Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFrog

JANE'S DEFENCE WEEKLY - NOVEMBER 17, 2004

-------------------------------------------------------------

China aids Iran's tactical missile programme
Robert Hewson Editor Jane's Air-Launched Weapons
Zuhai, China

China is producing several families of tactical guided missiles, primarily for the anti-ship role, that appear to have been designed and developed for a single export customer - Iran.

At the China Air Show 2004, in Zhuhai during late October and early November, the Hongdu Aviation Industry Group, exhibited three variants of two new missiles - the JJ/TL-6B, JJ/TL-10A and KJ/TL-10B.

These weapons are identical to Iranian missiles known as Nasr (TL-6) and Kosar (TL-10). Brochures produced by the Iran Aerospace Industries Organisation (IAIO) appear to carry photos of even the same models exhibited in China, labelled with Iranian programme names. It is now clear that two missile programmes revealed a few years ago by China National Aero Technology Import & Export Co (CATIC) - the FL-8 and FL-9 - were the TL-10 and TL-6, respectively, under yet another name.

A third weapon exhibited at Zhuhai and destined for Iran was a new variant of the China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (COSIC) C-701 anti-ship missile, the radar-guided C-701R. The C-701 has previously been presented by the IAIO in Iran, where it is claimed as a national programme

Of the newly unveiled missiles the smaller KJ/TL-10 series appears to have made the most progress. Development work began during the mid-1990s and Hongdu publicity material from Zhuhai shows a TL-10 being fired from an unidentified naval ship. A Hongdu spokesperson told JDW that deliveries of the TL-10A variant were already under way to a foreign customer. It was stressed that both the TL-6 and TL-10 programmes are for export and not for national use. The officials added that the radar-guided TL-10B and TL-6B missiles were still in development with perhaps another two years remaining until they were operational.

Conflicting accounts were given as to whether the missiles are, or will be, both air- and surface-launched. The Chinese abbreviation KJ indicates an air-to-ship missile (Kong Jian), while the JJ designator is for a surface-to-surface weapon (Jian Jian). The TL (Dragonfly) name identifies the missile family within Hongdu, a unit of China Aviation Industry Corporation II (AVIC II). JDW was told that the radar-guided TL-10B would be a helicopter-launched weapon, while an air-launched version of the TL-6 was also part of that missile's development plan. Helicopters were identified as the platform for an air-launched TL-6, but elsewhere at the show AVIC I displayed a model of the Shenyang F-8IIM carrying TL-6 missiles.

The latest C-701R missile from COSIC, the parent company of the better-known China Precision Machinery Import Export Co, CPMIEC, is fitted with a radar seeker (believed to be a millimetre wave radar) replacing the earlier electro-optical seeker of the C-701T. Effective range now stands at 25 km. The C-701R has been redesigned with a longer missile body and the deletion of the pop-out fin tips found on the C-701T.

The size, shape and general performance of the C-701 is very similar to that of the TL-10 series. Both weapons are clearly intended for Iran but it is not known why two apparently competing designs have evolved for the same customer. Iranian sources show that both the TL-10 and C-701 missiles are included within the national Kosar programme. Chinese industry representatives at Zhuhai declined to comment on links with Iran.

Related Article:
China, Iran share missile know how (JDW 4 December 2002)

SPECIFICATIONS
JJ/TL-6B radar-guided ship-to-ship missile
Length: 3.4-3.5 m
Diameter: 28 cm
Wingspan: 900 mm
Weight: 350-360 kg
Warhead: 30 kg semi-armour piercing
Propulsion: dual thrust, dual chamber solid rocket motor
Level flight speed: M0.8-0.9
Range: 4-35 km*

JJ/TL-10A TV-guided air-to-ship missile
Length: 2.5 m
Diameter: 18 cm
Wingspan: 568 mm
Weight:105 kg
Propulsion: twin thrust twin chamber solid rocket motor
Level flight speed: M0.85
Range: 4-18 km*

KJ/TL-10B radar-guided air-to-ship missile
Length: 2.5 m
Wingspan: 568 mm
Weight: 105 kg
Propulsion: twin-thrust twin chamber solid rocket motor
Level flight speed: M0.85
Range: 4-18 km*

*range values are revised from brochure figures, and stated by Hongdu

C-701R radar-guided anti-ship missile (revised specifications)
Length: 2.685 m
Wingspan: 586 mm
Weight: 117 kg

c701radar.jpg

C701D.JPG

C701A.JPG

Iran got those missiles for self protection against outside invaders. I don't think they should not have that ability.

Add another country to the Axis of Evil. lol.
Plus since France wants to sell weapons and tech to China, you can add them as well.

from Arabian's point of View, U.S is probably one of the Axis of evil

i think CHina's main purpose to support Iran is to try to secure some oil for China's booming and hungray ecnomy, (Since U.S already controled Saudi and other arabian oil nations)

also, china may want some cash, that is understandable,
(France sold weapons to Iraq too, dont blame China)

that is true man,

ppl in today's world tends to blame others while they are making the same mistake

just like U.S sexually abused Iraqs while they accuse CHInese for abusing prisoners
just like U.S invaded Iraq while they accuse Chinese for having the intention to "invade" (actually reunite) its own terrotory---Taiwan

Hey assKICKER, those last two things are CHEAP. There are already topics about those subjects. Stick to the topic at hand plz.

But of course China would sell those things to Iran, China does not care if US soldiers die, same with US selling stuff to Taiwan.

first, call me Asskicker, not ass

then, those things are not Cheap, i say it not because i think china is right to do that,
cuz i want to condemn both U.S and China for doing that

China gives Iran weapons not because we want to kil U.S soldiers, but we want to secure some oil for our ppl

U.S gives weapons to Taiwan because they dont want a united and strong China,,

who is the bad guy here

lol Asskicker,

U can press that "!" button to report "bad words" to Mods, they will take care of that for you :)

Chocobo, be prepared :twisted:

There, I made it right.

Anyways, yes those things are cheap, because they bash the US out of context. It's a cheap punch. Anyways....

the bad guy? Iran

cheap way?
ai ya..i bash U. S because my bashing makes sense

if it doesn't , u offer some reasons,

Iran is not the bad guy in many ppl's eyes (Arabians),
so dont generalize Iran,

U.S is an evil force in many ppl's eyes (i dont think it is )

It's cheap because it's not apart of the topic, people try to stick to the topic at hand and not divert away. If someone was to challenge those shots, it would change the topic, most people try not to do that. It would be like me randomly mentioning China executes 4,000 people a year. Nothing to do with topic, and changes the subject.

If you want to talk human rights, then go here:

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6252

If you want to talk Iraq war, search this forum, there are many topics...

Iran is persian I know.

Anyways about the real topic, I was wondering, does anyone know how useful this would be for Iran? How harmful to US navy would it be?

hope u can find more SOLID proves when u talk about China's human rights record,
and make ur own country's human rights record perfect

china has its own problem while U.S has too,
if u always critisize others while u make the same mistakes too, then it is the wrong attitude,

last post today,since i have to woohoo with my gf

i think china should have a deal with U.S
like CHina won't sell weapos to U.S' s enemy while U.S stops sell weapons to taiwan

that would be cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back