Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 24th, 2004  
It's all a game

Hehe, Taiwan is just too important for China, or should I say, for the Chinese government, to lose.

1. It is of extreme stragetic importance, which is why neither the US or Japan (especially Japan) would want it to revert back to China's control. It would be militarily, and therefore politically and economically suicide for China to volunteer it off to US and Japan. From what the US did in Iraq and many other places, we learned that image is not important, interest is. ...that is, is your are powerful enough.

2. It would be suicidal for a Chinese government to let Taiwan go, as the people would not allow it to happen.

Now, if we assume that the Chinese "communist" government is indeed an evil government and that the West is indeed performing God's work on earth, then we'd have to agree that China should simply quit all its struggle and be a good boy and let the US and its allies change China in the Godly ways.

For the sake of that possibility, I say, let the NWO begin by disolving all current governments. National interest? Territorial disputes? Borders? Different religions? Different gods? Forget it all! We are all earthlings, aren't we? We all will die sooner or later and can't take any of these things with us to the other world, can we? We all will be and must have been people of other races and nationalities in our many lives on earth and on other planets, right? Why the struggle throughout history? Let's all quit, surrender, obey...

But then an inner voice will be heard: "What's the fun of being human without all the misery and stupidity? I would have stayed in heaven had I wanted just that eternal kind of boring tranquility and transparency of all there is up there! It is all a game we had chosen to play, stupid! So stop whining and keep playing..." Hehe...
November 24th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Taiwan's stategic importance ... well if your intention is to invade the Phillipines, I guess you're right. Otherwise its not terribly useful. It puts Chinese forces no closer to anything else than they already are right now. It does add slightly to industry and population that China honestly doesn't need. China stands more to gain in industry and technology by continuing its trade relations with the rest of the world.

In its quest to replace the USA as the most powerful and influential nation on earth -- China is going to have to play the game more diplomatically. I wouldn't call the Chinese Government evil -- just stupid. They thunder around Southeast Asia, making sure everyone is 100% sure that they are a threat and ensuring that nobody can sit back and relax, much less trust them. Sun Tzu is probably turning in his grave -- they're making an endless list of mistakes no matter what their intentions truly are. That said, China's government is much better now that it was under Mao.

I fail to see how China loses more than it gains by telling Taiwan that they can decide the matter themselves. China is in danger of changing its image from likely aggressor, to noble and benevolent. Noble and benevolent image would probably lead to stronger economic and even military links to other nations in Southeast Asia. Even if China gains nothing substantial in those categories, it would be the first unexpected thing they've done since Korea, only this time it makes them look really good.

Consider the impact on Taiwan itself. It may very well lead them to more strongly favor reunification. The greatest tool seperatists have is mistrust of the PRC, so what happens when that tool is taken away?
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

godofthunder9010, in fact, China got many more Friends in the neighourhood than some 20 or 30 years ago.

And I am pretty sure when China got stronger, PRC will get even more Friends.

PRC is stepping into good direction, no matter what other "Western" countries "think" about the "China Threat". Even EU is starting to build better relationship with PRC.
--
Boots
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Topic: Re: Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatev

Let Taiwan do what they want to.
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
If so, how about let PRC do what they want to.
November 24th, 2004  
Marksman

Quote:
China got many more Friends in the neighourhood than some 20 or 30 years ago
we'r ur friends...............well im not sure for the country but Trifunovic familly is Chinas friend thats for sure,bacouse my father was in china several times and made some life friends lasting there,and i live 50 m from chinese ambassy(1999)
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
If so, how about let PRC do what they want to.
What is this PRC?
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Thanks mate. Pity PRC is not yet that strong now. And I think Serbia's good future is with EU, you will be in EU too soon, but I do believe PRC and Serbia will stay as friends.
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Thanks mate. Pity PRC is not yet that strong now. And I think Serbia's good future is with EU, you will be in EU too soon, but I do believe PRC and Serbia will stay as friends.
Oh, you mean People's Republic of China? Where do you need a place such Taiwan?

It may take a while before Serbia can be accepted to EU.
November 24th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Oh, you mean People's Republic of China? Where do you need a place such Taiwan?
The issue is not that we NEED a place such as taiwan, the issue is that Taiwan IS ours. We don't control it now as we should, but we are going to control it as we should.