CAP sqdn difficulties

40's Timmons

Im a C/SMSGT from The CAP's PA wing. I've been in CAP for over 2 years, and I enjoy being in. But, theres a problem. My squadron has been having problems. 2-3 other cadets and myself are beginning to think about transferring to another squad near by, but Im not sure if its the right thing to do. If you look on this forum, please tell me how your squadron is run. At my squadron, the cadet staff has no control over what goes on. Even the CC has no say as to what the cadets can do. Our senior members have complete control over what goes on through the entire squadron. I just want to know if this is normal. Is it??? :?:

That's not normal, but sadly not uncommon. The senior members are supposed to let the Cadet Staff run the cadet part of the squadron only stepping in when they need to. Like at my squadron.

i agree our sq is run by the CC with our DCC running the seniors just telling us what week it is (ie. PT-AE-ES)

What is it with PA Wing Sq.'s? No it is not normal, and yes I think it would be wise to transfer because you cannot win a battle against Seniors, even if they are wrong. (Believe me, I tried multiple times)

Really it all depends. Maybe someone needs to sit down with the Senior Members to see what can be worked out to get a better balance of control. When I took over command, my Senior Members did everything because i was completely lost. Slowly, I gained more control of things and finally assumed most of the command duties.

It might be that the Senior Members think that they are doing you a favor traking over command so that it is less work.

Other then that, I don't know what to say. I can't see any Senior Members being completely set on having complete control as they lead busy lives also, so a little bargaining and discussing what everybody is willing to do for the goals of the common people is probably the best place to start. If you cadet commander has any problems or would like some advice personally, go ahead and tell them to IM me.

I sorta like some of the people in PAWG. Wait, they aren't there anymore, scratch that :p (just kidding, it is a great wing)

thanks

thanks for the input. Its been like this for a little over a year now. Our CC doesnt wanna stay cuz she's had to put up with the seniors. The worst thing so far was a month ago. They took ALL the cadet staff (myself included), and replaced us with inexperienced airman and SSGT's.
They removed the position of CC and put a chief in the highest position of 1st sgt. Then, they put the old CC and DC who are both 2nd LT's and put them as Flight commanders. The only other staff positions are Element leaders, and they put airman in those positions.
That was the last straw for us, but I still am not sure its the right thing to just pack up and leave my other friends behind.

Re: thanks

40's Timmons said:
thanks for the input. Its been like this for a little over a year now. Our CC doesnt wanna stay cuz she's had to put up with the seniors. The worst thing so far was a month ago. They took ALL the cadet staff (myself included), and replaced us with inexperienced airman and SSGT's.
They removed the position of CC and put a chief in the highest position of 1st sgt. Then, they put the old CC and DC who are both 2nd LT's and put them as Flight commanders. The only other staff positions are Element leaders, and they put airman in those positions.
That was the last straw for us, but I still am not sure its the right thing to just pack up and leave my other friends behind.

While that is a common thing to do with an inexperienced squadron, it doesn't seem like you had that problem. Yeah, I would stay, but please, please talk to the SMs. Be persistent. Also, stay for the little guys who are now probably scared as crap (tho they may not show it) because they just got these positions dumped on them.

Crazy,
We have been trying to get things running smoothly for almost a year straight. The Sm staff are not listening cuz theyre the cause. Our CC has tried to get through to them, and had a new staff roster and everything to get the squad going straight. The SM's ignored it, and put in a lazy duface as 1st sgt, and put relatively inexperienced people in any other positions. The cadets who havent been on staff, or are just lower in rank have no idea anything is wrong. Ironically, we havent had 10 cadets at the meetings since the staff change. Maybe its just because its summer, or they know that some of the former upper staff are leaving or left. THIS IS :cen:

40's Timmons said:
Crazy,
We have been trying to get things running smoothly for almost a year straight. The Sm staff are not listening cuz theyre the cause. Our CC has tried to get through to them, and had a new staff roster and everything to get the squad going straight. The SM's ignored it, and put in a lazy duface as 1st sgt, and put relatively inexperienced people in any other positions. The cadets who havent been on staff, or are just lower in rank have no idea anything is wrong. Ironically, we havent had 10 cadets at the meetings since the staff change. Maybe its just because its summer, or they know that some of the former upper staff are leaving or left. THIS IS :cen:

*change of hearT?* I suggest you wait until it fills at least 2 pages before you get this attitude. ~Crazy

He mentioned going to the group commander.

40's Timmons said:
Crazy,

Whoa, now calm down cowboy. No name calling, please.

While you are deciding where you belong in this program, why don't you take that time to teach the younger cadets. They are lazy and can't do the job because they don't know how to do the job. Maybe it's all the SMs and they want to keep things under their control... you gotta roll with the punches.

Like the person above me said, you need to get someone higher then your SMs to possibly have a meeting with you and the remaining of the old staff to see what is going on. No accusations before proof, alright? That kinda stuff gets you crapped on.

I agree with what crazy said. Teach the inexperienced cadets on what to do first. That's your duty when you've been in a position and now have been removed. Teach those who are not learned in a position. Not only will you earn their respect but you will also earn the respect of those around you. Then after a while and it still does not work then go up to a higher authority, speak with them, and try to work something out. I think that the first thing that needs to be taught in school should be, "Do something because you see it needs to be done." Facta non verba: Deeds not words.

Cadet Chief Robot said:
Facta non verba: Deeds not words.

That's my squadron motto.

Along with something like: "Fly through life as a Golden Eagle. There is no need for someone to cling to, for you are the foundation for others." Yeah, I didn't make it up, some pastor told me that when she found out that I was in Golden Eagle Composite Squadron and that's where she used to be.

you guys are right. My one friend who is completely bent on leaving just keeps getting negative about the squadron, but thats his problem. I'll try my best to teach the cadets the skills they need to possibly salvage this squad. Some of the things going on over here are plain nuts, we can solve what we can. I appreciate your input, thanks.

40's Timmons said:
you guys are right. My one friend who is completely bent on leaving just keeps getting negative about the squadron, but thats his problem. I'll try my best to teach the cadets the skills they need to possibly salvage this squad. Some of the things going on over here are plain nuts, we can solve what we can. I appreciate your input, thanks.

I must say, I am very impressed with your attitude. Please let us know if we can help you with anything about the positions, or let me know if any of the cadets need some... uh, wall to wall counseling... the semi-legal way. :p You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, and pretty patient at that, so just keep it up. :D

40's Timmons said:
I'll try my best to teach the cadets the skills they need to possibly salvage this squad. Some of the things going on over here are plain nuts, we can solve what we can.
That's the attitude :D. Good luck with your squadron. Also remember that your squadron may seem to be sinking deeper and deeper as things are changed for the best. If that happens just roll with the punches. A good read for situations like these would be Steal My Soldier's Hearts.

How are things going? Just thought I would check in on ya! If you need anybody to tell all those "I can't believe they did this" stories that are just plain embarrassing - then I am your girl. I'll even trade with you lol. I know how it is, and sometimes it just helps to get it out.

well, our old CC got back from the army, and he's basically taken control of the show, but he insists that he's not trying to be on staff. Things have mellowed out, but nothings REALLY changed. There may be a big change coming, but I cant talk about it. All i can say is that things may definantly change! thanks for your concern.

cya later

youngCAPcadet said:
Do they have regular staff meetings? you can mention something to your CC, and your CC can mention it in the meeting.

Will you bea little more quote specific? Errrr, he can mention what to his, I'm guessing Squadron Commander? No he shouldn't... Going to SMs to talk to them about how they just screwed you over is little different then talking to your squadron commander about... still unknown subject.

It sounds like things have settled down a bit for a little while, so it's time to start obeying the already set rules and beginning to roll with the punches again. It's a great tactic, and you will seriously be suprised what you learn from it.

Agreed with Crazy.
All you can do is the best you can for those looking up to you. My sqd Started with that problem when there got to be soooo many more SM's then Cadets that they were getting basicaly bored and jerking with us cuz they could. That was solved by them making a SM squadron. You've just kinda gotta role with it though, AND kindly push things to get done. Don't dis the SM's infront of or to the other cadets (Believe me, makes things worse) I've been through a squadron dismantling and being forced to transfer, because of an SM started saying really mean stuff discouraging a cadet and a parent got mad, and it is really hard cause it was something simple a SM shouldn't have done. So good job and good luck! I hope it all works out for you!
Let us know

Back