Care Packages for Soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

I am thinking about putting together a drive to receive donations. I want to put together care packages for soldiers that are serving over seas in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I would like some help from all of the members of the military on this site... What are stuff that you would want if you were stationed there? What do the soldiers need that would benefit them a great deal.

all ideas will be accepted an greatly appreciated. I really want this idea to go through but i need some help.

I can think of stuff i would like:

Magazines
stationary
cards
candy
movies
coffee from their fav. coffee house
newspapers from hometown
games
being a female i would love getting girly stuff(lotions, creamsetc etc) i was in Bosnia for 6 months and loved getting care packages, good for you for doing this ;)

GUNNER

GUNNER

Thank you i am going to start a list. I am stil in High school. am i am going to try and stsrt this as just a school wide thing. I worked in city hall as an intern over the summer so i have contact with my city's mayor. I am going to try to talk to him and try and make it a city wide drive. i still have to contact the red cros to see what i can and can't donate and see if they will ship what ever i receive for me...

Foods are always welcome. Things like Beefaroni, canned ravioli, canned spaghetti and meatballs etc.. Also granola bars, trail mix, canned nuts, and oh yeah a can opener. Almost any canned foods are appreciated.
Other needed things are foot powders, combs, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo and things like that are usually in short supply.
Batteries with maglite flashlights, and insect spray (pump bottles), and pens and pencils with crossword books would be good too. A nice pair of sunglasses would be certainly put to good use. I hope that helps.

Thank you for the help. every idea is greatly appreciated. I love some of the items that were allready listed. you have been of great help.

Re: Care Packages for Soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanist

My brother-in-law was in Iraq at the Baghdad airport and we sent over shipments of rice krispie treats (along with other goodies) and messages from friends and family to show our support. We continue to do the same for my brother who is in Afghanistan.

i don't even know how it is over there so i have no idea... I have never even been out of California... well except for that one time i went to Nevada...

sorry munitionsairman(appropriat name though) all i can give you is a hearty good luck, and happy trails, Im broke

Take it like this,you are a soldier no mather where all the base camps are the same when you are away from home,so your sitting on the sun(rain/snow)and thinking 'boy,i would like to get some ------- to entertain my self' now what would that be? :lol: [/u]

When sending anything overseas, you might want to find a local unit that is deployed since the military is putting a hal;t to the "to any soldier" donations. Also chocolate or anything else that will melt is a bad idea. If I was over there, even Ramen noodles would hit the spot. You can get plenty of Ramen noodles for little to nothing. You dont have to buy new magazines. I'd be content with something that simply says "America" and I could feel like Im home. Local newspapers, sunblock, notepads, pens, sunglasses are also some things that would come in handy and that are inexpensive. A care package we got once had someone who had a funny sense of humor. lol Someone sent a childs play kit with bucket and shovel for sand castles. Decks of cards were in it, but best of all these things were letters from high school kids simply saying what a great job the soldiers are doing over there and how proud they are of them. Some have included email addresses in their letters for email conversations. Candy is a good thing, but there are some things that could help more. Great job on the project and good luck. oh...also, verizon and 7/11 have teamed up and are giving soldiers free 30 minute phone cards. Beginning of this month on my way to Ft Bragg we recieved 4 30 minute cards. We were only gone a week. Be sure and thank verizon and 7/11 also. :)

When sending anything overseas, you might want to find a local unit that is deployed since the military is putting a hal;t to the "to any soldier" donations. Also chocolate or anything else that will melt is a bad idea. If I was over there, even Ramen noodles would hit the spot. You can get plenty of Ramen noodles for little to nothing. You dont have to buy new magazines. I'd be content with something that simply says "America" and I could feel like Im home. Local newspapers, sunblock, notepads, pens, sunglasses are also some things that would come in handy and that are inexpensive. A care package we got once had someone who had a funny sense of humor. lol Someone sent a childs play kit with bucket and shovel for sand castles. Decks of cards were in it, but best of all these things were letters from high school kids simply saying what a great job the soldiers are doing over there and how proud they are of them. Some have included email addresses in their letters for email conversations. Candy is a good thing, but there are some things that could help more. Great job on the project and good luck. oh...also, verizon and 7/11 have teamed up and are giving soldiers free 30 minute phone cards. Beginning of this month on my way to Ft Bragg we recieved 4 30 minute cards. We were only gone a week. Be sure and thank verizon and 7/11 also.
he's right you need to watch 'bout that stuff

I talked to the American Red Cross, and they said because of the high terror alert, they are not allowing any care packages to be shipped at the current time. I talked to my recruiter about it and he gave me the number to Travis Air Force Base. They told me they would call me back, but it never happened... So my idea came to a halt.

Back