Children of Men

Duty Honor Country

The story line looked interesting. Humans had lost the ablility to reproduce for 18 years. Much of the world had plunged into chaos with Britain holding its own. A pregnant woman is found by a rebel group in Britain and all hell breaks loose.

What killed this movie for me was all the Bush Bashing. The movie showed that the war on terrror explanded to nuclear attacks. Of course, references to Bush and Iraq were present. Good old England had adopted homeland security which banned all immigration. One scene in the movie recreated scenes of Abu Grab. That is what really pissed me off. Of course the muslims fighting the government were the good guys.

Children of Men could have been much better if they had stopped portraying the ultra left ideology and made a movie. Yeah there will always be some political bias but this movie crossed the line. This is my theory on why the critics gave it good reviews.

There was similar undercurrents in "V for Vendetta" but easy enough to ignore. Its a current trend in the British movies I've screened lately, the idea of the world going to hell in a hand basket and its not because of Communism as it was when I was a kid but now its all President Bush's terror war or something akin to that but always blaming the US. Makes about as much sense as blaming the Jews for WWII.

well said BD. I got the same sense with "The Day After Tomorrow." I thought global climate change - which I believe is happening - was 9 parts nature taking its course as it has done over many ice-ages and tropical-ages and 1 part modern industrial pollution. But in fact that movie taught me that it's all caused by the real President of the USA the evil Mr Dick Cheney.

Last edited:
undercurrents are one thing, recreating the pictures of Abu Grab is another. I think if Children of Men had left that out, I would have made such a fuss. I really did not mind V since it wasn't too bad.

Just curious, have you gents seen Children of Men yet?

Pity.... The trailers looked promising.
It's hard to enjoy something that you know has a second meaning behind it. Especially, when it contradicts your political views.

Children of Men was a decent film and i liked the action scenes a fair bit. Michael Cain was good as was clive owen as always.

The Bush bashing was a bit over the top and the abu gharib parts were unnecessary. It felt that they were trying to ram this down your throat which is never a good thing but if you ignore this then its a bloody good film.

But why the hell didn't the soldiers in the big building scene take the baby and the woman away to the local R+D department instead of going back to blow the heck outa the building?

Back