Canadian Army Reserves

Alex

Hi. I'm Alex from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, 5 minutes across the river from Detroit, Michigan. I'm 18 years old, still in highschool, have a girlfriend of 3 years and 9 month old baby girl.

I wanted to give everyone the general gist of who I am before I start firing questions.

Anyway. In my spare time I write. I plan to write books, articles, whatever someday, once I'm a little older and settled down. But that's not going to pay the bills. So, I plan to take up a career in law enforcement. Once I finish highschool I plan on taking Police Foundations and Law & Security at St.Clair college here in Windsor and then applying to Windsor Police.

But before all this. I want experience. I want a challenge. I want something to shove in people's face and say "**** you." everytime someone asks me "Where are you going in life?"

I've always been interested in being a soldier. To be brave, full of honor and courage and strength, and endurance, etc.

So, I've turned to the idea of joining the Canadian Army Reserve.
And yes, now I turn to YOU for answers before I go to my local recruiter?

To make it easy, I'll list my questions in numerical order. Not in chronological order however, I have so many, I'm typing as I remember.

1) Is it perfectly normal for me to just walk into the recruitment office just to pick up some pamphlets and brochures?

2) Basic Training, how long? What is included? And what exactly is BEYOND basic training in the Reserves? Do you just continue training?

3) As I've heard, there are many tests and much paperwork. What does all this consist of? Where are the tests conducted?

4) How often do you go away? And where to? For what? Why?

5) Can you be DENIED recruitment? If so, for what reasons?

( haha, these questions are assinine, I know. )

5) **HIGH IMPORTANCE** - If anyone has any information as to the Canadian Army Reserves policy on Epileptics, I would appreciate it greatly.

I'm an epileptic (I have seizures, for those who don't know the term).

Am I still eligible? I'm on Epival, an anti-convulsant which stops me from having them completely. They're also not as bad as most peoples. Sometimes I go 2 years without one. They're rare. But I'm still considered an Epileptic.

Anyone with some spare time on their hands who'd like to take a shot at my questions would be doing a great favour for me.

It's appreciated in advance.
Thanks,
Alex

1) Is it perfectly normal for me to just walk into the recruitment office just to pick up some pamphlets and brochures? Absolutly (just don't watch the videos!)

2) Basic Training, how long? What is included? And what exactly is BEYOND basic training in the Reserves? Do you just continue training? Depends on the trade, usually a few weeks.

3) As I've heard, there are many tests and much paperwork. What does all this consist of? Where are the tests conducted? There are medical tests and a basic general knowledge test (very easy, a monkey could do it) usually testing is done at recruit centers (i think, it's been a while)

4) How often do you go away? And where to? For what? Why? usually summers you are away and a few weekends out of the year but mostly just one weeknight per week

5) Can you be DENIED recruitment? If so, for what reasons? yes, if you have a police record or a serious medical condition, also depends on trade.

( haha, these questions are assinine, I know. )

5) **HIGH IMPORTANCE** - If anyone has any information as to the Canadian Army Reserves policy on Epileptics, I would appreciate it greatly. Not sure but could find out for you.

I'm an epileptic (I have seizures, for those who don't know the term).

Am I still eligible? I'm on Epival, an anti-convulsant which stops me from having them completely. They're also not as bad as most peoples. Sometimes I go 2 years without one. They're rare. But I'm still considered an Epileptic.

Anyone with some spare time on their hands who'd like to take a shot at my questions would be doing a great favour for me. you can PM if you like, i'm also Canadian and live in Manitoba :)

GUNNER

hey i have a question i am new to the windsor area and i was just wondering do you have to finish grade 10 to be in the reserves

Back