canadian military

reil dawg

joining the canadian army in a few weeks. any recent experiences? im looking to go to afghanistan before they try to leave in 2011, should ask the recruiter about that or will that look kinda psychotic?

Depending on when you actually swear in, how long your training will take, and the trade you choose, you may end up there. If you are curious about it, by all means, ask.

But, at this stage of the game and if we leave in 2011, I wouldn't hold your breath for a deployment. If you were to show up for Basic tomorrow, it would take at least 8 months to get you through BMQ, DP1 and then to your unit, and that's if you were no-delay between BMQ, DP1 and going to your unit. Considering how unlikely that is, you're looking at at least a year before you'll see your first actual unit. On top of all that, if your unit isn't slated for a Rotation anytime soon...well...you can see where I'm going with this.

Again, by all means ask the recruiter about it. Really, the worst they can tell you is exactly what I just did. Good luck with whatever career you decide on, and have fun on BMQ. Keep your ears open (and your mouth shut when necessary), and you'll do fine.

Back