Castle's

This castle was built by the Normans, but the battle of Hastings happened about eight miles to the north in a little village called of things Battle. In March 1067 William decided some five months after the battle to build a huge Abbey in honour of his victory. The high altar was built on the spot where King Harold fell in Battle. Much of the Abbey was destroyed during the reformation but there are some huge chunks of it left.

[/url]
Battle15.jpg

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/LeEnfield/Battle5.jpg[/img]

Another local Castle, this is Walmer Castle and is the home of the Lord Warden Of The Cinque Ports. This poat has been held by Wellington, and the Queen Mother to name a couple of them.

WalmerCastle1.jpg
img]

All the ones I have posted so far are all with in a short distance of were I live, some I can see out of the window.

CamberCastle.jpg

Camber Castle from the air[/img]

Until the late 16th century, most of the low lying ground between Rye and Winchelsea was a shallow harbour, called the Camber, protected from the sea by a long series of shingle banks. Between 1512 and 1514 Sir Edward Guldeford built a circular tower at the end of one of these shingle spits to defend the harbour. In 1538 the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain led Henry VIII to build a chain of artillery forts along the south coast to protect vulnerable and strategic areas. The existing tower at Camber was incorporated into a new fort built between 1539 and 1544. However the castle was to have a very short active life. By the end of the 16th century the silting of the Camber made the castle largely obsolete and in 1637 the garrison was disbanded. This early abandonment of the castle has meant that unlike other Henrician forts, such as Walmer Castle, that have been greatly modified over the centuries, at Camber Castle the original design still remains.

A visit to Camber Castle today involves a pleasant one mile walk across flat fields. The castle is managed by Rye Harbour Nature Reserve in co-operation with English Heritage and guided walks around the nature reserve and castle are organised regularly. The exterior of the castle is free to visit at any reasonable time, and the interior can be visited on weekend afternoons in the summer.

Do British army let you to drunk? Anyway, Those castle are really nice. I do like castles around in Europe.

The Army does mind you getting drunk, providing you are not to badly behaved. Although drinking on duty is another matter, but at times they used to bring the Rum around of a night which was always very welcome when you stuck out in the cold and wet.

Back