I can't decide... Marines or Para?

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
I can't decide... Marines or Para?
Marines are individually better in Korea but I hate swimming (though I'm decent at the long distance swims) and can't stand boats... On the other hand I like helicopters and the idea of riding and jumping out of an airplane doesn't bother me (I've sat in a plane so many times.... maybe 50 times by now...).

If you hate swimmin, go somewhere other than The Corps. That is why they are The Marines, - amphibious.

Agree with Sooner go Airborne. As a Marine you'll be around boats and water as part of your mission.

But he likes jumping from helos, go in the Corps and you can get the best of both worlds as you helicast with your recon unit into some muddy estuary in some backwater country you have never heard of.... :lol: :shock: :lol:

Honestly, if you don't like water, don't join the Marines.

EuroSpike said:
Are paratroopers in US somekind special forces or are their role only to be a rapid deployment force?

The US Army has a full division the 82nd Airborne. They are a light infantry RDF. Plus they have alot of Airborne qualified personel in non jump units. So while Paratroopers of the 82nd are elite they aren't really the Spec Op's version of Special Forces.

Hey the_13th_redneck, I highly recommend jumping out of a plane before you join the military, so you can see how you like it. I did a static line a few months ago, and it was the greatest experience of my life (so far.) I too, want to join the Paratroopers.

03USMC said:
EuroSpike said:
Are paratroopers in US somekind special forces or are their role only to be a rapid deployment force?

The US Army has a full division the 82nd Airborne. They are a light infantry RDF. Plus they have alot of Airborne qualified personel in non jump units. So while Paratroopers of the 82nd are elite they aren't really the Spec Op's version of Special Forces.

Non jumping paratrooper? How are they moved in? By helicopters or transport planes after enemy airfield has been taken, like as reinforcements after the first wave? Or do they still use gliders in landing? How fast can an airborne division be deployed to enemy territory and how long it could be able to fight alone, like in market garden and how are they resupplied?

What kind of special requirements, physical or mental (compared to regular infantry requirements) is there to get into an airborne unit, and what is the difference in training and quality between airborne and regular infantry if para jump trainings aren't count?

EuroSpike said:
03USMC said:
EuroSpike said:

Non jumping paratrooper? How are they moved in? By helicopters or transport planes after enemy airfield has been taken, like as reinforcements after the first wave? Or do they still use gliders in landing? How fast can an airborne division be deployed to enemy territory and how long it could be able to fight alone, like in market garden and how are they resupplied?

kind of special requirements, physical or mental (compared to regular infantry requirements) is there to get into an airborne unit, and what is the difference in training and quality between airborne and regular infantry if para jump trainings aren't count?

The Army sends many soliders to Jump school all may not be assigned to
Jumping Unit like those in 18th Airborne Corps of which the 82nd is part. While they are Airborne Qaulified they are not considered Paratroopers unless they are assigned to a jumping unit. The 82nd or one of the seperate BN's.

Have you also considered the qualifications and prerequisites for Airborne? What do you have so far?

Go and be a paratrooper and become part of the "Brotherhood"

I might be a bit one sided as I have been a paratrooper for 18 years.

So go on.

Back