Chavez To Start Kalashnikov Factory In Venezuela

I wonder what Sukhoi fighter they were talking about? Some of them can really give our planes a run for their money.

AK-103 is an interesting choice, I wonder if it's because they prefer the 7.62x39mm round or if it's just becuase they have so much of it lying around. Either way, I'd love to have one of these fine rifles, the modern version of the classic, (in)famous AK-47.

I wouldn't mind owning a AK-103. Sweet looking Kalashnikov. I'd just trick it out like this though.

MaadiACR2.jpg

Chavez is arming up for a conflict and if aren't planning to invade what is he going to do with all these new toys with his country falling apart around his ears? I know historically what leaders in this formula do and it is not good.

Who does he really think he can successfully invade? What do his neighbors have that he doesn't? He's just another tin pot dictator rattling his saber to the detriment of his people.

Did it cross anybody's mind that he might sell these weapons for some hard currency. Chances that he'll invade anybody are slim... This dictator is trying to make money with a product that will sell.... always and everywhere. I would call it a smart business move! It is sure beats growing coca, doesn't it?

Already, Venezuela makes a copy of a New Age Czech Pistol. The Arms Moravia CZ-G 2000.

Arms Moravia CZ-G 2000 (Czech republic)

cz-g2000-1.jpg

cz-g2000-2.jpg

Type: Double Action
Chamber: 9x19mm Luger, .40SW
Weight unloaded: 780 g
Length: 185 mm
Barrel length: 102 mm
Capacity: 15 or 19 rounds (9mm), 12 or 15 rounds (.40)

This semiautomatic pistol has been developed in around 1999 by small Czech arms factory CZ-Guns Trade (not to be confused with famous CZ-UB factory located in the city of Uhersky Brod). Apparently, this pistol has been designed for Czech police pistol trials, that were won by CZ-75 P01. Initially offered for export by another Czech company, Arms Moravia, this pistol was sold for a short time on European commercial markets, but soon disappeared without a trace, until 2005, when its design surfaced a half-world away from its home, in Venezuela, where it is made under license by CAVIM as 9mm Zamorana pistol.

CZ-G 2000 pistol uses traditional short recoil, locked breech, tilting barrel action. Barrel locks into slide with single large lug that enters ejection window; unlocking is controlled by the cam-shaped lug below the barrel which interacts with the cross-pin, set into frame. Pistol frame is made from impact-resistant polymer, with removable steel insert that hosts slide rails. Trigger is of double action type, with exposed hammer, automated firing pin block and slide-mounted decocker lever (left side only). Magazines are double stack, magazine release is located at the base of the enlarged trigger guard. Sights are fixed, both front and rear being dovetailed into the slide.

Zamorana Pistol (Venezuela)

zamorana.jpg

Type: Double Action
Chamber: 9x19mm Luger
Weight unloaded: 755 g
Length: 188 mm
Barrel length: 102 mm
Capacity: 15 Round 9x19mm

Zamorana pistol is manufactured since 2005 in Venezuela by CAVIM factory. It is a license-built version of not widely known Czech CZ-G 2000 pistol, and while official sources claim that Zamorana is 100% made in Venezuela, some unofficial sources suggest that at least certain parts, such as frame, are imported from Czech republic. Zamorana, by the way, is the name of famous Venezuelan war chief.

Zamorana pistol uses traditional short recoil, locked breech, tilting barrel action. Barrel locks into slide with single large lug that enters ejection window; unlocking is controlled by the cam-shaped lug below the barrel which interacts with the cross-pin, set into frame. Pistol frame is made from impact-resistant polymer, with removable steel insert that hosts slide rails. Trigger is of double action type, with exposed hammer, automated firing pin block and slide-mounted decocker lever (left side only). Magazines are double stack, magazine release is located at the base of the enlarged trigger guard. Sights are fixed, both front and rear being dovetailed into the slide.

I think he does want to jump into the Arms Market.

Last edited:
Ted said:
Did it cross anybody's mind that he might sell these weapons for some hard currency. Chances that he'll invade anybody are slim... This dictator is trying to make money with a product that will sell.... always and everywhere. I would call it a smart business move! It is sure beats growing coca, doesn't it?

The country will spend even more petro-income trying to build copies of firearms that would be cheaper to buy. Factories that only have blueprints and no specialized equipment and tooling for production can take years to be up and running. There are also problems such as specialized labor.

"Venezuela continues to be highly dependent on the petroleum sector, accounting for roughly one-third of GDP, around 80% of export earnings, and over half of government operating revenues."

"Small-scale illicit producer of opium and coca for the processing of opiates and coca derivatives; however, large quantities of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana transit the country from Colombia bound for US and Europe."

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ve.html#Econ

But many developmental economists stick to a certain trajectory of development. One of the latest stages is the valorisation of export products. The Brasilians choose the VW Beattle and that flopped. So in that respect I think Chavez has chosen sensible by producing a product for which there is always a demand. So I focus less on the product and more on the production chain..... These might get Venzuela into an upward economic cycle...

Back