CAnada's Military

doomshot

I have always wondered what Canada's military is like because people where I live seem to think it has only 4 60 year old tanks and 2 guns.

hell no, canadian are just as updated as the UK and US. their special forces are also exceptionally gd, just like the US and the UK ones.

You can't fault their quality. There just isn't a whole lot of them around that's all. Its mission is to assist in peacekeeping operations and also in coalition combat operations. And for that they are a well organized force.

Tanks have been a lower priority because of deployability issues. Which was why the Canadians were considering switching all their tanks to the more deployable Stryker MGS (mobile gun system).

Hmmmm........
Well yes our military is small, but well trained... Soldiers are multi skilled because of our numbers which makes them easy to multi task. Our weapons are good, Vehicles are for the most part good, Kit is really starting to get excellent, and we preach controlled aggression which makes us good peacekeepers and war fighters.
Yes you are correct, we would not be able to say deploy to Iraq by ourselves because we are small, and I think the hand we lend out to any coalition is a big one...
Ratio wise we had more soldiers deployed overseas on missions than the US last year.
Yes we are getting rid of our tanks and going to the Stryker with the mobile gun system on top of it. (But thats a whole other discussion)
We constantly get praise from any country we work along side...
Our SF is on par with any other country's special forces, but I am not SF so you will have to take my word for it
When it comes down to it... I think Canadian Soldiers are some of the best in the world...

my physics teacher was a canadian airforce pilot..
well..according to him. Canadian airforce is One of the best trained in the world....although in a very small number..he said about 90 f-18s..(before was 120..crushed 30 in years )

it is a funny story when he told us..

he was a new pilot..around 10 hours of time....than there is an accident in his base..a guy with 400 hours of flying time crushed and died...

he was shocked..than he decided to use his physics knowledge in a safer working environment..so he quits

The Canadian Forces are small in number, but are highly trained. Some of our equipment is outdated, like our Iroquois Class Destroyers, but there's a lot of our kit that's very new.

And it is true that we've taken our Leopard C2's out of circulation, and are replacing them with the Stryker, but like Pete031 said...that's a whole other discussion that I really don't want to get into. If my Grandfather was alive today...he'd be livid about the decision. He was the man responsible for getting us those tanks. However...like I said...I don't want to get into that.

i ve heard there is new guy becoming the cheif of armed force in canada..

he seems to be able to increase the size and quality of canadian force a bit

Sexybeast said:
i ve heard there is new guy becoming the cheif of armed force in canada..

he seems to be able to increase the size and quality of canadian force a bit

You realise that he really has no control over the size of the forces right? That's an executive decision made by cabinet and the PM.

well...his recommandation is respected by the government officials that is for sure..

and he vows to upgrade the equipments of the army.

Sexybeast said:
well...his recommandation is respected by the government officials that is for sure..

and he vows to upgrade the equipments of the army.

Every single govt/CDS has promised that exact same thing for the last ten years. As for his opinion; you might notices that his opinion as to how we should structure the military is very similar to the govt plans. Thatis to say, LAV-3 based DFS systems replacing tanks, and an army used soley in conjuction with our allies. We will loose what is left of our ability to fight a war by ourselves; and in many ways this is simply us changing from being a British Colonial asset to an American one.

The question is, does Canada ever have to fight a war by itself? I mean, in what kind of even bizzaire scenario do you see Canadian forces fighting an enemy in a conventional war without the backing of the US or anyone else? I think such a chance is so remote, that the government is really better off making a military that is highly mobile and works to mainly support allied operations worldwide.
You have to design your military around the mission.
And in a situation where a place becomes unstable and Canadian civilians must be withdrawn, I think Canada's got the right stuff for that kind of operation, though I'm not sure what Canada's air and sea lift capacities are.

Back