Carry Firearm

Do you folks know the actual way things work in California - anybody?

I noticed the woman getting killed example.

In Oregon, at least, you need a permit to carry concealed, but not in the home. We have the insta-check law here.

That means that my wife or my dad who have no permit, can go to the gun store and show their identification like a drivers license. The gun stores call in to the State Police that moment.

I just bought two guns this week, and they don't even ask for my permit, just my license, then they make the call.

Seems that many spouse to spouse type murders where a gun would be handy happen in a house. And no permit is needed here for keeping a loaded gun in a house.

I don't believe any of our cities have ordinances restricting in-hom guns.

But I was curious about the CA laws.

Thanks.

I'm new here - a visitor to the forum, and my avatar and sig. are not displaying yet, so I am:

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com

mdvaden said:
Do you folks know the actual way things work in California - anybody?

I noticed the woman getting killed example.

In Oregon, at least, you need a permit to carry concealed, but not in the home. We have the insta-check law here.

That means that my wife or my dad who have no permit, can go to the gun store and show their identification like a drivers license. The gun stores call in to the State Police that moment.

I just bought two guns this week, and they don't even ask for my permit, just my license, then they make the call.

Seems that many spouse to spouse type murders where a gun would be handy happen in a house. And no permit is needed here for keeping a loaded gun in a house.

I don't believe any of our cities have ordinances restricting in-hom guns.

But I was curious about the CA laws.

Thanks.

I'm new here - a visitor to the forum, and my avatar and sig. are not displaying yet, so I am:

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com

In a word, Yes. I use to live and work in the Peoples Replik of Kalifornia for about 20 years and yes it is easier to pull hen's teeth than to get a CCW in that state, but I did, although my job required it and NO I'm not an LEO.

SFC

Do you really use to carry guns with you when outside, shopping etc? :shock:

Ok, maybe it is necessary since all bastards have their own ones.

godofthunder9010 said:
Interesting true story about the People's Republik of Kalifornia:

A woman gets divorced. Her husband threatens to kill her so she applies to the State of California for a permit to purchase and carry a gun. Four weeks later (as per California State Law apparently) her permit was approved. Problem was, her ex-husband had already killed her ...
:stupid:

wow. they'd BOTH BE ALIVE if you guys had sensible gun laws like the commonwealth does

Oh no! When I move to California what happens to my pistol since they won't give me a CCW!?! Can I still have my handgun in my apt? How about my car?

:cries:

"wow. they'd BOTH BE ALIVE if you guys had sensible gun laws like the commonwealth does"

You can ban all legal weapons but Ronnie Robber and Mark Mother****er will still have their own ones. Weapon ban bans weapons only from common people.

Is Assault Weapon Ban still present in US?

Before the stupid anti-gun lobby in SA came into power, I was able to carry my .45 concealed or in the open. Anywhere! On more than one occasion - 4 to be precise, I had to use it in public to defend myself or my property. Only once did I fire a shot - the rest of the time I just pulled it and knife weilder settled down quite nicely - mostly because everyone ins South Africa carries 9mm or smaller - a .45 looks like a damn cannon over there.
The south african black market and criminal underground is filled to the brim with AK's and the like. The crrent law in SA calls for massive amounts of training, a safe at home (and inspection of said safe by police after it was installed) and a HUGE fee to be paid before a license is issue. Problem is that there are only 4 licensed training centers in the country where you can get the training needed, there is a mssive shortage of policemen to inspect the safes being installed and only 2 people working the applications...so far only 5% of all licenses had been approved (when I last checked). Most of the approved applicants had criminal records! Things starting to make sense, right? More recently, this went down:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20050116100804623C397846

"Before the stupid anti-gun lobby in SA came into power, I was able to carry my .45 concealed or in the open. Anywhere!"

After apartheid ended things have been totally messed in SA. Something has gone wrong very badly if people have to carry guns in the open to provide their security.

We don't have any weapon bans and a bit over 5 million people own 2.5 million legal weapons wich is compared to population the second after USA. However no-one carrys guns and the most of murders and other kills have been maken by knives, axes or something else but not by fire weapons.

chewie_nz said:
godofthunder9010 said:
Interesting true story about the People's Republik of Kalifornia:

A woman gets divorced. Her husband threatens to kill her so she applies to the State of California for a permit to purchase and carry a gun. Four weeks later (as per California State Law apparently) her permit was approved. Problem was, her ex-husband had already killed her ...
:stupid:

wow. they'd BOTH BE ALIVE if you guys had sensible gun laws like the commonwealth does

Where does it say that a firearm was used in the homicide? The point that is being missed by alot of citizens of countries with more restrictive gun laws is criminals will always have guns legal or otherwise.

EuroSpike said:
"Before the stupid anti-gun lobby in SA came into power, I was able to carry my .45 concealed or in the open. Anywhere!"

After apartheid ended things have been totally messed in SA. Something has gone wrong very badly if people have to carry guns in the open to provide their security.

We don't have any weapon bans and a bit over 5 million people own 2.5 million legal weapons wich is compared to population the second after USA. However no-one carrys guns and the most of murders and other kills have been maken by knives, axes or something else but not by fire weapons.

Are you South African as well, Eurospike?
Yes, many of the crimes committed in the townships are with knives and axes, but in most of the confrontations I've had (ALL of them after 1994 for some reason), a gun was present. The one time I fired on someone, I had time to think about it. I could see a clip that looked a whole lot like an AK or Galil clip in the siloutte (it was at night with good moon), so I took a low shot and wounded one guy in the leg - both ran - or hobbled- off. Other than that, most crims tend to back off when they see you are armed - especially if you carry the weapon with authority ie. When I walk down a street in downtown Pretoria and notice someone that may possibly pose a threat to me (can usually see by behaviour, looks and clothing), I look them directly in the eye. Most folks tend to look down and avoid contact and thus, possible conflict, but I have found that if you walk upright and look everyone in the eye, you convey a sense of alertness. Match this with a cocked and locked .45 and it makes for an imposing figure. I ain't a little guy either.
Most of the minority Afrikaners have seen some form of combat - either in the streets or in Angola. I'm too young to have been in Angola, but it is sad that I have had to go through survival/ fight or flight situations in my own friggin back yard!
You are right, the end of Apartheid brought freedom to a lot of folks, but it also brought chaos and a low level genocide - along with those stupid gun laws. One aspect of the old South african gun laws that I liked was the ammo control. When you bought a weapon and thus a license, you were only allowed to purchase ammo for that weapon! So, since I had a .45, I could ONLY purchase .45 ammo and the dealer had to report to the local police who he sold the ammo to. There was no limit, but I could only purchase ammo for the guns I owned. I HAD to show license and a photocopy had to be made...nice system that wasn't very unfair at all.

"Are you South African as well, Eurospike?"

No but i have lived there a couple of years in 80s near Durban. During apartheid i felt SA quite safe if doors were kept locked and dog awared. I found an abandoned schaeffer dog wich somewhy was aggressive only for black people. It was a good doggy and i liked her a lot.

"The one time I fired on someone, I had time to think about it. I could see a clip that looked a whole lot like an AK or Galil clip in the siloutte (it was at night with good moon), so I took a low shot and wounded one guy in the leg - both ran - or hobbled- off."

It seems you got a total war on the streets and let me guess, attackers weren't white men? Not good in long run since sometime may the bullet hit own head.

"When you bought a weapon and thus a license, you were only allowed to purchase ammo for that weapon! So, since I had a .45, I could ONLY purchase .45 ammo and the dealer had to report to the local police who he sold the ammo to. There was no limit, but I could only purchase ammo for the guns I owned. I HAD to show license and a photocopy had to be made..."

The same thing here. Ammunition is sold only for the licence card but ammo can be afforded as much as ever wanted. But what to do with ammo if don't have a gun for them?

"The same thing here. Ammunition is sold only for the licence card but ammo can be afforded as much as ever wanted. But what to do with ammo if don't have a gun for them?"

Use it to hold up a liquor store with your illegal AK-47.

Big_Z said:
"The same thing here. Ammunition is sold only for the licence card but ammo can be afforded as much as ever wanted. But what to do with ammo if don't have a gun for them?"

Yes but then you have an illegal but a gun. I agree with ammunition purchase control. Wouldn't like to get robbed, killed and raped by products purchased from local sport store and used in illegal gun.

Big_Z said:

LOL ya that's about it.

Eurospike, yes, it is almost complete war. I've buried around 5 friends and family since 1998. Not a nice feeling to clean up a house where a friend was killed...especially if there is still blood lying about.
You are right - just about the only way to survive out there is to keep a BIG dog and gun - and be alert!
That's pretty much why I moved my family outta there...my wife is American - she saw someone get shot and said- we are leaving...we were on a plane the next day! hahahah
Ammo control is about the best thing I've seen. I could buy almost any weapon I wanted - but the ammo was strictly controlled. You would get the same fine and jail time if you were caught with ammo you didn't have a license for as if youhad an illegal weapon.

In Vermont we are allowed to have a pistol as long as it _is_ concealed. They prefer the idea that the public wouldn't be alarmed to see it in the open. I carry an M1911A1 that's had pro sights and Pacmar gripes added to it as well as having the lower receiver group replaced by Essex Iron Works in Island Pond. Almost no kick back and I hit what I'm aiming at first shot.

"Eurospike, yes, it is almost complete war. I've buried around 5 friends and family since 1998. Not a nice feeling to clean up a house where a friend was killed...especially if there is still blood lying about."

I'm sorry for that. Bad situation and something has gone very wrong if need to carry gun at home.

I'm glad to not have any reasons or threats to carry guns at home. I can go to mall do my shoppings without any risks to get shot.

That's a nice piece, Charge 7!

Eurospike, I moved to America and I live in one of the most violent cities in the country (Atlanta) yet, I feel 100% safe! It is real freedom - being able to go to the mall and not having to do a perimiter check when loading your bags into the car! hahahhaha

My government allows me to keep my three semi-automatic shotguns but has decided im not responsible enough(nor anyone else) to keep one pistol for target shooting.Even a .22 Sheer madness!

Back