changing a national flag

CHANGE THE FLAG?

• STATUS QUO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chewie_nz

Banned
a Petition has been started here in NZ to change our national flag, the idea being that our flag is too similar to Australias, our ties with mother england have weakened and that it's time for change.

most oppisition is from the returned servicemans association, as this is the flag that servicemen died for in many wars.

while i understand where they are coming from, i feel it is time for change, tell me though, what do you think?

this is my pick from the current options;

aotearoa-flag-newnov04.jpg

1) The bold simplicity of our koru lends itself perfectly to a flag. A good flag's insignia should be instantly discernible at any scale, and I believe simple enough for anyone to draw from memory. The symbolism of the koru is positive - new life unfolding, growth, hope for the future. It is unique to New Zealand - no other country's flag has a spiral motif. I like the ideology of Hundertwasser's proposed version, but I wanted this koru to be more open, with more natural, flowing lines. Its shape is open to interpretation, suggesting fern, wave, mountain or cloud.

2) Our geographical position defines us, and bonds us with our South Pacific neighbours. For this reason I have retained the Southern Cross, in a form similar to our current flag, but here balanced symmetrically with the koru. Inclusion of the Southern Cross also acknowledges our past, and remembers all those who served under it defending their country.

3) The colours build on New Zealand's strong existing identification (primarily through sporting achievements), with black and white. The third colour in this design - red, bestows depth and emotion. It was chosen in favour of green, which I feel is too literal and doesn't match red's warmth or spirit. Black, white and red are traditional pigments of our land; they complement the colours of our bush, and are powerfully symbolic. They echo the Tino Rangatiratanga flag, which I have much respect for, and the same representations may apply: Black - the darkness from which the world emerged, male, potential. White - the physical world of being, purity, harmony, light. Red - the realm of creation, female, sustaining energy. These colours have broad appeal across different sectors of our culture, and would place no limits on the versatility of the flag's use.

Embracing a new national flag could open many new possibilities for us as a country. I believe this flag would bring us closer together, and provide a more heartfelt sense of identity.

http://www.nzflag.com/default.cfm

Yeah... I am rarely able to differentiate between the NZ and Austrailian flag. I see NZ flag and it just registers as Australia to me because I don't really care to count the cute little stars. Go ahead and change it.

Well it's certainly nothing new.
Georgia changed theirs a while ago.
I think they should keep the old one for the veterans a little longer.

Interesting little "!" you put at the end of change. Subtle little message eh? ;)

the_13th_redneck said:
Well it's certainly nothing new.
Georgia changed theirs a while ago.
I think they should keep the old one for the veterans a little longer.

Interesting little "!" you put at the end of change. Subtle little message eh? ;)

GUILTY!

subtle huh?

BTW i have always liked south koreas flag....and by any chance have you seen the video for basement jax's song "kish kash"? it may remind you of somethign.... :)

KC72 said:
Why are the colours significant?

traditional maori colours, also see it on NCO sash's in the NZ army

nz-2002-b.jpg

Black - the darkness from which the world emerged, male, potential. White - the physical world of being, purity, harmony, light. Red - the realm of creation, female, sustaining energy. These colours have broad appeal across different sectors of our culture, and would place no limits on the versatility of the flag's use.

I agree, change the flag, but I do not like the proposed design. For some reason I prefer simpler designs such as 3 stripes, simple shapes, etc.

what are the other options that you are talking about? you only show one pic, maybe another is in order here.... although i do think it looks cool, it just reminds me of those social science classes that i had in elementary school where we had to reproduce a drawing of the Canadian Flag...that was tough, but the swirly would be harder too! lol, i dunno, what ever i guess

Personally out of the ones on the website, I like the New Southern Cross design - simple and distinctive - I can't think of another country with a flag quite like that.

Although I am not sure about changing the flag, is there to be a vote or anything about it?

I agree with the changing of the design, and maybe not so much in colors. The flag for some reason comes off as a logo, or extremely modern and artsy. It's cool though, but I think a simpler flag would probably serve best.

chewie_nz said:
BTW i have always liked south koreas flag....and by any chance have you seen the video for basement jax's song "kish kash"? it may remind you of somethign.... :)

Hmmm not seen that. What's it like?

Hmm, If people feel the flag dose not represent the country, they should change it.

We have people talking about doing the same here, but i feel very attached to the flag. :?

this is the design that the creators of the petition want, it is simple, but i think it looks like a pirate flag, also too close to supporters flags for the all blacks rugby team (not all of us like rugby :))
newzealandflag_530.gif

another flag that i like is this one;
tino.gif

this is the flag of "tino rangatirotanga" (say it as it's spelt) but as this represents something very divisive here in NZ, (maori self rule) it won't be adopted

the only way the NZ flag can be changed is after a binding referendum, and the petition is the first step towards that.

Yes, I think you should have your own flag without the Union Jack in the canton, Australia too for that matter. I like the Mike Lloyd design. Proper Moari colors while still keeping the Southern Cross stars in red so long identified with New Zealand. The fern would also salve the feelings of the veterans who had fought for the old flag. One only has to look at the WWI gravestone at http://www.nzflag.com/gallery.cfm to see that that symbol is already embraced by them.

I think the Southern Cross MUST be kept somewhere because that is the part of the current flag that really represents traditional New Zealand.

I kinda have an idea of what a nice flag might look like.

Background is a not too dark green. With a branch with leaves coming out in a light relaxing color.

Back