Chelsea pensioner to do 300ft bungee jump

Queensman

Ex Middlesex, 4th and 2nd Battalion Sgt Alan Rutter now residing as a Chelsea Pensioner has agreed to do a sponsored 300ft bungee jump on PM 30 August at Windsor Bray, Monkey Island Lane, Maidenhead, West Berkshire, SL6 2EB. He has taken on this challenge to raise money for the Queen's Regiment Benevolent Fund and the Chelsea Hospital and we are going to split what we raise between us. He will be supported by his brother Dave, also a Chelsea pensioner and ex Middlesex, 1st, 3rd and 4th Battalions.

The above was the content of an email I received from my regimental association. I find it quite an amazing thing for an old man to do. I may even drive over to watch him, and to see if I can catch his medals( more like his false teeth with my luck), and to cheer him on.

There is a link if anyone wants to donate to it, but I realise that not everyone is in the uk and may or may not be inclined.
However he should get acknowledged for what he is doing.

https://u167206.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/...dmo46KLT5WgumYk0fw1R1Sb2CRYxb-2Fiq7LGXQ-3D-3D

Thanks Queensman,

You just provided with the answer to a very concerning query, where the RMP originates from, the Monkey Island Lane.

The Middlesex Regiments nick name isn't "The Diehards" for nothing.:thumb:

They, alongside these other regiments went on to form one of the best regiments the army has ever had, the queens regiment, and when they were merged with the Hampshire regiment it was named the princess of Wales royal regiment with it's TA units often using older names in there titles. Alongside the new royal regiment of fusilieers and the new royal anglian regiment and not forgetting the Gibraltar regiment, they all became part of Queens Division
The four regiments formed four battalions, retaining their previous names in the titles. These were:

1st Battalion (Queen's Surreys) – formerly the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment (2nd, 31st & 70th Regiments of Foot).
2nd Battalion (Queen's Own Buffs) – formerly Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment (3rd, 50th & 97th Regiments of Foot).
3rd Battalion (Royal Sussex) – formerly the Royal Sussex Regiment (35th & 107th Regiments of Foot).
4th Battalion (Middlesex) – formerly the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) (57th & 77th Regiments of Foot).

They, alongside these other regiments went on to form one of the best regiments the army has ever had, the queens regiment, and when they were merged with the Hampshire regiment it was named the princess of Wales royal regiment with it's TA units often using older names in there titles. Alongside the new royal regiment of fusilieers and the new royal anglian regiment and not forgetting the Gibraltar regiment, they all became part of Queens Division
The four regiments formed four battalions, retaining their previous names in the titles. These were:

1st Battalion (Queen's Surreys) – formerly the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment (2nd, 31st & 70th Regiments of Foot).
2nd Battalion (Queen's Own Buffs) – formerly Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment (3rd, 50th & 97th Regiments of Foot).
3rd Battalion (Royal Sussex) – formerly the Royal Sussex Regiment (35th & 107th Regiments of Foot).
4th Battalion (Middlesex) – formerly the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) (57th & 77th Regiments of Foot).

I was in D Company, 5th Battalion Queens Regiment TA for 5 years, later became 6/7th Queens.

My Granddad served with the Middlesex Regiment from 1914 right through to 1918. He was on the Somme and amazingly survived. I have no idea what Battalion he was with.

Last edited:
I was 2 queens and did 9 months as a psi in A company 5 queens.
Mostly in the training up of new recruits and giving them the crash course leading up to ex lionheart in 84. Loads of fun and gobsmacked faces when I turned up at the depot to join in with the training, mostly though it was so I could meet up with some of my mates who were instructors there. I was always impressed with the effort that part time soldiers put into the TA, fitness was down to the individual, me taking them for a run once a week wouldn't keep them fit, just determination on there part. I very rarely had to have words with people but told them I expected an improvement in fitness.
I hope you had a good time in 5 queens, I spoke to the GOC south east at the Aldershot army show who was very impressed with the 5th battalion the queens regiment. He went on to say it was the best TA infantry battalion he had come across and had high expectations for the approaching ex lionheart.
That was down to guys like yourself joining the TA and giving it the best you could.

Was your RSM at 5 queens a bloke called Tony Curtis?
And the battalion co called lt col Shepard?

I really can't remember Matey, it was a long time ago.

When we were 5 Queens we were part of the NATO battalion to go to Germany, when we became 6/7 Queens we were nothing more then Dads Army, which is why I left. I got annoyed that they took away my GPMG and gave me a clapped out BREN with worn scears instead.

I was 2 queens and did 9 months as a psi in A company 5 queens.
Mostly in the training up of new recruits and giving them the crash course leading up to ex lionheart in 84. Loads of fun and gobsmacked faces when I turned up at the depot to join in with the training, mostly though it was so I could meet up with some of my mates who were instructors there. I was always impressed with the effort that part time soldiers put into the TA, fitness was down to the individual, me taking them for a run once a week wouldn't keep them fit, just determination on there part. I very rarely had to have words with people but told them I expected an improvement in fitness.
I hope you had a good time in 5 queens, I spoke to the GOC south east at the Aldershot army show who was very impressed with the 5th battalion the queens regiment. He went on to say it was the best TA infantry battalion he had come across and had high expectations for the approaching ex lionheart.
That was down to guys like yourself joining the TA and giving it the best you could.

After I left London in 1976 I moved to Essex where I joined 215 Squadron 151 Regiment RCT. I was in Germany 1978 where I broke my arm, then exercise Crusader, then Lionheart.

On one German exercise we were accompanied by a film crew making a film for the TA titled "Call Out." They used the Squadron bar for a few of the scenes, as I was the Bar Steward the film company paid through the nose for the drinks consumed. The kids had a brilliant Christmas party that year.:D

Last edited:
Back