't know how old project is Taiwan's independece or see difference between chinese and taiwanese. Actually i don't know anything about Taiwan. Just heard from news.
November 24th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
godofthunder9010, in fact, China got many more Friends in the neighourhood than some 20 or 30 years ago.

And I am pretty sure when China got stronger, PRC will get even more Friends.

PRC is stepping into good direction, no matter what other "Western" countries "think" about the "China Threat". Even EU is starting to build better relationship with PRC.
I definitely agree that China is improving its position. They've come a long ways. Invading Taiwan ... say tomorrow would ruin a LOT of the progress. Sure you have a very hawkish populace that adores the mantra, "Let's invade Taiwan", but its not really in China's best interests.

What I'm suggesting is that rather than continuing to use them as a lightning rod for PRC public rage -- why not use them to drastically change the dynamics of China's foreign relations? Truth be told, China comes out looking better that way and they would accomplish (diplomatically) what would otherwise take many many years.
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Thank you for your honestness.

Never mind.

It is like this:
When 2 guys are fighting, policeman comes in. The policeman should not immediately start to blame the Bigger guy beating the Little guy. Sometimes it is the little guy who is very nasty.

godofthunder9010:
Maybe you should try to persuade Taiwanese to go direction unification, not the other way around. Just ask them not to be too selfish and shortsighted.
November 25th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I'm sure they'd never listen to me if I tried. After all, I'm "just a stupid Westerner with no concept of anything about China or the Orient". Its fun saying that, its like having a liscence to be a moron.

I think that most everyone is watching and seeing what happens with Hong Kong to decide what to think about Taiwan. By the way, I seldom ever hear any news ... what's new with Hong Kong?
November 25th, 2004  
MadeInChina

alirte then, think with ur american nationlism, uncle sam and all yo southern pride... replace us with china, and u'll know how i think