S&W Model 642 .38 Special +P
Sig Sauer P229 9mm
Berreta 9000S 9mm
Berreta 84 Cheetah .380 Auto/9mm Kurtz
S&W Model 908 Pistol 9mm
S&W Model CS9 Pistol 9mm
S&W Model SW990L Pistol 9mm
Ruger KSP-321X
S&W J Frame Revolver .357 Magnum/.38 Special +P (To many to list)
Sig Sauer P232 .380 Auto/9mm Kurtz
Sig Sauer P239 9mm
Makarov 9X18mm Makarov
Walther PPK .32 Auto or .380 Auto
Walther PP .32 Auto or .380 Auto
Walther PPK/S .32 Auto or .380 Auto
Para-Ordnance Hawg 9 9mm
Taurus Firearms also makes a series of revolvers like the S&W J-Frame (To many to list)

Last edited:
moving0target said:
With almost perfect timing with the latest brouha involving the NRA daring to suggest that women arm themselves (and know how to shoot), a drugged out psychopath forced his way into my girlfriend's apartment. She had a friend over and they raised enough hell that several neighbors came over to help so she was unharmed. The crackhead managed to escape and was long gone when the cops arrived half a :cens: hour later.

That she is going to have a handgun in the apartment within easy reach is a foregone conclusion as is the conclusion that she will take a class on defending herself with said handgun. Unfortunately I ran up against a brick wall or two. For one, what sort of automatic do I give a 5'3" woman with small hands? For another, where do I find a decent course for her to take?

I could set her up with a nifty C&R piece, but I'd certainly rather her have something a bit more modern. I can't exactly hand her one of my .45's and expect decent results. She's fired them before and, best I could tell, the round went "somewhere down range." She knows all about gun safety from all the times she's gone to the range with me. Anyone have any advice...other than moving me in with her?

Mods: Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to post, but "hardware" seemed as good a place as any. Please move it as necessary...not that you need my permission. ;)
Perhaps a Fabrique Nationale Five seveN would suit said lady? Or what about a Walther P1 (modernized P38 )?

Last edited:

I would give her one of these.... She could wear it with a sling across her back or with a leg-brace tied to her thigh. She will have to be carefull not to get the hammer snagged behind the lace of her pyjama´s, but further then that... I see no troubles for her and six large problems for the intruder.

Last edited:
Size of course is going to be an issue, not because she is trying to conceal it, but because she is a 5'3" female.

All of the weapons I listed, and the recent list 5.56 should be an easier fit for her. Take the list to the gunshop and let her handle all of them to see which feels best.

Definitely take her to rent a few different models to put rounds through, holding it and firing it makes a huge difference. What felt good in the store may not feel so great on the range.

I would stick with 9mms and if possible, Glocks, they're very user friendly.

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything from H&K. I have never shot any of these expensive pistols, but the USP, USP Compact, and P200 should all work, and are all available in 9mm.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Perhaps a Fabrique Nationale Five seveN would suit said lady? Or what about a Walther P1 (modernized P38 )?

Damn do you know how much those 5.7's cost? Alot.

Actually I just looked and they can cost anywhere from $800-$1000

Last edited:
H&K doesn't make a small compact pistol. Their USP Compact is HUGE!!!!!

And 5.7X28mm Ammunition costs something like $40.00 for twenty rounds.

I'll stick with 9mm. No point in complicating matters. Incidentally, I already have an original P38. While fun, it wouldn't be my first choice for home protection.

Why not? They tend to be rather picky about the ammo you run through them. I've gotten decent performance out of some ammo, though by no means as reliable as I'd like. I've gotten other ammo that caused a stovepipe every other round. Without loading my own ammo, it wouldn't be reliable enough to trust with my life or that of a loved one.

I have also noticed a distinct difference in the weapons that I own, which are largely WWI through the Cold War, and modern weapons created for personal defense. The weapons of war are often made by the lowest bidder with the intent of creating a tool that works enough of the time that your guy can kill the other guy...most of the time. There are a few shining exceptions out there but they are outnumbered by weapons that rattle like an old Ford pickup, leak gas like sieves, have nasty trigger pulls, etc. Weapons created for the civilian market for personal defense have, in general, a higher level of quality control. Weapons for the civilian market aren't issued; they're sold. Customers have to be happy with the product so they'll come back to buy more.

Moving, I don't buy the lower quality because of the lowest bidder. The MILSPECS determine the quality of the item in question for the military. More often than not my experience has been that when a DoD piece of equipment whether it is an M-16 or a deuce and a half has a problem it is a matter of the soldier(s) not maintaining the item properly and not because it was poor workmanship or low standards.

bulldogg said:
Moving, I don't buy the lower quality because of the lowest bidder. The MILSPECS determine the quality of the item in question for the military. More often than not my experience has been that when a DoD piece of equipment whether it is an M-16 or a deuce and a half has a problem it is a matter of the soldier(s) not maintaining the item properly and not because it was poor workmanship or low standards.
Maybe the weapons moving0target was talking about were developed during wars, where armies didn't have time to invest in thorough inspection of each type of weapon.

"If we don't inspect the weapon properly and perfect it further, we'll lose this many more guys. If we do, we'll lose this much more money and that much more time."

You have to admit, bulldogg, (well, I guess you don't have to) that low cost and speed of production were often heavily weighted factors of weapons design and production during the specified period of time. That applies to everything from Liberty ships, to Sherman tanks, to Sten guns, to CZ-52's and beyond.

ghost457 said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned anything from H&K. I have never shot any of these expensive pistols, but the USP, USP Compact, and P200 should all work, and are all available in 9mm.

As 5.56 said, H&Ks just aren't that small, a lot of women have problems with them not fitting their hands/grip. It's also pretty expensive to buy on your first gun purchase.

Well, if you're set on a 9mm. Than GLOCK is the way to go. The GLOCK 26 is one small pistol.

You can also check out the KHAR series of pistols. I forgot to mention them. Kel-Tec also makes a good series of small 9mm pistols. Lastly, Springfield Armory and S&W also have some good small frame 9mm pistols.

moving0target said:
You have to admit, bulldogg, (well, I guess you don't have to) that low cost and speed of production were often heavily weighted factors of weapons design and production during the specified period of time. That applies to everything from Liberty ships, to Sherman tanks, to Sten guns, to CZ-52's and beyond.

Granted. I was actually thinking more in line with more modern procurement issues. My mistake.

Hmm.
I´m happy with a baseballbat in my closet, next to the fireextinguisher:)
I wouldn´t feel safe if my girlfriend had a gun in the house......:p

MaKa9 said:
Hmm.
I´m happy with a baseballbat in my closet, next to the fireextinguisher:)
I wouldn´t feel safe if my girlfriend had a gun in the house......:p

Bet you'd be home on time everytime if she had one, though. :mrgreen:

Back