Canada's long gun registry is about to die. :-D

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
The Conservative government had passed legislation through the House of Commons to eliminate the gun registry. Yesterday, the legislation was passed by the Senate and all that remains is for the Governor General's signature.

Also I don't think that Quebec will be able to get their injunction. And the irony here is delicious––let me explain.

When the original gun registry was enacted, the Alberta government challenged the legislation at the Supreme Court of Canada. Alberta argued that guns were property and that matters of property were provinical areas of jurisdiction. The Supreme Court held that in the case of firearms laws, the federal government has jurisdiction under the Criminal Code.

Now Quebec will face the earlier Supreme Court decision which is binding upon lower courts in Quebec.

To my Canadian neighbors in America's hat... a hearty HOORAH to you guys. Any removal of despotic gun laws is a victory for freedom loving people everywhere.

Our Firearms Control Act was based on the Canadian Act, despite being told its a failure the ANC wont budge. It's costing billions, money that could be spent elsewhere.

The stupidity of the ANC no longer surprises me.

You seem to have over looked the bit where gun licences for individuals will still be required, and the registry for restricted and prohibited firearms such as handguns will be maintained.

Seems to me they are just getting rid of some paperwork.

You seem to have over looked the bit where gun licences for individuals will still be required, and the registry for restricted and prohibited firearms such as handguns will be maintained.

Seems to me they are just getting rid of some paperwork.

Small steps towards eventual victory... can't win the war in a single battle. The western half of Canada told the eastern half "F#$& You!" when the registry was passed and some Proviences flat out refused to enforce it. That says sonething.

Back