Challenge Coins

I have two, one from my Drill Sgt and one for the 20th anniversary launch of the US Space Shuttle. It was given to me by one of the astronauts.

All,
Talking about Challenge Coins, I have found that Commanders and senior staff officers (above Division Level) pass out Challenge Coins, as a way to recognize soldiers, that have done something of merit. This has become the standard, to the detriment of not recognizing soldiers with Letters of Appreciation, or even lower level achievement medals and ribbons. (Such as what the Army Achievement Medal was originally developed for). Of the number of CC that I have, the most precious is the one I received from the Presidential Secret Service detail. Had to do with Lower Tier Air Defense, presidential protection and challenging external threats to the nation's leadership.
Just my two cents worth.

Chief

I got one from the 56th ADA, which is now headquartered at Ft. Bliss. I was soldier of the month for which I received a $25 savings bond. When I went back and won soldier of the quarter, I got a coin from a Sgt. Major who was on the review board. I got another bond and a writeup in my hometown paper. That was the first time I had ever seen a challenge coin. I was still in shock from standing and delivering before four Sgt. Majors. There were more stripes there that day than on a Bengal tiger.

Missileer,

But did you get a AAM?

On some level I believe that soldiers desire that colored ribbon as recognition on the uniform, more so than a CC, which may in fact remain in a drawer, a year later.
As you are aware, AAMs, ARCOMs etc. are worth promotion points to young E-5s, and that is additional monies in their pocket. Congratulations on that SOQ board.

Chief

TheChief05 said:
Missileer,

But did you get a AAM?

On some level I believe that soldiers desire that colored ribbon as recognition on the uniform, more so than a CC, which may in fact remain in a drawer, a year later.
As you are aware, AAMs, ARCOMs etc. are worth promotion points to young E-5s, and that is additional monies in their pocket. Congratulations on that SOQ board.

Chief

No, Chief, all I got was an attaboy. I don't think they were giving out medal or ribbon type awards for achievement until I was out of the service in 1965. The early `60s were pretty slim pickin's when it came to awards unless you went overseas and Vietnam was just beginning but I was too short by that time.

I recieved one at my JROTC awards nite this year. we do a lot of stuff with the local ARNG units and because i helped plan many of these activities i got one. ill put pics up later but on one side it has the AFJROTC crest with the words "BETTER CITIZENS FOR AMERICA", and on the other side it has a picture of a minuteman against the background of the state of massachusetts with the words "MASSACHUSETTS ARMY NATIONAL GUARD AMERICAS OLDEST MILITIA". out of 200 cadets, only 12 got a coin.

All,

I have challenged myself to get this challenge coin uploaded to the forum for your viewing pleasure. I received this in Sept 2002, in Washington DC, and at that time I was working for the Commanding General of the USA Air Defense Center and School. So with that data, you can probably determine why and what I was doing.

I hope this works.

Regards

Chief 05

PPD.jpg

I have one of these....

EODcoin.jpg

I know someone who got this coin in the mail today

Too many Coins, Coins just for anything and everything under the sun, sort of takes the fun out of Challenge Coins, and, just like giving Medals out for anything and everything under the sun, well it takes the prestige out of having a Coin in the first place if you ask me Major.

Years ago, when EOD started playing the Coin game, EOD did it mostly among ourselves, as there was a rank structure to the Coins, and our Coin was low on the Totem Pole.
Years back Jobs that carried a Badge or Tab were the ones with Coins mostly.
Sure SF outranked us, SF Vietnam outranked all, and things like CIB, Ranger, and Airborne and such, but hell even Air Assault outranked ours, I believe merely because the 101 had moved to Air Moble.
Troops no longer assigned to the Unit corresponding to the Badge or Tab were at the bottom, even with a Coin, when other Troops still holding the MOS were playing.
It was our chance to poke fun at such Airborne and Air Assault Badge holders because to hold an EOD Badge one had to work in the job for at least 18 months in the field after School in order for the Badge to become permanent, which (along with the length of the School) helped keep Badge Collectors away.
They used the Reg. for the Coin Rank System, and an EOD Badge was the lowest Badge one could wear at a Class 5 Award.

Thanks for tossing me under the bus Major, well at the very least standing by and watching me jump head first. You could have PM'ed me and told me it was Redleg you were posting about.

101st Airborne Air Assault Challenge Coin with my rank, name, and date of graduation from THE Air Assault School on the back. I assure you, that coin has some chips and dings in it from challenges and I've enjoyed many a beer because of it =)

Back