Cheney Flap - VP claims the Office of the VP is not part of the executive branch.

mmarsh

Has anybody been following the latest Chaney Flap?

In a Nutshell, Cheney is refusing to turn over secret documents (most likely the indictable kind of secret documents) to the Information Security Oversight Office at the National Archives (which is also part of the executive branch).

From the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,2366477.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

"At issue is a requirement that executive branch offices provide data on how much material they classify and declassify. That information is to be provided to the Information Security Oversight Office at the National Archives.

The White House contends that Cheney is complying properly. It says the presidential order was not intended to treat the vice president's office as an executive branch "agency," and therefore Cheney's office is exempt from the reporting requirement".

So essentially what Cheney is claiming is that the Office of the Vice-Presidency is not part of the Executive Branch..

Ex-Squeeze me? After 250 years of American Politics we are just finding out now that the VP is not part of the executive branch. Its so pathetic its not even funny. That's like like saying the Queen of England is not really part of the Monarchy.

But what about Cheney oft use of EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE such as for his Energy Task Force. Or when he claimed Executive Privilege during the Libby case? Which way is it Dick? Basically Lord Cheney is deciding when he's a member of the executive branch and when he is not.

We went to Iraq (supposedly) to bring Democracy to the Iraqis, instead we have imported totalitarianism to the United States. This stunt is right out of Saddam Hussein's playbook see under the "laws don't apply to me" section. Only dictators interpret laws around themselves.

But, the Dems have the right answer. Since the VP is no longer part of the executive branch then there is no need for them to fund Cheney's Office.

Last edited:
Tomtom

Cheney is as corrupt as he is nasty. Thats his nature. Standing by and letting him urinate on all of us should not be in our nature. What I expect is that ALL Americans (Liberal and Conservative) put away the partisanship for a sec and throw this arrogant tyrant out of office and most likely into jail. He is harming all of us.

People use the term 'evil' a lot as a passing remark. But I truly think Cheney is evil. Evil is defined as pure selfishness. Thats sums up Cheney to a tee. In the past 6 years, there isn't anything he has done that isn't for his own personal benefit be it wealth, power, or pride. Even putting aside politics, He is truly a repulsive person. He is dishonest, he is mean, and I think there is a level of cruelty to the man. I think he enjoys hurting people, much as the in Joseph Wilson case.

As much as I hate the rest of the Bush Administration, none of the others (Including Bush or even Rummy) have this aura of malevolence as the Vice President. He even looks like an ass**** by the way he is always scowling.

Last edited:
Do you think he should be considered part of the executive branch when he acts as a tie breaker in the senate also?

yes, he is second in command to the president. And every VP before him has been executive.

Cheney reminds me of the penguin from the Batman TV show from the 60s.

Do you think he should be considered part of the executive branch when he acts as a tie breaker in the senate also?

The Vice President his always part of the Executive Branch....

Twentieth Amendment
Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

otherwise his term would start with the US Senate.

Years ago when the Founders came up with the blueprint for the Federal Government the person with the most Votes in the Electoral College became President, the person with the second most Votes became Vice President, and I believe that is why the Vice President was given the power to break ties in the United States Senate, and not to put the US Senate in the Executive Branch of Federal Government, or the Executive Branch in the United States Senate.

Noted though, if that were the only job he had today, and if such were the only info/intel he was allowed access to, sure, I'd say he may have a case, in this case, but I doubt the Federal Government is seeking his records keeping information on Senate Votes and Bills before the United States Senate, and a doubt the Vice President would have a problem turning such over if that were the case.

Last edited:
Back