Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever?? - Page 12

View Poll Results :Would China be better off if Taiwan were a recognized Independent Country??
Yes, Absolutely! 9 33.33%
Maybe they would... 5 18.52%
No, Definitely Not! 12 44.44%
Other (please explain) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

December 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Chinese Oil Reserve is about 15 billion tons. While at this moment PRC consumes about 0.3 billion tons oil annually.
My internal calculator tells me that's 50 years worth, but consumption tends to go up so it would be less than 50 years.

China is a LOT like the USA. Potentially very self-sufficient. Not like the USA in the fact that the USA has mulitple items that it has more of than anyone else: Food Production and Coal if anybody was curious. Well, they do have the most people, but I'm talking in Natural Resources.
December 4th, 2004  
MadeInChina

actually a war aginist china from the eu and amiericans actualy would boost chinese ecnomy a bit: who cares about ownership one ce the countries decleares war on u. anyways, the government can basically take the factories and manfacturing and any other western-owend physical strucatures in china and sell them to domiastic copanies, making alot of money and boosting self-relliance.

for those who think otherwise, china can survive well and it is self-sufficient in producing food

also, many think that china is just a factory with cheap labor producing products for the world, actually more than 50%, i should say 60%, is traded domastically since the need of 14 billion people and the rising of the rich people gave way to a huge market-orianted economy.,..

investments from foreign countries, those who wage war aginsit china, woujld los their industrial base and their money..

so what if its illegal, taking private entrprices and givin gout its goodies, when a ban is happening, the countries agreeing with the ban will pay

anyways, russia is also a very big trade country, its needs are huge and china seems to be supplying most of the luxry items and fried noodles
December 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Russians are not much richer than Chinese, so exporting products to them is less appealing than the USA and Europe -- whose citizens have a lot more extra money to spend on stuff they may or may not need. Russia is a lousy replacement as primary trade partner, and China and Russia are already involved in trading anyways. The point is that China loses some very profitable markets if a trade embargo happens.

What you are describing about seizing factories and facilities that were built by foreign companies -- its called Nationalizing -- is something that happens all the time. It tends to discourage future foreign based development because nobody likes to bring their toys over when they know their toys are going to get stolen followed by, "Get off my property!"
--
Boots
December 6th, 2004  
MadeInChina

meh, even if the economy collaspes, which is not likely, the hciense will survive another world war..... just like russia
December 6th, 2004  
Zyca

I think the most important question here is, what is China going to be like without the war against Taiwan? Is it better than China winning the war against Taiwan?

Two issues here: proven success and potential collapse.

China is on its way to quickly becoming the most powerful nation, along with probably only the US. Economy is improving tremendously and the image has recovered greatly from the 64 Incident. Olympics 2008 will be held in Beijing and more people internationally are going to see what China is like really soon. Without the war against Taiwan, China is still solidly on its way up. This is proven success, give China time and peace, China will no doubt become powerful enough to threaten the US, as a nation.

However, if China decides to enjoy its success and focus less on the TI issue, and TI somehow does take place--I can foresee that HK, Tibet, maybe even more, would see Taiwan as a success story and will want to follow the step. China would soon be facing collapses from within, and this is the potential collapse. Therefore China is almost forced, not determined, to respond to TI with ALL means. I am sure the PRC government understands this.

Lots of Chinese here seem very happy and confident about the situation and the war, but IMHO China has been pushed to the edge of a cliff, that it is forced to do things reactively to Taiwan. It's like that Chinese phrase: I want to kill that rat there, but I am afraid of breaking the thing I'll be throwing at it with. TI here is the rat, and China's proven success is the thing you're throwing at it with. However without throwing it, you never know what the rat will do to you. Is what you have worth more than what you might lose?
December 6th, 2004  
Kane

Ok...to create a win-win situation for both countries, unification is perhaps the only option for peace. Instead CSB wants to prevent unification so therefore CSB is the one who is escalating the Taiwan Straight situation into a conflict. CSB must step down from office. Hands down.
December 6th, 2004  
Zyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Ok...to create a win-win situation for both countries, unification is perhaps the only option for peace. Instead CSB wants to prevent unification so therefore CSB is the one who is escalating the Taiwan Straight situation into a conflict. CSB must step down from office. Hands down.
CSB speaks for most of the Taiwanese when he says TI, the world just never heard this voice before. This is definitely not a win-win situation. It's not CSB's fault or the PRC's fault, it's really just that options are very limited in this situation.
December 6th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Did you read this week's news? CSB is planning to flee to Philipines when war breaks out? It is published in Taiwan newspapers. Sorry I don't have the Link here.
December 6th, 2004  
Zyca

Quote:
Did you read this week's news? CSB is planning to flee to Philipines when war breaks out? It is published in Taiwan newspapers. Sorry I don't have the Link here.
I read Taiwan newspapers daily but I must've missed it, it'll be cool if you could find the link. That'll definitely be an interesting read! I want to know if China will invade Philipines too because they have rights to where CSB hides!
December 6th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyca
Quote:
I read Taiwan newspapers daily but I must've missed it, it'll be cool if you could find the link. That'll definitely be an interesting read! I want to know if China will invade Philipines too because they have rights to where CSB hides!
Sorry I don't have the Link now. But about CSB's flee-route has been known for about half year now, all published by Taiwan newspaper then copied into Chinese forums. The way to flee is via a Sub.

Of course PRC will not deal with CSB in Philipines, PRC would like to see how funny it is that the President CSB fled to Phillipine for refugee.

The paper also said why not possible to flee by jet, since PLAF will chase him down, and Japan isn't ready to accept a loser like CSB.