Canadian Cadets

cpl_clarke

Who here is involved in a Canadian Cadet Group?

I'm in 2136 Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's)
Royal Canadian Army Cadets

We train Wednesdays from 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM at the Bay St. Armories in Victoria, BC

Former Squadron Commander of the 154 Amherst Anson Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron

I'm a flight commander, soon to be SWO/DepComm/Sqn Comm,(which ever one they put me for) of 746 Lightning Hawk RCACS

The Crossed Swords are given to the Cox'n of the Corps. It's basically the Sea Cadet version of the Air Cadet Squadron Commander and the Army Cadet RSM.

My rank was the coast of arms, Chief Petty Officer 1st Class. The crosses under my rank signifyed I was the Corps Coxswain or Senior NCO.

So, if you have swords signifying that you're the corps cox'n, does that mean that you can have more than one CPO1 in a unit?

Depends on the size of the corp.
It takes a pretty damn huge corp to have more than one CPO1. I think its like a 100 non-senior cadets to every one CPO1. So you would have to have a corp of over 200 junior cadets min. (+ senior cadets) to have 2 CPO1s.

I think thats happened like for 2 corps in cadet history. And they were both probably in Toronto or something!

As well, the crossed swords are used during summer camps, which works well because your dealing with over 5000 cadets. So yeah you would have more than 1 CPO1 at a camp.

But as for me, no, I got promoted to Chief Petty Officer 1st Class and then recieved my swords a few weeks later after being officially promoted to the Coxin.

Well, the more populated the area, the bigger the cadet corps right?
But Sea Cadet Corps are bigger where there is water, but then there isnt as much of a population to join such as in Toronto or Ottawa and the such.

So its kinda a Catch-22 / 50-50 split with us kinda thing!

Where as Army and Air can be anywhere!

I was involved with 614 SC(air)CS Firbirds but after the CO switched to Jaqonelli things went downhill, I didn't get promoted for 3 years and hard feelings developed so I left and got bored for a year (cadets starts to become your life...) so I joined 37 RCSCC Courageous, they gave me credit for my 3 years in Air and I'm well on my way to becoming a P1. I'm curious to see if there's anyone from 716 (I think) lightning Air? I've seen them at band comp and they have a 30 person brass and reed band, it's quite impressive to see their full routine.

sorry for cutting into your post but I had a Q for you. While I was working at the EAA fly-in this last summer and met some of you Air cadets and I just wanted to know if there were very many other programs that brought you guys down here or us up there? :?:
Thats all. thanks

Are you talking about the ARLINGTON EAA Fly-in? I've been there for 3 years (Haven't been able to go the past 2 summers, because it overlaps with the summer training courses that I took. Maybe we've met. What's your name?

In January, my squadron will be holding a joint exercise between the RCACS and the CAP. We will be teaching you guys Aircrew Survival, and you guys will be teaching us Search and Rescue. Just curious if you've heard of this. My squadron is located in the Vancouver area.

The fly-in I was talking about is in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. And no, I don't know what joint exercise your talking about but my squadron is in the mid-west (Kansas) so we don't hear much of anything about what goes on that far north of us.

Back