CAnada's Military

--

January 29th, 2005  
doomshot

Topic: CAnada's Military

I have always wondered what Canada's military is like because people where I live seem to think it has only 4 60 year old tanks and 2 guns.
January 29th, 2005  
gingerbeard

hell no, canadian are just as updated as the UK and US. their special forces are also exceptionally gd, just like the US and the UK ones.
January 29th, 2005  
Charge 7

Ohio is close enough to Canada that they should know better.
--
January 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Their military is pretty much limited to providing a helping hand in coalition-style operations.
January 29th, 2005  
A Can of Man

You can't fault their quality. There just isn't a whole lot of them around that's all. Its mission is to assist in peacekeeping operations and also in coalition combat operations. And for that they are a well organized force.
January 29th, 2005  
Shadowalker

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-0intro.htm

good info on the canadian military equipment here, most of it modern, there are a few exceptions such as the tanks and the Itis, but thats being replaced by the g-wagen.
January 29th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Tanks have been a lower priority because of deployability issues. Which was why the Canadians were considering switching all their tanks to the more deployable Stryker MGS (mobile gun system).
January 29th, 2005  
Pete031

Hmmmm........
Well yes our military is small, but well trained... Soldiers are multi skilled because of our numbers which makes them easy to multi task. Our weapons are good, Vehicles are for the most part good, Kit is really starting to get excellent, and we preach controlled aggression which makes us good peacekeepers and war fighters.
Yes you are correct, we would not be able to say deploy to Iraq by ourselves because we are small, and I think the hand we lend out to any coalition is a big one...
Ratio wise we had more soldiers deployed overseas on missions than the US last year.
Yes we are getting rid of our tanks and going to the Stryker with the mobile gun system on top of it. (But thats a whole other discussion)
We constantly get praise from any country we work along side...
Our SF is on par with any other country's special forces, but I am not SF so you will have to take my word for it
When it comes down to it... I think Canadian Soldiers are some of the best in the world...
January 30th, 2005  
Sexybeast

my physics teacher was a canadian airforce pilot..
well..according to him. Canadian airforce is One of the best trained in the world....although in a very small number..he said about 90 f-18s..(before was 120..crushed 30 in years )
January 30th, 2005  
A Can of Man

whoah, how did he get back here?