Chesty Puller question.

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
Hello folks, I heard before that General Puller was a cousin of General Patton.
Anyone know if this is factual? If you say yes, if you can say how you know for sure that would be great. Even better if their is proof somewhere.

Last edited:
There is mention of Lewis Burwill Puller being a relative to George Smith Patton II in several family trees. I'll get back to you with a more definite answer shortly.

Thank you senojekips.

chesty.jpg

According to Lt. Col J. Hoffmans book Chesty and Burke Davis' book Marine. The two standard setters as far as Gen. Puller go. The Pattons and Pullers are related. The relation between Chesty and Blood and Guts seems to be as distant cousins according to Col. Hoffman.

Lewis Burwill Puller is George Smith Patton Jr's Eighth cousin once removed. Which means that they are only a little more closely related than you or I.

I'm just guessing here until I find proof one way or the other, but, I feel that at least G S Patton would have been aware of a relationship of some kind as the Patton family has been traced back to around the 12th Century and families that do that are usually very conscious of their heritage and it follows, their better known relations.

As an explanation of Canon Law Kinship (Blood Relationships), 8th Cousins once removed are the offspring of both the tenth and ninth generations of a common progenitor, meaning that there are 19 generations of difference between them, giving them a consanguinity degree of 2 -8 or 0.1953125% commonality.

Last edited:
The Pullers and Williams (Chestys mothers family) and Pattons were old Tide Water families so it's pretty certain they knew of each others exsistance at least..like Skip said .

Chesty did know of the Patton family connection to the Williams family as he was well aware of Col. Waller Tazewell Pattons service as a brigade commander in Picketts Division at Gettysburg.

Back