Canooed the Peace River in FL - 56k DEATH - lots o pics

--
Boots

March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Topic: Canooed the Peace River in FL - 56k DEATH - lots o pics

Hey folks!

I got stuck in Florida for a few extra days - the Airline (US Airways) had to change my flight TWICE. They kept booking me on a flight where my bags would not connect at my layover, which is a no-no because I was traveling with a firearm. As a responsible gun owner, I'll not have my .45 floating all over the place until the airline finally returns it to me.

So my flight Saturday was changed to Monday. My wife and I went canoing on Sunday. It was magnificent! Nice and hot, slight breeze, beautiful scenery (and especially Laurie), but no Gators (airboat jumped in front of us and likely scared them all off). It was a perfect day. I haven't had such a day in a very, very long time - and never have I ever felt this way about a woman as I do Laurie. It was just... God surrounding us.

We parked downstream and rented the canoe, they took us 10 miles upstream, but the river was so low that it took us SIX HOURS to traverse the stretch. We floated most of it, and we did some stops, but for the most part we just let the current take us.

We were both sunburned to a CRISP - and I still am!

Saw lots of fish and lots of birds, talked, stopped on some beaches to sunbathe and hunt fossils (river is famous for its fossils), and just had the greatest of days. We will definitely be doing this again!

So, following this post, are a LOT of pictures I snapped (and some of Laurie's). I know it's long, but I want y'all to experience it as I did. I have captioned each picture above it where needed, so read what the picture is about if you'd like.

Stay tuned while I get the next series of posts fired up!

Love you guys and gals,

Richard
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Heading out. I quickly lost the boots! Like I said, it was HOT (80's) and I was in jeans and boots. But here's some scenery. Magnificent scenery, even if my photography leaves much to be desired.

Big, old Cypress tree. The Tanic acid from these trees is what makes the water brownish in color:

Sand Cranes watching us watch them:

(more in next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Turtles! Mmmmm, soup! heh.

More scenery:

(more next post - gets much more interesting)
--
Boots
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Then we stopped at a small rock cropping, beached, and she hunted fossils while I had a beer.

Be VERY glad I put my shirt back on for this picture! LOL! I'd blind the form, heh.

Me just chillin in the sun watching my wife find fossils:

And here is what she found. These are ribs and vertebrae of the ancestor to the Manatee or Stingray, and they are easily distinguishable from the surrounding rock. They are heavier, much different texture, and they have pockets where the calcium ate through.

I've never found a dinosaur fossil before, so that was really neat:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Other fossils found there before. I put my hand there just to give an idea of the size. I had no idea Sloths were that large (that's just ONE claw) and that Megalodon tooth floored me. Wish we'd have found something that cool:

Yes, this is a TOOTH:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

So we changed ends (of the CANOE, get yer minds out of the gutter, LOL) and I steered for a bit.

We found this really neat beach where we stopped for a potty break, beer, and to sit in the sun a bit more:

My incredibly beautiful wife, Laurie:

Then we left there and paddled for a bit, so a bit more scenery:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

After a bit, lookee what we found! Another beach! Well, you guessed it: Beer break!

We followed that little sandy trail, and there was a really cool, private, secluded picnic area at the top:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

After a bit, we headed out again.

Notice how tanic-tainted the river got in some shallow spots:

Great Blue Herron:

HUGE Cypress:

Cool palm tree dropped years ago by Hurricane Charlie:

I just thought this was a neat picture:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Sadly, we reached the Rail Road tresses that meant the trip was almost over. We beached again to get dressed and just sit for a few - and BEER BREAK! By this time, we were both burnt to a crisp and ready to head out for some food:

(more next post)
March 9th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Canoe, anyone?

And one leashed big ol lizard!

Neat old Rail Road station in Arcadia:

And, finally, just for grins, these are what I work on: 50kv Lines that feed the 600V transformers that feed the 240 to your home:

Hope you enjoyed the post!