Caseless Ammunition: The Future?

What do you thin about Caseless Ammuntions?

• Good Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Obvious

Banned
Has this ever been a consideration for armies around the world? Since the invention of the G11, the invention of a caseless ammuntion rifle has opened doors. Do you think maybe soon enough well have every single gun fire caseless ammuntions?

There are many problems with caseless ammo.

When it gets wet its useless, hard to store, ect....

in testing the caseless ammo i believe it was H&K they found that brass absorbs a significant amount of heat and that when caseless ammo was fired the weapons overheat start cooking off rounds and just plain melt.

for the issues of water and storing, maybe they should put them in sealed plastic magazines, and theyr never "opened" until they are put into the gun, like the mag catch or something triggers a little door that opens, so the rounds are always sealed inside the magazine until they enter the gun. for the overheating thing, there will hopefully be new ways to get around that.

caseless ammo

springffield armory came up with caseless ammo in the pre civil war days. it did not work them and has not for anybody who has tried it since.

It sounds very involved, what ever happened to KISS [Keep It Simple Stupid] Ammunition gets chucked about it gets dropped in water you wade through rivers and swamps you get water in your gun and you still expect it to fire each and every time you pull the trigger.

They fixed the problem of cook off and i believe they have made it water proof. The bullet is no longer protruding out of the propellant, but rather inside the propellant.

The new caseless has been tested to increase the cook-off temperature an additional 200 degrees celsius to the gun.

So it will take more temperature for a gun with caseless to cook-off than a brass cased bullet gun.

The caseless as made so it only will ignit when the primer is struck. So it will only set of when fired from a gun. So its not too much of a problem, unless u leave it in the flame for a while.

The propellant is cover wtih a water repellant coating that makes the caseless water proof.

But brass is soo shiny :shock:
The ammunition might not cook off but what about the heat in the bore of the weapon, since the brass isn't there to absorb the heat it has to go some were.

I like the little 'tink' of cases hitting the ground.

The m-16 was supposed to be the perfect gun. Didnt work out the way they planned, eh?

The G11K2 was a caseless rifle, and it was reliable enough to pass the United States' ACR competition and come out ahead of all the other entries.

It couldn't cook off the rounds because of a weird firing mechanism that spins. Look it up on HKPro or some such.

Spartacus said:

The m-16 was supposed to be the perfect gun. Didnt work out the way they planned, eh?

I never complained. It seemed like a pretty effective killing tool, and not too bad for storing a little pointy thing, either. :-D

ironhorseredleg said:
Spartacus said:

I never complained. It seemed like a pretty effective killing tool, and not too bad for storing a little pointy thing, either. :-D

lol I stand corrected. :D

Back