The Canadian Army

Status
Not open for further replies.
the seals are in a league of their own

untouchable, you dont know if theyre there or not, coming or going or making your rescue of taking a life.

there is nothing to be said about who is better and who isnt, everyone has their ups and downs, and that doesnt make anyone better or worse than one another

I know a few Seals. I know two Green Berets, I know a few Army Rangers. Something that most people don't understand is that the services all have their special forces with one exception, the Marines...they are the special force.

The U.S. Marine is the best of the best. I've determined that opinion from working elbow to elbow with them for over a year. I would put them up against the Seals. The missions would be a little different, but the Marines might have the edge.

In any case they all peg my respect-o-meter.

absolutely,

i cant give enough respect to the men & women of the armed forces, especialy special forces, i myself hope to psss bud training and become a SEAL

CDT.Ensign said:
absolutely,

i cant give enough respect to the men & women of the armed forces, especialy special forces, i myself hope to psss bud training and become a SEAL

Are you in BUD/S now?

If not I suggest you start training. Here is some of the requirements and suggested workouts.

PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARDS
PHYSICAL EVOLUTION REQUIRED TIME
FIRST PHASE

50 meter underwater swim PASS/FAIL
Underwater knot tying PASS/FAIL
Drown proofing test PASS/FAIL
Basic Lifesaving test PASS/FAIL
1200 meter pool swim with fins 45 min
1 mile bay swim with fins 50 min
1 mile ocean swim with fins 50 min
1 l/2 mile ocean swim with fins 70 min
2 mile ocean swim with fins 95 min
Obstacle course 15 min
4 mile timed run 32 min
POST HELL WEEK

2000 meter conditioning pool swim without fins Completion
1 1/2 mile night bay swim with fins Completion
2 mile ocean swim with fins 85 min
4 mile timed run 32 min
Obstacle course 13 min
SECOND PHASE

2 mile ocean swim with fins 80 min
4 mile timed run (in boots) 31 min
Obstacle course 10:30
3 I/2 mile ocean swim with fins Completion
5 1/2 mile ocean swim with fins Completion
THIRD PHASE

Obstacle course 10 min
4 mile timed run (in boots) 30 min
14 mile run Completion
2 mile ocean swim with fins 75 min

Academic standards are required on written tests before graduation from BUD/S are:
80% or above for officers 70% or above for enlisted
SUGGESTED STUDENT PREPARATION
The following workouts are designed for two categories of people: Category I are those future BUD/S students that have never or have not recently been on a routine PT program. Category II is designed for high school and college athletes that have had a routine PT program. Usually athletes that require a high level of cardiovascular activity are in Category II.
Swimming, running and wrestling are good examples of such sports.
WORKOUT FOR CATEGORY I
RUNNING: The majority of the physical activities you will be required to perform during your six months of training at BUD/S will involve running. The intense amount of running can lead to over stress injuries of the lower extremities in trainees who arrive not physically prepared to handle the activities. Swimming, bicycling, and lifting weights will prepare you for some of the activities at BUD/S, but ONLY running can prepare your lower extremities for the majority of the activities. You should also run in boots to prepare your legs for the everyday running in boots at BUD/S (Boots should be of a light-weight variety i.e. Bates Lights, Hi-Tec, Etc.).
The goal of the category I student is to work up to 16 miles per week of running. After you have achieved that goal, then and only then should you continue on to the category II goal of 30 miles per week. Let me remind you that category I is a nine week buildup program. Follow the workout as best you can and you will be amazed at the progress you will make.
RUNNING SCHEDULE I
WEEKS #1, 2: 2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/ week)
WEEK #3: No running. High risk of stress fractures
WEEK #4: 3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/wk)
WEEKS #5, 6: 2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/wk)
WEEKS #7,8: 4/4/5/3 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/ wk)
WEEK #9: same as #7,8 (16 miles/ wk)

Part II

PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE I (Mon/Wed/Fri)
SETS OF REPETITIONS
WEEK #1: 4X15 PUSHUPS
4X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #2: 5X20 PUSHUPS
5X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #3,4: 5X25 PUSHUPS
5X25 SITUPS
3X4 PULL UPS
WEEK #5,6: 6X25 PUSHUPS
6X25 SITUPS
2X8 PULL UPS
WEEK #7,8: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
2X10 PULL UPS
WEEK #9: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
3X10 PULL UPS

* Note: For best results, alternate exercises. Do a set of pushups, then a set of situps, followed by a set of pull ups, immediately with no rest.
SWIMMING SCHEDULE I
(sidestroke with no fins 4-5 days a week)

WEEKS #1, 2: Swim continuously for 15 min.
WEEKS #3, 4: Swim continuously for 20 min.
WEEKS #5, 6: Swim continuously for 25 min.
WEEKS #7, 8: Swim continuously for 30 min.
WEEK #9: Swim continuously for 35 min.

* Note: If you have no access to a pool, ride a bicycle for twice as long as you would swim. If you do have access to a pool, swim every day available. Four to five days a week and 200 meters in one session is your initial workup goal. Also, you want to develop your sidestroke on both the left and the right side. Try to swim 50 meters in one minute or less.
WORKOUT FOR CATEGORY II
Category II is a more intense workout designed for those who have been involved with a routine PT schedule or those who have completed the requirements of category I. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WORKOUT SCHEDULE UNLESS YOU CAN COMPLETE THE WEEK #9 LEVEL OF CATEGORY I WORKOUTS.
RUNNING SCHEDULE II
(M/TulTh/F/Sa)

WEEKS #1,2: (3/5/4/5/2)miles 19 miles/week
WEEKS #3, 4: (4/5/6/4/3) miles 22 miles/week
WEEK #5: (5/5/6/4/4) miles 24 miles/week
WEEK #6: (5/6/6/6/4) miles 27 miles/week
WEEK #7: (6/6/6/6/6) miles 30 miles/week

* Note: For weeks #8-9 and beyond, it is not necessary to increase the distance of the runs; work on the speed of your 6 mile runs and try to get them down to 7:30 per mile or lower. If you wish to increase the distance of your runs, do it gradually: no more than one mile per day increase for every week beyond week #9.
PT SCHEDULE II
(Mon/Wed/Fri)

SETS OF REPETITIONS
WEEK #1, 2: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X35 SITUPS
3X10 PULL UPS
3X20 DIPS
WEEK #3, 4: lOX20 PUSHUPS
10X25 SITUPS
4X10 PULL UPS
10X15 DIPS
WEEK #5: 15X20 PUSHUPS
15X25 SITUPS
4X12 PULLUPS
15X15 DIPS
WEEK #6: 20X20 PUSHUPS
20X25 SITUPS
5X12 PULL UPS
20X15 DIPS

These workouts are designed for long-distance muscle endurance. Muscle fatigue will gradually take a longer and longer time to develop doing high repetition workouts. For best results, alternate exercises each set, in order to rest that muscle group for a short time. The below listed workouts are provided for varying your workouts once you have met the Category I and II standards.
PYRAMID WORKOUTS
You can do this with any exercise. The object is to slowly build up to a goal, then build back down to the beginning of the workout. For instance, pull ups, situps, pushups, and dips can be alternated as in the above workouts, but this time choose a number to be your goal and build up to that number. Each number counts as a set. Work your way up and down the pyramid. For example, say your goal is "5."
# OF REPETITIONS
PULL UPS: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
PUSHUPS: 2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2 (2X # pull ups)
SITUPS: 3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3 (3X #pull ups)
DIPS: same as pushups

SWIMMING WORKOUTS II
(4-5 days/week)

WEEKS #1, 2: Swim continuously for 35 min.
WEEKS #3, 4: Swim continuously for 45 min.with fins.
WEEK #5: Swim continuously for 60 min. with fins.
WEEK #6: Swim continuously for 75 min. with fins.

* Note: At first, to reduce initial stress on your foot muscles when starting with fins, alternate swimming 1000 meters with fins and 1000 meters without them. Your goal should be to swim 50 meters in 45 seconds or less.
STRETCH PT
Since Mon/Wed/Fri are devoted to PT, it is wise to devote at least 20 minutes on Tue/Thu/Sat to stretching. You should always stretch for at least 15 minutes before any workout; however, just stretching the previously worked muscles will make you more flexible and less likely to get injured. A good way to start stretching is to start at the top and go to the bottom. Stretch to tightness, not to pain; hold for 10-15 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE. Stretch every muscle in your body from the neck to the calves, concentrating on your thighs, hamstrings, chest, back, and shoulders.
NUTRITION
Proper nutrition is extremely important now and especially when you arrive at BUD/S. You must make sure you receive the necessary nutrients to obtain maximum performance output during exercise and to promote muscle/tissue growth and repair. The proper diet provides all the nutrients for the body's needs and supplies energy for exercise. It also promotes growth and repair of tissue and regulates the body processes. The best source of complex carbohydrates are potatoes, pasta, rice, fruits, vegetables. These types of foods are your best sources of energy.
Carbohydrates, protein, and fat are the three energy nutrients. All three can provide energy, but carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy for physical activity. It takes at least 20 hours after exhaustive exercise to completely restore muscle energy, provided 600 grams of carbohydrates are consumed per day. During successive days of heavy training, like you will experience at BUD/S, energy stores prior to each training session become progressively lower. This is a situation in which a high carbohydrate diet can help maintain your energy.
The majority of carbohydrates should come from complex carbohydrate foods that include bread, crackers, cereal, beans, peas, starchy vegetables, and other whole grain or enriched grain products. Fruits are also loaded with carbohydrates. During training, more than four servings of these food groups should be consumed daily.
Water intake is vital; stay hydrated. You should be consuming up to four quarts of water daily. Drink water before you get thirsty! ! ! Substances such as alcohol, caffeine and tobacco increase your body's need for water. Too much of these substances will definitely harm your body and hinder your performance. Supplemental intake of vitamins, as well, has not been proven to be beneficial. If you are eating a well balance diet, there is no need to take vitamins.
TRAINING TABLE CONCEPT
NUTRIENT INTAKE
Carbohydrates 50-70% of calories
Protein 10-15% of calories
Fats 20-30% of calories

IN SERVICE CANDIDATES
Requirements and procedures for BUD/S training application. Package Requirements:
1. Meet ASVAB test score requirement
2. Meet age, EAOS and rating requirement (page 13 may be required)
3. Pass physical screening test
4. Pass diving physical
Procedures:

1. Put in a "Special Request Chit" through your chain of command requesting BUD/S training.
2. Submit a "Personnel Action Request" (Form 1306/7) to SPECWAR/Diver assignment. Submit the following with your request: a. A certified copy of your ASVAB test scores b. Your physical screening test results c. Pressure and oxygen tolerance test results (if completed) d. Your completed diving physical (Form SF88 - SF93) e. Certified copy of your latest performance evaluation report

3. Mail your package to:
SPECWAR/Diver Assignment
NMPC 401D
Department of the Navy
Washington D. C. 20379
Phone number: Com (703) 614-1091
DSN 224-1091/92

REQUIREMENTS
Physical/Mental

1. Pass a diving physical exam
2. Eye sight cannot be worse than 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye and must be correctable to 20/20 with no color blindness
3. Minimum ASVAB score: VE + AR= 104, MC = 50
4. Must be 28 years old or less
5. Only men are eligible
Physical Screen Test 1. 500 yard swim using breast and/or side stroke in 12:30 Ten minute rest
2. Perform minimum of 42 pushups in 2 minutes Two minute rest
3. Perform minimum of 50 situps in 2 minutes Two minute rest
4. Perform at least 6 pull ups, no time limit Ten minute rest
5. Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and pants in 11:30
*As a reminder, there are no maximums on these physical tests. Prospective trainee should provide the best scores possible, i.e., give his best effort.
You may also find these links of interest:
Navy SEAL Workout E-books by Stew Smith
The Navy SEALs Workout DVD
Navy SEAL Recruitment Requirements

SEALs are crazy, God love 'em. I sleep better at night knowing men like them are out there.

Something that most people don't understand is that the services all have their special forces with one exception, the Marines...they are the special force.

Force Recon isn't considered SF?

SF= Special Forces= Army
SOF= Special Operation Forces= Everone else

No disrespect Senior Chief, but, and PJ can attest to this I'm sure, SF types get very touchy about the use of their name.

Maytime said:
SF= Special Forces= Army
SOF= Special Operation Forces= Everone else

No disrespect Senior Chief, but, and PJ can attest to this I'm sure, SF types get very touchy about the use of their name.

What names have I been using that would make you post that?

Seals? Green Berets? Rangers? Those are common terms. The people I know that serve in that capacity have not been referenced here other than the fact that I know them.

BTW, when they wear their uniforms (class A) they have their name tag as well as their designator. The Navy Seal is very hard to miss.

Oh my bad Senior Chief, I didn't see the quoted text in one of your posts. Knocking out some push ups.

man i cant wait for training to start, its gonna be hard as hell, but the staisfaction of passing buds training and becoming a USN SEAL will make it all go away

I wouldn't get into that mentality, but what do I know. What's the phrase, "The last easy day was yesterday?"

Well I can respect your willing to take on that challenge and the dangers that are sure to come with graduation.:salute2:

Senior Chief said:
My experiences in Canada have been as disperse as they can be.

The French portion of Canada basically sucks in my books. The English speaking part of Canada is OK.

I once asked a guy from Quebec what the difference between the French spoken in Quebec and the French spoken in France. His response floored me, "The Quebec French is a much more pure languange."

I'm no fan of France, but I felt this was really reaching for respectability.
Pure was a poor choice of words, but in the end, he was right. The French spoken in Quebec is quite similar to the French spoken in France 300 years ago, whereas Parisian French has changed and adopted words from many different sources. As for your observation about how French Canada sucks, perhaps you would appreciate it a lot more if you made an effort to learn the language. As it is, I live there, and I have noticed that it is mostly the tourists from Oklahoma that make stupid comments like that. Must be the lack of a useful education system....

If you don't like it, then be a bit more circumspect in how you state your opinions.

Dean.

Dean said:
If you don't like it, then be a bit more circumspect in how you state your opinions.

Dean.
Look whos talking. "Lack of a useful education system." Its comments like that which start a flame war. If you are going to correct someone, be mature about it.

And to speak of foreigners making uneducated comments, I'm sure you've all seen those videos from Canadian television where their film crews come down here and make it look like all Americans are ignorant by asking a few some questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back