Chela, Penetta reach Mexican Open semis

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

ACAPULCO, Mexico - Fourth-seeded Juan Ignacio Chela advanced to the semifinals of the Mexican Open on Thursday, beating sixth-seeded Nicolas Massu 6-3, 6-7 (6), 7-5.
Chela will face Argentine countryman Agustin Calleri, a 6-3, 6-4 winner over Jose Acasuso, in the semifinals.
"It's always tough to play against Massu", Chela said. "But, he made some mistakes, and I took advantage of them."
Chela will face Argentine countryman Agustin Calleri, a 6-3, 6-4 winner over Jose Acasuso, in the semifinals.
Chela, the runner-up last year, has lost his past four meetings against Calleri.
"Every match is different," Chela said. "Agustin is a very good player. I have to play great tomorrow to beat him. Right now I'm thinking more about having a good sleep."
In the other quarterfinals Thursday night, eighth-seeded Carlos Moya beat Nicolas Almagro 7-6 (3), 6-3 to set up a match and against top-seeded Juan Carlos Ferrero, a 6-4, 6-1 winner over fifth-seeded Gaston Gaudio.
In women's play, fifth-seeded Flavia Penetta - the 2005 winner and 2006 runner-up - beat Alize Cortne 7-5, 6-4 to set up a semifinal match against the winner of the late match between second-seeded Tathiana Garbin and Sara Errani.
In the other quarterfinals, Emilie Loit beat sixth-seeded Gisela Dulko 5-7, 6-4, 6-1, and Julia Schruff topped Mexican favorite Melissa Torres 6-1, 6-4.

Back