Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is a great book. It's has an interesting style, because it isn't told in a chronological narrative; instead, it jumps from event to event and follows many different characters. Most chapter names are also the names of the characters that are discussed in that specific chapter. Speaking of the characters, all of them are very interesting, ranging from the protagonist Yossarian, to Doc Daneeka, Capt. Aardvark, and Major Major Major Major (they also have interesting names). It's also quite humorous.

This was the second war novel I've read, and the first I've bought as an actual book (the first was the Short-Timers by Gustav Hasford, which is only available online). Like I said before, I think it's a great book, and a must read for all the war novel aficionados out there.

Has anyone else ever read it? If so, please tell me what you thought of the book - I'm curious about other people's opinions.

Yeah, hardly worth making an entire film out of...
So you have to be declared crazy to not go and fight, but if you told that to the doc, he'd clear you to go fight because you are obviously sane enough to not want to fight.

Life has crazier catch-22s.

Lord I must be old, in my day everyone read Catch 22!

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you Kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. Gordon Dickson

I have been staring at this book since it was given to me in high school. I know amazing it is because people have been saying that forever, but I have yet to sit down and actually crack it open. Maybe I'll give it a try soon.

Pick up Closing Time, it's a great read as well.

As for Captain Yo, that's my literary hero.

Back