Celtiberians Illustration

Hey there...I myself, am interested in the early Iberian celtics and am looking into their culture and language.

I'd like to say I admired your picture and think the detail is sharp (no pun intended). It's an interesting subject matter in which you have offered insight, so thank you.

Additionally, visually your pic for me, offered a pleasant experience by way of the harmony you achieved within the line and colour. Well I hope that makes sense and you dont think im just rambling...so nice work there in my humble opinion...

I have included a link to a page that has some nice details on shields that I thought you may be interested to see if you hadn't already that is...so just past a third of the way down on the page (linked below) is some simple but detailed shape/line-styled graphics of Middle Celtiberian shields that, although outside the particular time you highlighted for your pic, but of the same period depicted in your wonderful illustration, maybe of some use, in terms of offering additional visual background info of this fascinating culture's weaponary.:cheers:

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/celtic/ekeltoi/volumes/vol6/6_2/gorbea_lorrio_6_2.html

Last edited:
Hey there...I myself, am interested in the early Iberian celtics and am looking into their culture and language.

I'd like to say I admired your picture and think the detail is sharp (no pun intended). It's an interesting subject matter in which you have offered insight, so thank you.

Additionally, visually your pic for me, offered a pleasant experience by way of the harmony you achieved within the line and colour. Well I hope that makes sense and you dont think im just rambling...so nice work there in my humble opinion...

I have included a link to a page that has some nice details on shields that I thought you may be interested to see if you hadn't already that is...so just past a third of the way down on the page (linked below) is some simple but detailed shape/line-styled graphics of Middle Celtiberian shields that, although outside the particular time you highlighted for your pic, but of the same period depicted in your wonderful illustration, maybe of some use, in terms of offering additional visual background info of this fascinating culture's weaponary.:cheers:

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/celtic/ekeltoi/volumes/vol6/6_2/gorbea_lorrio_6_2.html

He does some pretty nice work, spent quite a bit of time checking out the drawings at his website.

I have been waiting to see a Roman collection though.

Last edited:
He does some pretty nice work, spent quite a bit of time checking out the drawings at his website.

I have been waiting to see a Roman collection though.

Hi Monty,
Yes, I agree with you, JP's work is worth a look in... :bravo:

Also, i'm curious Monty, and I hope you don't mind me asking this, but in your post did you mean your waiting on JP, in particular, to do some Roman themed works?

Also, i'm curious Monty, and I hope you don't mind me asking this, but in your post did you mean your waiting on JP, in particular, to do some Roman themed works?

To be honest I would like to see any Roman works. As much as having an interest in Ancient Rome is pretty cliche I have a great deal of interest in Roman military engineering.

To be honest I would like to see any Roman works. As much as having an interest in Ancient Rome is pretty cliche I have a great deal of interest in Roman military engineering.

Who cares about cliches right...I too am a fan of such things and am currently in a jovial debate with my brother about how much the Romans learnt/borrowed/took (whichever you prefer) from the Greeks, but thats another other story...

I don't mean to derail this thread by any means, but if you don't mind me suggesting...in the possibility that you may not have had the chance to date to already do so,...you could take a look at some of the fine art websites around, there are quite a few out there that have works depicting, to name a few; different soldier formations, amphibious assaults and/or historical battle scenes, all of the Roman military. Well I do hope that is of some use for you. Cheers :)

Last edited:
hehe a Kiwi at a fine arts website that would be a first.

Given that the Romans had a great deal of respect for the Greek civilisation and even went as far as to preserve Greek architecture after they annexed Greece I would imagine they did borrow a lot from them however I don't think it is unusual for a new era to borrow and refine the previous era's ways.

hehe a Kiwi at a fine arts website that would be a first.

Given that the Romans had a great deal of respect for the Greek civilisation and even went as far as to preserve Greek architecture after they annexed Greece I would imagine they did borrow a lot from them however I don't think it is unusual for a new era to borrow and refine the previous era's ways.

...where's your pioneering spirit MontyB :-D jk ......well I guess there'll be no need to worry about cliiches there then hey...:salute:

But of course, borrowing from what was before has been 'a' usual path for many a new ruling class/society etc, as they embed, design and define their system of beliefs and culture (in/into the new culture), contrasting and differientiating the old from the new has most often (as far as I know) historically been a successful strategy of conquerors and there supporters...I agree with you again...so I think, well said MontyB, thanks for sharing with me :)

Last edited:
Nice one. It is believed to be connected with fertility. The current Marquis of Bath (Longleat) claims that he was concieved on the figure, ending his parent's difficulties in that respect. As it happens, his father was a rabid Facist, and did his damnest to indoctrinate his sons. No luck with the current Marquis, who is a real character, famous for his large band of wifelets and 'interesting' murals.:)

Of course, here in the west country we have a great amount of Roman inheritance.

Of course, here in the west country we have a great amount of Roman inheritance.

....and i'd heard you British didn't like to bathe much...:-D

Sorry I really couldn't help myself there, it had to be said :D just being a cheeky imp, hope you know i'm just kidding hey...:D

...think I might be getting into some deep water there, so I'd better go before I get myself into trouble...so see ya!

Seriously, thanks for the 'fertile' history lesson Del Boy...interesting stuff, I believe you are correct and also well informed. :cool:

Fertile from Latin fertilis, from ferre to carry, bear....when applied figuratively, it suggests readiness of invention and development <a fertile imagination>. :thumb:

Last edited:
Yup - I've always dealt in fact as well as fine antique art. Especially with Rome and the rest of Italy. No-one misses the Italians more than I.

Batheing - not so, we always insist on houses with at least 4 bedrooms and three bathrooms, and nowhere in England is far from the sea. Some of us swim the channel, and it rains constantly. You must be confusing us with people who live on continents.:p

Yup - I've always dealt in fact as well as fine antique art. Especially with Rome and the rest of Italy. No-one misses the Italians more than I.

Batheing - not so, we always insist on houses with at least 4 bedrooms and three bathrooms, and nowhere in England is far from the sea. Some of us swim the channel, and it rains constantly. You must be confusing us with people who live on continents.:p

gosh can't seem to stop myself...yeah there goes me and my blonde anna nicole smith blonde brain again...i must have it confused....i figured as you guys once were the underground slaves heating those damn roman baths you'd surely not be keen on all things watery or geez anything remotely near it.....:p

Yeah - but we painted ourselves blue and got on with it. As it happens, as a cockney, I might just be part of the remnants of the Roman garrison in London. Part of the legacy they left behind to fend for themselves when they cleared off after so many years. How about that for relics?

Yeah - but we painted ourselves blue and got on with it. As it happens, as a cockney, I might just be part of the remnants of the Roman garrison in London. Part of the legacy they left behind to fend for themselves when they cleared off after so many years. How about that for relics?

....someone say 'painted'...jk....:lol: ...so your not a :CG: afterall then...:p

All jokes aside, that's a fantastic claim to have Del Boy!

Easy.:confused:

Shen Kuo he say "I advocated the use of an interdisciplinary approach to archaeology and practiced such an approach myself through my work in metallurgy, optics, and geometry in the study of ancient measures."

Easy.:confused:

Shen Kuo he say "I advocated the use of an interdisciplinary approach to archaeology and practiced such an approach myself through my work in metallurgy, optics, and geometry in the study of ancient measures."

:wink: spot on...!!! but if your confused just think of what's east too california or whats east wait whats west or is that east, south-west too etc etc...heck now im confused...hahahaha

...but who u callin easy? lol have a great day del boy and keep up the homework!!!! jk

btw....just cannot help but say for no apparent reason, call me crazy if you like....i dont know about the rest of the world i cant can i but im loving life so much right this very second now my hearts bursting with so much happyness, it's just a great day just cause it is, and all those people who are being themselves well im loving ya and appreciating your way right now you got it all....and i just wanted to scream it from the rooftops, but thats just me...so take that!!!! lol :salute2:

Last edited:
Back