Caparsion Horse for Regan

bonnieblue716

Who can name the Caparsion horse used in Ronald Regan's state funeral?
Extra points if you can name his breed, his barn name, and his registered name.
Also there was a change from the offical tack for this funeral, what was it?

What was the name of the last Army issued horse. In other words a horse bred by the Army for a specific mission.

What is the story behind the tradion of the Caparsion or Riderless Horse?

Which part of the US Army is refered to as the Old Guard, what is their mission, and where are they based.

Ok the first three are super hard, if your not into horses. But the last two should be pretty darn easy, anyone could find the answers online.

Don't know...cool procession though...as much fun as standing in 90 degree weather in dress uniform for 3 hours is... :rambo:

Old Gaurd, 3rd Infantry Reg., the horse symbolizes a fallen leader does it not? 3rd gaurd is based In DC, Gaurds the Tomb of the Unknow Soldier at Arlington and participates In State Funerals. IIRC they were also deployed to Dijbouti for a awhile last year. Thats all from memory too :D

Yes Sir, your right. The 3rd US Infantry is based out of Ft. Myer, in Arlington, VA. The story of leading the horse behind the caisson, comes from the time when the calvary officer's horse, was HIS horse. They were so well trained, that usually only it's owner could ride it, so the horse was taken to be buried with it's owner. The boot that is reversed in the saddle symbolizes the leader looking back on his troops one last time, and also that, he'll never ride again. One interesting note is that only colonel's and above in the US Army are authorized to have a Caparsion horse. I think anyone buried at Arlington can have the caisson procession, but the actual riderless horse, is reserved for high ranking officer's, president's and extremely distingusted citizens. Still looking for Regan's horse's name, and what was different about the tack they used. Great job for Guy on the rigth though. HOOAH!!!!

I think the difference in the usual tack used was one of President Reagan's cowboy boots instead of a cavalry boot.

yes that's right, instead of using the tradtional black calavary boot, that they use for each cermony. They used one of Regan's boots that he rode in. It was a pretty major difference since his boots where brown instead of black, and the strap that holds the boot in the striup in a reversed postion had to be modified. The boot was later retured to the Regan family. Still looking for the horse's name. Also the last army issued horse. One the one about the last army issue horse you're going to be kicking your self. He was the most beloved riderless horse in our Nation's history. You guys are good though, I can't really fool you. I thought for sure, you wouldn't know some of this stuff. Y'all proven me wrong.

I know the commentator said that he was a retired sulky racer and his name is Sergeant York. I don't know what his civilian name was. I think I heard them talking about it but I missed it.

yes your right again. Sgt. York was the caparsioned horse for Regan. His barn name (what the soliders call him) is Yorkie. He is a standardbred, which is the type of horse used in trotting and pacing races. His offical registered name was All Aboard Jewels. The only way to really know that is to have seen the story done on him on animal planet, or to actually be an officer in the cassion platoon. I don't figure we have any of those. The cassion soldiers stay busy 24/7. I got that from Animal Planet. Though Sgt. York is the most experience cap. horse, he supposedly has some bad habits which the cap. walkers (the soldier who leads the horse) don't like. So now the units primary cap. horse is Omar. He actually started missions the week after the Regan funeral, and many of the soldiers felt he probably would have done a better job than Yorkie with the Regan funeral. The unit had just gotten him, and hadn't had time to do spook testing and primary training with him. If he would gotten his mission certification a little sooner they would have used Omar, instead of Yorkie. Good Job Missler, you know your stuff. I bet you spent a lot of time watching the coverage of the Regan funeral, probably a lot more than I did. Keep up the good work.

Back