Canadian Reserve Officers

Trevor

Does anyone know the requirements to become an regular officer (not CIC) in the Canadian Forces Reserves? Do you still have to do basic training as a private? Is it the same as becoming a CIC officer?

Being a Reg Force Officer, I think I can sort of help you out with this one.

First of all, you'll need to go to your local CFRC (Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre) and apply for the Reserve Force as an Officer. I'm pretty sure that the application process is the same as it is for the Regular Force.

You won't have to do Basic as a Private, you'll do your Basic Officer Training as an Officer Cadet. I don't know when the Reserve BOTC is, but it's usually in the summer months for Reg Force Officers.

And for being the same as a CIC, it's not even close. Reserves do the same type of work as Regular Force personelle, just not as often. CIC are part of the Reserves, but are only in charge of Cadets. Your Basic Officer Training (BOQ) for the CIC is only a couple of week (if that) and you stand around in a field (literally) and do leadership taskings. BOTC is actual combat training (ie: learning how to use and maintain a C7, basic combat techniques, NBC warfare, etc)

I hope this info helps.

Thanks a lot. One more question, do you have to Have a degree in order to become a reserve officer? (I'm only thinking of being a reserve officer while I'm in colledge, and then sqitching over to the reg force.)

As an Officer, you'll need to have your degree BEFORE you can get commissioned. That means that during College or University, you'll be at the rank of Officer Cadet until graduation. After that, you'll get your commission and promotion to 2Lt.

In the Reg Force, DND would pay for your College, but Reserves have to pay for it themselves.

Back