Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 15

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

*sigh*
I guess we'll have to ask the Taiwanese after the PLA invades them and forces them to submit to PRC rulership and no chance of deciding for themselves how free they feel at that point. I think I'm stating the obvious here. How free would you feel??
December 8th, 2004  
jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
*sigh*
I guess we'll have to ask the Taiwanese after the PLA invades them and forces them to submit to PRC rulership and no chance of deciding for themselves how free they feel at that point. I think I'm stating the obvious here. How free would you feel??
China doesn't like US ,it has a large population,and at least 50% people are not well educated.So i think don't give their rights to vote is right.
I believe several years later,we chinese could gain our human rights.So does Taiwanese.
My English is poor, any chinese could help me?^^
December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I can see your point, but bear in mind that Taiwan is already very educated and they already have those rights. Being taken over by the PRC would erase many of the rights that they currently have ... and as stated, right or wrong, their freedom to decide their own destiny will be stripped from them.

It all comes back to the same question. Can the PRC claim that Taiwan and its people would be better off under their rulership? How will the lives of individual people in Taiwan benefit?

BTW, your English is absolutely fine, so don't worry so much.
--
Boots
December 8th, 2004  
Big_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz
Quote:
*sigh*
China doesn't like US ,it has a large population,and at least 50% people are not well educated.So i think don't give their rights to vote is right.
I believe several years later,we chinese could gain our human rights.So does Taiwanese.
Got a source for that? Last time I checked Asian people were flooding the US for our colleges.
December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

He means that China is not an educated country, he's not talking about the USA ... I think.
December 8th, 2004  
Kane

Quote:
Got a source for that? Last time I checked Asian people were flooding the US for our colleges.
You might have know that the Standards to get into certain colleges in China is much much higher than US. So in this case, it's much easier to get into college in American than in China.

Quote:
I can see your point, but bear in mind that Taiwan is already very educated and they already have those rights. Being taken over by the PRC would erase many of the rights that they currently have ... and as stated, right or wrong, their freedom to decide their own destiny will be stripped from them.

It all comes back to the same question. Can the PRC claim that Taiwan and its people would be better off under their rulership? How will the lives of individual people in Taiwan benefit?

The same rhetoric about the almighty "Democracy" and their preservation of their so-called "destiny". This shows lack of knowledge about the China's Current political system, laws and Beijing's ability to handle the situation in areas that have already been Democratized.

Another thing, don't you realize that the definition of "Democracy" is very different between the east and the west?
December 8th, 2004  
ironface

yeah, there are even millions of people dont know how to write
and how to read,can they decide who to vote with a "right "sense?
In US voting,I think what interest the people most is, will the tax
increase?will there will be lots of job opportunity?will educational
funding increace?

and CHina is a big country ,stability is the most important now
if we keep on voting our chinese BUSH or KOLR, rather than
on focus on economy, how can we develop?

first,we have to develop economy.I hate politics, politics
is something like toy for rich man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz
Quote:
*sigh*
December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The general idea of Representative Democracy remains the same regardless: The people choose their leaders by popular majority. Anything less isn't Democracy.

Why does everyone avoid this question:
Quote:
December 8th, 2004  
ironface

Yeah,the democracy is quite different for east and west.
Maybe it is due to long years of Feudality in china,most
people have formed in the mind the thought that there need
some kind of "king".When more and more young men get
to the western style education just as you, the young men realize
that there should be change.

The culture make every thing..And fists teach everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Quote:
You might have know that the Standards to get into certain colleges in China is much much higher than US. So in this case, it's much easier to get into college in American than in China.

Quote:

The same rhetoric about the almighty "Democracy" and their preservation of their so-called "destiny". This shows lack of knowledge about the China's Current political system, laws and Beijing's ability to handle the situation in areas that have already been Democratized.

Another thing, don't you realize that the definition o
f "Democracy" is very different between the east and the west?
December 8th, 2004  
ironface

Killing,that is the only method to put down the rebellion.
every government do that when confront with rebellion.

Just as the US do ,in Iraq

Quote:
Truly was a lose/lose situation. The question is, how will China react if they are confronted with another situation similar to Tianamen Square in Taiwan after taking over? Your dealing with a people that is accustomed to more freedom than China currently has to offer, so you can expect them to be quite unhappy with Chinese control. Also, there's is that very large chunk of Taiwan that wants TI. They aren't going to stop wishing for it just because the PLA is occupying the island. On top of all that, the individual standard of living for Taiwanese is very very unlikely to improve with the PLA occupying. So a person living if a person from Taiwan isn't any better off, and is less free that he/she was, they're not going to be happy.

So how does China react when it happens? If it turns out anything like Tianamen Square, the Taiwan is better off just being left to itself and China is better off without them. ** I've yet to hear a scenario that doesn't involve the mass slaughter of Taiwanese. **