Caring to Much / Not Caring Enough

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
Jim Brown - OneNewsNow
4/16/2008 6:00:00 AM

Rob Schenck, the head of the conservative National Clergy Council, says one of presidential candidate John McCain's biggest weaknesses is his discomfort talking about his personal faith.

When reporters asked Senator McCain (R-Arizona) in September about his faith he replied, "The most important thing is I'm a Christian," but added that he "won't have anything more to say about that." McCain was raised an Episcopalian, and attends North Phoenix Baptist Church -- which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.

Pastor Rob Schenck of the National Clergy Council says not much is known about McCain's personal faith, except that he was raised in a family that believed religion was to be kept private. But Schenck contends that does not comport with the beliefs, customs and practices of evangelicals.

"We live with a mandate to preach the gospel, to unashamedly testify what Christ has done in our lives, to generously share that information with others," says Schenck. "... And John McCain has yet to give that kind of public testimony, and it's undermining the confidence of evangelicals in John McCain."

Schenck believes McCain's reluctance to talk more in-depth about his faith is not a good thing for him, his support base, or the country.

I was quite annoyed and flabbergasted that this is even being brought up to this extreme. I personally feel that this country should be lead by a leader who is Christian, but I certainly don't think they should run around pinning their beliefs on their sleeve if it makes them uncomfortable.

I don't understand how this "reluctance to talk" about his personal faith will hurt him voting wise. Much of this country doesn't care at all about a person's personal faith and some seem to care to much. If anything I would think being more subtle about one's personal beliefs in Christianity would be more appropriate in a commanding position.

(That is regardless of trying to win votes, or being President, the President should -I believe- have a strong personal faith in Christianity, but it's not his job to preach to the country).

A personal faith is personal. He does not need to talk about it to the public. The church just wants his talk so they get some kind of indirect endorsement and use it as some damn propaganda to expand their membership.
Screw what the church says.

I guess I agree with Redneck in that he should say as much or as little as he wishes; it is his business, between himself and his God.

We just had a guy appointed as Lib-Dem leader by their vote, who on his first day after that, annuonced that he was an atheist, without any prompting whatsoever. Why, nobody asked him? Oh - alright then, in that case we love you/hate you more; it's bad enough/good enough that you are a Lib-Dem. He may be an atheist, but that doesn't mean he ain't a pratt.

A personal faith is personal. He does not need to talk about it to the public. The church just wants his talk so they get some kind of indirect endorsement and use it as some damn propaganda to expand their membership.
Screw what the church says.
Well said, i wish American Govt class talked about this kinda stuff instead of old stuff.

Back