canadian army

dougal

Hey this will be a poor intro to the thread.

When I was in Canada I had the time of my life with my mates. I fell in love with the contry. At the time we had a spontaneous idea to join the army there.It was a flash in the pan idea but we all knew we were thinking about it in our own time.

With cut backs in the Irish army between numbers to pay, and with the country in a recession and the standard of living still very high here and I am now a father. How realistic would it be to join imagrate and join the army there? Im more concerned with the army end of it. I will goolge it and do my research. The idea is very far back in my head right now but id still like to think of it.

I have a friend taking a year out of the army here and travelling to Halifax but ive a feeling that I might not see him again.

Thanks very any useful feed back.

As a landed immigrant, you're only option (that I know of) is joining the Primary Reserve as a Non-Commissioned Member. At least that's how it was when I first signed the dotted line, and things might have changed some in the last five years. Best thing I can offer is to get ahold of one of the CF Recruiting Centers and ask them directly.

Best of luck if you decide to come over here.

Thanks very much, i guess Im looking for feed back aswell from Canadian soliders on everyday life in the army there and thier prospects. What kind of MONEY they make and Money for overseas?

Well, I can't really comment on hard Army life as I'm in the Air Force...but they do make the same base pay, and right now as an E-3, I'm making about 45K/year gross. But that's Reg Force. Reservists have a different pay system depending on your contract type, A-C. Class A is your weekend warrior type stuff (no offence to any Reservists we happen to have on the boards) and they get paid for days in uniform. Class B works the same job as the Reg Force, but they can negotiate their hours and get paid accordingly. Class C is for those on deployment, or anything related to a deployment. The higher the class, the smaller the gap becomes between Reg and Reserve pay.

Now, there are a whole bunch of incentive bonuses for being in the Army as well. Danger pay, Land Force pay, and what not. Not sure what the exact numbers are, but it's a good bit of extra cash to play with. Same with overseas. You'll get your base pay, and the incentive bonuses that come with being overseas. From what I've heard from guys who just came back from out there, it's pretty close to double what you normally get.

Hope this helps some.

Candada has an Army? You must be kidding... Like, to FIGHT???

Ouch, missed that rumour (though, I know they bought a lot of our German spare Leos when I still was living there, so there just *might* be *some* substance to that rumour.. :) ), last serious news from Canada (sorry, just the Navy.. :) ) were those (admittedly, from 2002, but still fairly revealing methinks...):

http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Canada Warship Seizes Tanker in Arabian Sea" -- Reuters, Feb. 8, 2002 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CANADIAN WARSHIP SEIZES TANKER IN... WAIT...
CANADA HAS A WARSHIP?

Oh Right, and Switzerland Has Nuclear Weapons
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Arabian Sea (SatireWire.com) — Canadian television reported Friday that a Canadian warship in the Arabian Sea had seized a tanker suspected of smuggling oil from Iraq, leading many to suspect that the report was a hoax. [/FONT]

vancouver.jpg
[FONT=ariel, helvetica]The Halifax Class frigate Vancouver. Honest.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"You're kidding, right? Canada has a warship?" asked U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Like for war?

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Does Canada know?" he added. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Nobody was more stunned than we were," said Kali Omari, first mate of the seized vessel. "We saw this frigate steaming toward us, and we were worried, but then we saw the maple leaf on the flag, and we thought, 'Oh, Canadians. What the hell do they want?'" [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]When an officer of the HMCS Vancouver announced that the tanker was about to be boarded, the crew of the detained ship was confused, said Omari, but their confusion quickly turned to anger when they saw what the Canadians sailors were carrying. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"They were armed. With guns!!!" said Omari. "Canadians. With guns. *And* a warship. What is this world coming to?" [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"They were pretty rude, too," Omari added. "They started asking us all sorts of questions, like 'Where did that oil come from?' But first we wanted to know who gave them the damn warship." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]According to Canadian defense officials, the Vancouver is one of four frigates deployed in the region to assist in the U.S.-led Afghanistan conflict. The tanker was stopped, officials said, because its cargo of crude oil violated United Nations sanctions, which prohibit Iraq from selling oil unless in exchange for food and medicine. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The U.N. said the incident is already under investigation, and promised swift action against those found responsible for giving the Canadians guns. Initial findings indicate that the Vancouver crew may have been watching too many American television shows. [/FONT]
For the satirically challenged, read twice, plz, then connect brain to power, then read again... before complaining seriously... :) (this free counseling due to various *very strange* - for not to say hilarious - reactions that I have met over the last 7 yers whenever I posted this reply to a post about Candadian Forces somewhere, it is one of my "classics" and "standards", no offence meant of cause, just cannot resist the temptation to know others will smile for a sec...:) )

Just FDR: I have met some Candadian soldiers in my time, they were w/o any doubt top in all respects... :bravo:

Rattler

Last edited:
Thanks very much AFSteliga. Its a big help. Is the money info on the net? Can you suggest any sites?

Best place I can direct you to is the Directorate of Pay Policy Development. Google it, and you might be able to find something.

Back