CAP or Seacadets

I want to become a pararescueman. What would help more the seacadets or civil air patrol?

If your goal is to become a PJ then I recommend CAP. Next PJOC that's going on make sure you get on it, later you can attend APJOC. Great courses and you'll learn a lot from PJs, CCTs and we even let the SERE dudes come and play. There's a lot of opportunities in CAP to get some good training in rescue and a lot of times you can learn it from PJs.

Neither are going to help you become a PJ though. Just that CAP will give you some opportunities that involve rescue. The only thing that will help you become a PJ is excellent physical fitness, intellect and the ability to push through even when you want to quit. If you prepare yourself and you want it bad enough? You can definitely obtain it.

I want to become a pararescueman. What would help more the seacadets or civil air patrol?

CAP has Para-rescue training, but as a Sea Cadet (and former CAP cadet) I think that CAP cadets are given too much rank/ribbons, they don't do much work for what they earn and often abuse their rank...for instance, I quit when I was told that I'd be taking orders from a 12 year old C/Airman when I'd be a 14 year old C/Airman Basic (recruit). Sea Cadets has SEALs, SWCC, EOD, and JSOC training and being a Sea Cadet puts you in your place. Of course the quality of discipline and responsibility within the unit depend on the unit (as in CAP), but I'm a proud Sea Cadet.
I'f you'd like more information about either program send me a personal message.

SeaCadet5, Agreed as a former TSgt with 5 ribbion racks within 1 year.... To easy i got one for promotion to SSgt... CAP is a feel good about yourself JROTC Program i reccomend NSCC And dont waste your time.

I'm late to the party, but:

SeaCadet5 obviously doesn't understand how being a cadet works. Or the military. Do you think a 34 year old Captain complains about having to take orders from a 32 year old Major?

Either way, you wouldn't be taking orders from a C/Amn, as that cadet is in the learning stage just like the C/AB. That said, the C/Amn is already progressing in the program and has a rudimentary knowledge, while a C/AB is a new member with no experience. Age is a non-factor.

While I think most people agree that cadets get too many ribbons in Phases I and II, I don't think it's all that excessive, nor "given" out. It takes at least two months between promotions. The whole program takes 3 years and 2 months MINIMUM to complete.

It took me 3 years to make it to C/2d Lt. Another year from there to get to C/Captain. I enjoyed it the whole way up, and only disengaged due to college. I'm thinking what I had to do for my promotions was no easier than what Sea Cadets have to do. In fact, I know it's not, because I knew plenty of Sea Cadets.

Boopro, what do you mean by "as a former TSgt with 5 ribbion racks within 1 year...."

Do you mean 5 rows? Mind listing off the ribbons you earned? You know, the 10 outside the promotion ribbons? No? Didn't think so.

"To easy i got one for promotion to SSgt..."

You also got one for C/Amn, C/A1C, C/SrA and C/TSgt. The difference is, the C/SSgt grade and ribbon signify the completion of phase one, and is an award with a certificate.

"CAP is a feel good about yourself "

All cadet programs should be. That's the point.

If anyone has any questions regarding CAP as a cadet, feel free to send me a PM or email me.

I've been on both sides of the house - cadet and senior member.

Woops

Someone got on my account,

I was a former CAP A1C, I lost intrest in the USAF and went USNSCC, I am currently a E-3 with the Serv. Award, NLCC Serv Award (Bronse Boot), Fitness Award (''E'' with a Bronse Star), and the Recruting Award.

I reccomend both programs and both are good to a standard, I respect CAP, And NSCC Members and their ranks are well earned.

Seaman,
Leahy

between CAP and NSCC I would have to recommend NSCC..not to bag on CAP but NSCC just seemed alot more preferable to my standards especially the realistic training they give. above all..I would go with Young Marines though.

Sea Cadets

From what I've heard, it does seem to be quite a bit easier to get promoted in CAP. In the Sea Cadets, each rank has a separate required amount in grade in order to be eligible for promotion. You must also have completed POLA (Petty Officer Leadership Academy) in order to get to PO2, and must have done other advanced trainings to get promoted from there. The maximum rank you can get is a Chief Petty Officer, which is an E7. In addition to this, in order to get promoted to E2 you must complete BMR (Basic Military Requirements) which is around 720 pages and complete boot camp, which lasts 2 weeks. We also do not receive ribbons for simply being promoted. However, we do get ribbons for time in service (the program) and others.

Back