Chestrig+padded belt vs. PC

KV.

New restrictions in the Danish Army' dress regulations have prohibited the use of PC's so I am forced to change my kit (at the moment PC) with the S.I. Armour Carrier.

Now I am contemplating what to exhange my PC with, and I am looking for some thoughts other than my own on the subject.

I will be using the setup both in vehicles but also on dismounted patrols, hence my wish to keep it leightweight.

What I was thinking was something like a lightweight modular chestrig, as a primary base (mag pouches, grenade pouches, hydration carrier etc.). It should make it possible to drive and operate in near proximity to the vehicle.

The padded belt is meant as a supplement to use on dismounted patrols. I have been thinking about keeping the load on the belt to a minimum in order to use it without shoulder straps. (few extra mag pouches, utility pouch, Individual First Aid Kit)
Not chosing to use shoulder straps is for me to be in order to "drop" the belt when returning to the vehicle.

Anyone know if this is a durable option or anyone got any other ideas lets hear it - what chestrigs/belts do you use?

Regards
KV.

I'm current Law Enforcement in the USA and prior US Army. Yes, most of my Kit is USMC Brown. Hell of a lot better then that ACU ****. Thank God I got out when that was just being phased in.

Pics of your current kit?

Sounds stupid that they aren't letting use a plate carrier. But if you must.... I'd say build a War Belt and a good Molle Chest Rig.

gear021.jpg

Not my kit. Example Only

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/

They make good gear. I'm using a Two Piece MAV with their X Harness over my Interceptor Vest.

mav.jpg

There is my MAV. I've changed it a little since that picture was taken.

pic033110_2.jpg

Crappy pic of my kit with armor.

100_0809.jpg

Mini Chest Rig that I built to use when I'm in uniform patrol. It works in conjuction with my duty belt.

Thanks for the pictures 5.56 - good inspiration.

I don't have any pics of my current kit (being a PC setup makes it obsolete according to the new regulations) so what I have to do is build a completely new set of kit, for my upcoming deployment.

As described in my previous post, I am thinking a setuo consisting of a chestrig as the primary load carrying system, with the belt as secondary, for dismounted patrols.

Do you know if it is possible to use a modular hydration carrier on the 1-piece MAV with an X-Harness - it does not look like it will work on the 2-piece.

Thanks for the pictures 5.56 - good inspiration.

I don't have any pics of my current kit (being a PC setup makes it obsolete according to the new regulations) so what I have to do is build a completely new set of kit, for my upcoming deployment.

As described in my previous post, I am thinking a setuo consisting of a chestrig as the primary load carrying system, with the belt as secondary, for dismounted patrols.

Do you know if it is possible to use a modular hydration carrier on the 1-piece MAV with an X-Harness - it does not look like it will work on the 2-piece.

Give me some time and I'll take some detailed pics and get some pics of my friends' gear.

As for the MAV.... the one piece and two piece are different in that the front has the release buckles. The one piece MAV only has release buckles in the back while the 2 piece has them in the front also. Since my Interceptor Vest goes on like a jacket the two piece in the one I use.

You can use molly hydration carrier on both the 1 or 2 piece MAV with a X-Harness.

I have a couple of different set ups and my MAV just got redone again...... Yeah I'm constantly updating my gear.

Right now as a police officer I do it opposite of what you want. The majority of my gear is on my belt while the extra stuff is on my chest rig. But then again as a cop my primary weapon is now my sidearm and my backup is my rifle.

Also before I forget if you want some great info on gear..... AR15.com Tactical Gear Subforum. It has a photo thread..... You will see some mall ninjas post some stupid stuff. But on that area there is some good info from folks all over the USA and the world. Cops, Soldiers, Private Contractors, etc..... Also on the Industry Section you can ask some of the manufacturers questions.

I like the following companies for gear.

Tactical Tailor
Tactical Assault Gear
Maxpedition
Eagle Industries
Condor (Chinese Clone of Eagle Industry)

Like I said.... give me some time. I work a double tomorrow (September 5th) and I'll be off on the 6th, 7th, and 8th..... so I'll be able to really dig into the back of my mind.

Cheers mate - appreciate it !

If the 1-piece has the release buckles in the back, it probably doesn't work all that well with a hydration carrier - (I am using a 3 litre Camelbak bladder) I am thinking it would interfere with the release buckles.

Yeah - I know - also updating all the time, or I were, before I finally got my kit molded into the setup I wanted/liked. But now I just got to get back at it. S**T !

I have thought about keeping the new setup to a minimum, as in either only a chestrig, or only a war belt, but either option, seems, to me, to be very space restricted - when I am use to a plate carrier.

Thanks for the link - good pics for inspiration.

Yeah - pretty much agree with you on the gear companies, 'cept 5.11 - I bought some single M4 pouches, once which was either sewn wrong or had too short elastic straps. With the straps they were crappy too use, tactical reload out the window, the straps were just too short making it all too tight. Without the straps, the mags wouldn't stay in place, when moving. Either way I made me decide not to buy tactical gear from them again.
I use kit from www.uktactical.com too, they're running similar pouches, rigs etc. as all other gear companies.

You wouldn't happen to know of any "hard-case" holsters (which are molle attachable) for SIG P210 (our old shitty service pistol) ? I have heard something about most legholster for the Colt 1911 is usable for the SIG too, but don't know if the same goes for other types of holsters.

Anyway thanks again - really appreciate the help.

Let me get this straight.... you're using a SiG P210 as your service pistol? Hell, I'll give you a brand new in the box GLOCK Gen 4 17 with a couple of mags for one of your Sigs. Do you know how much those puppies go for? Couple of thousand Stateside..... But yeah.... the SiG P210 is a fine pistol for it's day and will even be a fine pistol for the average firearm owner but for the modern war fighter. Something a little more updated like a GLOCK or a FNH FNP is the way to go.

I know of a couple of companies that will do one off custom holsters out of kydex. I'll get you the info ASAP.

For 5.11..... I haven't used their single m4 mag pouch. I use their pistol mag pouches and love 'em.

Tomorrow I'll have some pics and info for you on my rigs.

Yeah we do - I said it was crap, because it is just not good enough for todays soldiers. I mean 8 rounds, 9 if you've chambered a round - just doesn't cut it these days. Out of ammo, then only armed with the SIG in the GZ - sucky situation.

Well it just might be a glitch in their production (5.11) but it just made me cautious about buying any of their stuff - really isn't that hard to make an M4 single mag pouch.

Cool - appreciate it mate...

pictures123.jpg

pictures125.jpg

jonathon from AR15.com said:
I've gone through more than a few chest rigs.. the 2 piece MAV with X Harness is my favorite It's not bulky yet has lots of room on it and it's very comfortable wearing it long term. The only fix I had to do was on the TT pouchs.. the malice clips hung over the edge and dug in a bit with the sharp edges.. took a knife and beveled the edges and no more digging.

mav308loadout01.jpg

mav308loadout04.jpg

mav308loadout05.jpg

Not mine.... but to show you that with a Tactical Tailor MAV and X-Harness you can use a MOLLE Hydration Bladder.

Last edited:
100_0903.jpg

100_0904.jpg

100_0905.jpg

For use with MSAR E4, AR-15s, and AR-180B

Point Blank Interceptor Vest with Plates and Soft Armor
Tactical Tailor 2 Piece MAV w/ X-Harness

From left to right

5.11 Single Mag Pouch w/ SOG Multi-tool
Pentagon Light
5.11 Double Pistol Mag Pouch
Tactical Tailor 3 30rd Mag Pouch
KA-BAR Knife
5.11 Dump Pouch
Maxpedition Fight Medical Pouch

On the back is an old pre MOLLE Hyradtion Bladder

Last edited:
100_0908.jpg

This setup is for my SBR FN PS90

Condor Plate Carrier

From left to right

Surefire L2 Flashlight
Tactical Tailor FN P90 / H&K UMP Mag Pouch
GLOCK Field Knife

On the back is a No name MOLLE Hyradtion Bladder Pouch

100_0912.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0913.jpg

Duty Belt

From left to right

Bianchi Mace Pouch w/ Freeze +P Mace
Handcuff Keys on Belt Keeper
Bianchi Radio Pouch w/ Radio
Belt Keeper
Streamlight M6 on Streamlight Belt Clip
Belt Keeper for Streamlight SL20
Bianchi Handcuff Case with S&W Hinged Cuff
Leatherman Multi-tool
Bianchi Baton Pouch w/ ASP Baton
Belt Keeper
Safariland Ratpor Series Holster w/ Department Issue Gen 3 GLOCK 22
Belt Keeper w/ Spare Car Key (covered by holster in the photos)
Bianchi Double Pistol Mag Pouch

100_0910.jpg

For use with MSAR E4, AR-15s, and AR-180B

(This is my active shooter vest, it stays in the trunk of my patrol car)

5.11 Mini Chest Rig

From left to right

[Left Pouch has a Gerber EOD Multi-Tool]
[Right Pouch has Surefire Z2 Flashlight]
Condor Double Mag Pouch
[Can hold four AR-15 Mags]

100_0907.jpg

For use with AK-47, MSAR E4, AR-15s, or AR-180B

Condor Chest Rig

From left to right

Ancient Surplus Mag Pouch w/ ALCIE Clips
[Hold First Aid Kit]
Condor 3 Cell Double AR-15 Mag Pouch
[3 AK-47 Mags or 9 AR-15 Mags]
Condor 3 Cell Pistol Mag Pouch
[Two Pistol Mags followed by a Leatherman Multi-Tool]
Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife

100_0911.jpg

Bianchi Belt w/ Safariland 6007 Thigh Holster

GLOCK 22 with Surefire X200 & spare pistol mag pouch

I wear this in conjunction with the Interceptor Vest, AK Rig, FN P90 Rig or even the Mini Rig.

Cheers again mate !

Great pics - I've got a pretty good idea which direction I will be going now - really appreciate all the pictures.

The MAV looks to work well in conjuction with an Armour Carrier + I want to keep the weight to a minimum, so that will probably be my choice.

Cheers again mate !

Great pics - I've got a pretty good idea which direction I will be going now - really appreciate all the pictures.

The MAV looks to work well in conjuction with an Armour Carrier + I want to keep the weight to a minimum, so that will probably be my choice.

I think a MAV is the way to go..... It's just such a great piece of kit. You can wear a PC under it, drape it over a armor vest, etc.... It's a wonderful piece of kit.

Yeah - thanks again - always good to hear from someone else, what kit they have experience with and what they recommend.

How long were you in the military, before LE, 5.56 ?

Yeah - thanks again - always good to hear from someone else, what kit they have experience with and what they recommend.

How long were you in the military, before LE, 5.56 ?

I did four years and got a nicked in the leg.... went home. Got out... became a gun smith and later a cop. I really don't like talking about my time in service. Sorry but somethings in my past I just don't like remembering.

Technical side I don't have a problem with. It's just that it's a chapter of my life that's closed and I'd like to keep it closed. I don't feel the need to thump my chest. Somethings I don't want to remember. Not trying to be rude... but I think you understand.

Back