changing a national flag

CHANGE THE FLAG?

• STATUS QUO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yeah....the tino rangatirotanga flag is favourite (if no other issues were attatched to it)

it's striking and instantly identifiable. but we had enough trouble debating possible maori ownership of our whole coastline, seabed & foreshore. i think adopting their flag would be "the line" for some people

EagleStrike said:
Lol I just can't seem to find myself liking the red and black for some reason lol. Just doesn't seem to fit.

maybe this one is to your taste then?
Hundertwasser.jpg

'Frederick' Hundertwasser (1928-2000), born in Austria, an internationally renowned artist, architect and environmentalist, travelled to New Zealand in 1973 for an exhibition of his paintings. .... In 1983 he gifted 'The Koru Flag' to New Zealand in appreciation of becoming a New Zealand citizen.

We like the clean design, with the green koru, in a deep leafy green, lighter than the richer green often used in flags, its curling movement and strong links with New Zealand's heritage and mythology.

~and the movement has been acknowlaged by our PM

Prime Minister Helen Clark has given her strongest indication she supports changing the flag.

In her annual statement to Parliament, she acknowledged growing calls for constitutional reform and a new flag, and said Kiwis should "celebrate the fact that our nation is now mature enough to embark on these debates".

She stopped short of endorsing change, but her comments were more supportive than in the past.

Miss Clark is apparently reluctant to take a position while the possibility of a referendum exists. She is also wary of endorsing a new flag because returned soldiers who fought overseas under the existing one are still alive.

A group seeking a new flag has launched a petition for a non-binding referendum on the issue.

The bulk of Miss Clark's speech spelt out Labour's priorities, such as boosting household savings and more childcare.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3174287a10,00.html

Back